BF2,, WTF man?

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
OK, Here's the deal.

This game is giving me so much trouble I want to throw my mouse through the monitor! I need to know if anyone else is having this trouble and knows a fix:

System specs: Asus A8N SLI-delux, 2x512 corsair xms matched, A64 3500+, dual raptor hdd's 2x74G, 6800 ultra pci-e, 510W pc power & cooling psu

I can play the game in single player mode, but still gets laggy sometimes. (lately even at medium video settings) Online, 90% of the time my machine locks up completely either in the first 10 secs of joining the game or the first time I get into a heavy combat situation. ex: like whenever multiple explosions and people and maybe my death.
Then the last couple days I haven't even been able to play single player even after dropping all the video specs to medium. ( I was originally running high of course) I've gone as far as to defrag the hdd, clear the prefetch folder, end all unneccesary processes in tm, and do registry scan/fix. (regclean type thing)There was the 1.1 patch which I know blew, but there's the 1.02 v on the site which I did run with little to no difference. I've sent emails to EA even with no real help. The system is brand new as of Feb. this year and runs all other games fine at high specs. (HL2, CS:S, Far Cry, Doom3, etc.)

I really itch to play this game but it's driving me insane! Any help from anyone would save my brain from complete and total frag withdrawl meltdown.

<font color=blue> That Jesus Christ guy is getting some terrible lag... it took him 3 days to respawn! </font color=blue>

dhlucke

Polypheme
You should be able to run that game at 1280x960 at high settings. 1024x768 just to be safe. Download FRAPS and see how you're actually doing and check the ping of the servers you're on. I found a good server and now I always play on it.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling. Can't hurt.

<pre><font color=red>Stats Unavailable - Computer system stolen by Wusy</pre><p>

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
I'll give that a shot. But I have uninstalled and reinstalled already. And it's running choppy sometimes in singleplayer which shouldn't have anything to do with net latency. I'll try the FRAPS bit. Will that diagnose anything or are we just talking a frames/sec monitor?

And yeah, I should be able to run at much higher specs, which is why this is driving me batty.

<font color=blue> That Jesus Christ guy is getting some terrible lag... it took him 3 days to respawn! </font color=blue>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I play single mode at 1024x768 and Lighting on medium and AA off, though my card is set to 4x 4x and high quality. With those two on high it was choppy and I have a good feeling another gig of ram would help, but I’ll just lower those two settings for now, since I don’t want to spend the $$$. I have P4 3.3, 6800 U, one gig of ram. Do you have as many Service disable as you can, also eye candy set to best performance? The less running in the back ground the better. As for on-line the only thing I can think of is firewall and if it’s not that maybe trying the game with out patching it first.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
Have you played any of the other game you listed recently? (to see if they still perform well?). It is possible you have a hardware problem (a defective memory stick, or some prob in the gfx card).

If it is just BF2 then a bug in the code is more likely (and then you should be able to find something on it on the net).

BigMac

<font color=red>New World Order stolen. If anyone knows about the whereabouts of it, please contact me via PM. Friendly reminders on forum rules or etiquette are not appreciated.</font color=red>

riser

Illustrious
If you have anything overclocked on your computer, drop it to normal and/or disable it. I found when I over clocked my memory or cpu, it was really choppy.

Though I was playing last night and every server was lagging.. I was pulling server pings of around 200 in the menu, and 70-160 in-game.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
BF2 needs a buttload of ram if you want to run at higher graphics settings. I'm at 1152x864 (why dont they have 1280x1024!?!?), High on everything, and 4x filtering. I've got 2gb of ram and it is usin over 900 of it, lol.
My comp would crash to desktop every so often until the 1.2 patch, havent crashed since. I think the sucker just likes ram.

I mostly join the EA US Official WC servers. The 1.2 patch now shows all the servers as having pings of 300+ but when I join I have yet to go over 20.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Well, Folken was taken so I decided to get creative and do Folken1 :)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
This machine is setup for just gaming. I have nothing running that isn't required by the system. All settings are set for max performance, and I even went as far as to disable the XP firewall, and the router's firewall.

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
I have gone back and played CS:S and Far Cry with no issues. I don't think it's hardware based, though anything's possible of course. I haven't found any advice on the web other than the 1.2 patch, playing that little "login, hit escape, wait, go back in" bit which works occasionally, and the Nvidia driver which I've run with both the most recent signed version and the one they supply with BF2(which isn't signed).

And Riser: I don't have anything OC'd at all, all at stock settings.

Stinkfinger

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
I cant even connect to multiplayer. Even with firewall turned off.
The server list will show all available servers but if i try to connect to a server it just goes back to the server list.
Needless to say i put the game up on the shelf and gave it up.
Very dissapointed i am.

Confuscious say: He who go to bed with itchy ass, wake up with stinkyfinger

CaPtAiN_InSaNo

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2004
Its your memory man, trust me, i had the EXACT same problem and i have a very similar system. I'm running BFG 6800 GT OC(unfortunately its AGP, so this system is on its last leg graphics card wise), 2 GB OCZ PC4000(2.5-3-3-8), A64 3200 oc to 2.4 1:1, 120 gb baracuda, audigy 2 zs, DFI lanparty UT NF3 Ultra-D. I used to only have 1 gb of ram and it ran very choppy, it was always loading, i had to turn the draw distance down to 50% and reduce a few graphics and it still chopped. I finally decided what the hell....icopter and bought another gig, and lo and behold choppy go by by. Another 512 would have been fine too, but i didn't want to loose dual channel and didn't want to waste money getting 2x256's. Also try PCI latency tool, you can get it off of guru3d, try setting the agp/video card latency to 128 or 64. For some reason modern video card tend to hog bandwidth and process priority for the cpu and keep other devices waiting, which can cause pauses and lag, especially in game like BF2 that are not near being optamized and are overly powerhungry.

Asus A8V Deluxe(rev. 2.00) / A64 3200 (winchester) / 1024mb OCZ DDR500 (2.5-3-3-8) / BFG 6800GT@stock / Baracuda 120GB / Lian-Li PC-65 / Syncmaster 700NF / OCZ Power Stream 520

TheMirthMobile

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2005
I am getting the exact same problem. My PC runs BF2 fine in Single Player, then completely crashes my computer in the first 10 seconds or when there is alot of action in Multiplayer.

I've emailed EA about the problem, and first reply I got tried to tell me to get a PCIe Display Card, when I'd clearly stated I had a PCIe 6600GT. Idiots. After writing back and blasting them about sending me a completely irrelevant response, I got a more reasonable response, suggesting that my firewall/router was blocking some of the necessary ports required for online play. So, I configured my ZoneAlarm firewall to allow those ports, and then tried to configure my router. But I found out my router couldn't open enough ports at the same time (courtesy of portforward.com). So, I took my router out of the equation, and instead plugged my cable modem straight into my computer, but to no avail. Same thing happened. It is really pissing my off, because I would really like to play this game. The demo was awesome, and the full game can only be better. I think EA/DiCE just can't admit they have crappy netcode for the game.

I guess I'll just have to hope that the 1.03 patch fixes my problem. Here are my spec, in case they help anyone solve this problem.

Athlon 64 3500+
Albatron 128MB 6600GT PCIe
2x512 Geil Dual Channel DDR400
Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 (nForce4)

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
I have mine oc with bf2 and it is better game play than normal.
xp3200 206 fsb at 11.5.
vcore volts 1.85
agp volts 1.65
vcard oc to 430
vmemory to 1150
frames and game works great at this oc but one must have great cooling for this to happen.

when the team loses blame it on the noob's I was shot for a plane now my goal it to hunt them down

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
What did you do to cause the game to get worse over time? One minute you can play on high settings at least single mode and now medium is giving you trouble, does low settings help? Is it possible while cleaning up you deleted something you shouldn’t have? If it isn’t hardware, then maybe it’s a BIOS setting, video card setting or a setting in the game. I would say turn down some setting in the BIOS. That might help with freezing, but doesn’t explain the choppiness, since your not OC. A long shot would be to disable any PCI devices, like sound and the net card, just to see if that stops the choppiness. You can check the Device Manger and change the View to Resources by type and check the Interrupt request and see how many or what is sharing IRQ with your card and try disable the others if you can. Of course reinstalling the game from scratch and making sure the folder is delete too, maybe search for any BF2 files and search the registry too, would give you a clean start, at least game wise. Then try the game at the recommended settings, before any patches. Maybe you have too many services disabled and window’s is having a fit and you might want to check there. Sorry I can’t be of more help then that. Obviously something is screwed up and the tough part is going to be figuring out what that is and if you can back track what you did that might of made things worse it might help track it down.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Its not your system dude maybe a bit of tweaking your system in the right ways. Its bad programming in bf2. By default winxp set the primary hd to pio mode ever time I have to redo windows I have to change this to dma mode in device manager I do realize you use raptors and this should not be a factor in your case.

when the team loses blame it on the noob's I was shot for a plane now my goal it to hunt them down

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Hehe, I do actually have a little better then stock heatsink and may have a heat problem after awhile of play when tempts reach near 50C and the room tempt influence that when it’s over 85. I have a P4 2.8 OC to 3.36 and everything on in the BIOS. A simple lowing of the ram timing solved the problem though and the problem started after trying to squeeze faster timings.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
hope to see ya in the 6th match soon dude 70.85.132.90 yes cooling is a big factor for the frame rates I think that is why my xp3200 works so good in bf2 with the cooling I have now the oc reallys helps

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I been pretty content playing single mode, but get on-line from time to time. You can recognize me easy. I’ll be the guy running in circles trying to decide which way to go. :wink: I have a ways to go on-line. Some games I get high score and other times I don’t get a single point. I wish they had the maps off line as well. Yeah I agree the OC helps, but the best change I made was turning Lighting to medium and AA off, but still get some choppiness on larger maps and it seems to be more a lag thing on-line. Agree cooling is important, especially with an Athlon if I dare say with out opening up a can of worms. If I had the money I would build an Athlon and for sure would have the best cooling I could afford.

TRENDING THREADS