Sign in with
Your question

Final plans for new build!

Last response: in Systems
May 18, 2006 10:13:18 AM

This is, what im hoping, will be the final plans for my new build. If everything goes to plan, i'll order it sometime next week to get it the day of my last exam. (Monday 29th)

Case: Antec P180 Silver
PSU: FSP Epsilon 700W
Motherboard: DFI LanParty UT CFX3200-DR RD580
CPU: AMD Opteron 165 (Plan on being OC'ed to around 2.6GHz)
CPU cooler: Zalman CNPS9500-LED
Graphics Card: HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X1900 XT ICEQ 3 (Plan on OC'ing to X1900XTX levels)
RAM: 2*1024MB Corsair XMS3200 timing 2-3-3-6

I'm using my existing moniter, mouse, keyboard, speakers, sound card, disc drives and hard drives.

My final questions: Is the silent heatsink X1900XT worth it? Or should i go for the £20 cheaper model from Sapphire, or the HIS one without the silent heatsink?

And, are there any compatability errors that will cause problems? I know that the PSU is at the bottom of the P180, will the PSU wires stretch far enough for all power connectors?

More about : final plans build

May 18, 2006 10:36:28 AM

1. Your system looks sweet.

2. You don't really need a silent fan, it wont be loud at all. Go for the cheaper one if you really want.

3. Yeah compatibility seems good, and yes, the wires should reach.
May 18, 2006 10:54:32 AM

2 thumbs up
Related resources
May 18, 2006 12:38:59 PM

Looks like it will be a sweet rig! Enjoy the build.
May 18, 2006 2:03:31 PM

Looks great! The 700W PSU mightbe touch overkill, you could save a bit maybe by going back to 550 or 600W one.
May 18, 2006 3:08:29 PM

Thanks for the input all. I think i will go with the Asus X1900XT. I'll be getting Crossfire further down the line anyway, which has the standard cooler, so whats a little extra noise.

Also, thanks to everyone who has helped me put this together. It's my first computer im planning on building.
May 18, 2006 4:10:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the input all. I think i will go with the Asus X1900XT. I'll be getting Crossfire further down the line anyway, which has the standard cooler, so whats a little extra noise.

Also, thanks to everyone who has helped me put this together. It's my first computer im planning on building.

Like I will tell someone thinking of going SLI, unless you can add that 2nd card within 90 days or plan on outright replacing the 1900XT with 2 new cards later, don't fall for the hype. If you cannot purchase both cards within 90 days, Xfire (like SLI) is a total waste of your money. If you wait 6-8 months, the best card in 6-8 months will beat your Xfire setup and you spend more money. Don't fall into the XFire/SLI upgrade trap, its a completely dead upgrade path.
May 18, 2006 5:04:18 PM

I will probably be buying the second card at the end of July or so. Any later, i'll probably be waiting for X2k/Geforce 8. =P
May 18, 2006 6:21:53 PM

I am going to buy the same Antec case, plus the non-led version of your HSF, i am looking to make it as quiet as possible by using the acoustipack deluxe soundproofing kit, rubber fan mounts and various other tricks.

The quality of the case is incredible, some nice innovations. thankfully it also matches the Logitech S510 keyboard im going to get.
im not upgrading yet though, just putting together a detailed plan for it.

you can debate cpu's and graphics cards til your face bursts. but the case and HSF is an easy choice. ;) 
!