Pentium 805 - suitable mobos

Preacher

Distinguished
May 28, 2004
I thought it might be usefull if people put what motherboards they have used to oc the 805 and what speeds they stabily got to. Also maybe put the make and speed of DDR2 used.

It would help newcomers to pentium (like myself), to find a suitable board and also build up a very usefull list for the more experianced amongst us.

zoglog

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
I thought it might be usefull if people put what motherboards they have used to oc the 805 and what speeds they stabily got to. Also maybe put the make and speed of DDR2 used.

It would help newcomers to pentium (like myself), to find a suitable board and also build up a very usefull list for the more experianced amongst us.

what you mean like one of the other 20 threads on this forum that already have this?

Preacher

Distinguished
May 28, 2004
I was aiming for more of a difinitive list. All the other threads seem to be filled full of questions like

can i use my ddr memory in ddr2 boards?

or something else stupid. you can search through a lot of threads on the 805 and find little information.

I just thought it would be usefull to have a list of what people done and achieved without the silly questions clogging the thread up.

Preacher

Distinguished
May 28, 2004
and i'm not blaming you for trying.... i'm just saying it's probably going to turn out to be a waste of time.

i think its already proven to be a wate of time, all well you live and learn :roll:

what you mean like one of the other 20 threads on this forum that already have this?

I hear that!

Seems to me that since that article about the 805 reaching 4+GHz was release, every newb in the universe is scrambling and flooding the forumz to find out the "best mobo" or the "best heatsink" or the "best water cooling setup" or the best whatever bull$hit for the 805. And more times than not, they don't own one and are just now (since the article was released) looking to buy one and all the components to go with it.

Newbs, jumping on the band wagon, one Tom's article at a time!

Be that as it may, it's too late my newbie friend...the article was published 5/10/06...this thread was created on 5/17/06...what are we supposed to think?

Besides, don't get insulted at being called a newb, I was a newb once...not really, just saying that to make you feel warm and fuzzy...

Lastly, no one has answered your questions because this is a BS thread.

Preacher

Distinguished
May 28, 2004
Be that as it may, it's too late my newbie friend...the article was published 5/10/06...this thread was created on 5/17/06...what are we supposed to think?
Besides, don't get insulted at being called a newb, I was a newb once...not really, just saying that to make you feel warm and fuzzy...

Mate why the hostility?

I read the article and seeing as i was looking to upgrade i thought this was the most cost effective way! So what if i actually learnt something from the article, last i knew thats what articles like that were for!!

When it comes to overclocking i will hold my hands up and say i am a newb! Im also a newb when it comes to pentiums. Im going to do my research and learn what i have to.

And by the way, you were a newb once too. we all are still on various subjects. So this thread didnt work out how i inteded but i tried. i havent asked idiotic questions and i think you have been harsh!

only_me

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006

i think the best motherboard to use is the Gigabyte G1-Turbo G1975X

it was made to overclock
it uses Intel 975X

supports: LGA775 Intel® Pentium®Extreme Edition/ Pentium® D / Pentium®4 processor FSB1066

Supports 4 DIMMs Dual Channel DDR2 667 memory and up to DDR2 888 dual channel

Creative Sound Blaster Live 24-bit 8 channel Audio with DTS support

Unique GIGABYTE Turbojet Technology / GIGABYTE C.R.S. support

BobVila

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I hear that!

Seems to me that since that article about the 805 reaching 4+GHz was release, every newb in the universe is scrambling and flooding the forumz to find out the "best mobo" or the "best heatsink" or the "best water cooling setup" or the best whatever bull$hit for the 805. And more times than not, they don't own one and are just now (since the article was released) looking to buy one and all the components to go with it.

Newbs, jumping on the band wagon, one Tom's article at a time!

this is exactly what I'm doing. so my question is, what's the big deal? what exactly is the purpose of these forums? it's time for me to upgrade, and i'm really liking this idea of getting a lot of performance out of an inexpensive chip. i haven't overclocked in years (since the days of PC133 RAM), and i have a lot of questions as to what motherboard and memory i should use. i'm not sure what is so upsetting to you about that. i'm obviously a "newbie" and don't know much about these forums, but I would say that if you don't have anything useful to contribute to a thread, you should just mind your own business. what good is a forum full of experts like yourself who never have questions cause they already know everything?

now, onto the real topic at hand here, i came to the forums looking for the same answers are you are preacher, what mobo to use for oc'ing the 805. this was the first thread i saw and read yesterday. i was actually pretty excited because apparently there is 20 threads already to answer my questions. unfortunately, that wasn't the case. there are at most 5 or 6 threads about the 805 in this particular forum, and none of them really give a good list of successful board/memory/fan setups. mostly they talk about whether it's really saving you money or not.

the best thread i've found thus far is this one: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Mobo-Pentium-805-ftopict184630.html in the Overclock->Motherboard forum.

As I mention in that thread, I'm going to try the cheap route to see how it works. i'm buying the ASUS P5ND2-SLI if it doesn't work out, i'll try to RMA it and get the P5WD2-E Premium or maybe the Gigabyte G1-Turbo G1975X that only_me just suggested. i'm not gonna have the stuff for a couple weeks though cause i gotta do some ebaying first to get the money. i'll come back and see if this thread is still active and post my results in case you (or anyone else) can wait that long.

Mate why the hostility?

I read the article and seeing as i was looking to upgrade i thought this was the most cost effective way! So what if i actually learnt something from the article, last i knew thats what articles like that were for!!

When it comes to overclocking i will hold my hands up and say i am a newb! Im also a newb when it comes to pentiums. Im going to do my research and learn what i have to.

And by the way, you were a newb once too. we all are still on various subjects. So this thread didnt work out how i inteded but i tried. i havent asked idiotic questions and i think you have been harsh!

Uh oh...seems like I upset you...sorry about that my newbie friend...relax it's all good...don't get you panties all in a bunch over nothing...truth is, I was never newbie enough to create a bull$hit thread about a topic that was already created.

Also,
this is exactly what I'm doing. so my question is, what's the big deal? what exactly is the purpose of these forums? it's time for me to upgrade, and i'm really liking this idea of getting a lot of performance out of an inexpensive chip. i haven't overclocked in years (since the days of PC133 RAM), and i have a lot of questions as to what motherboard and memory i should use. i'm not sure what is so upsetting to you about that. i'm obviously a "newbie" and don't know much about these forums, but I would say that if you don't have anything useful to contribute to a thread, you should just mind your own business. what good is a forum full of experts like yourself who never have questions cause they already know everything?

Seems like BobVila got is tights in a tizzy over my little reply as well, but I have to give him some props for at least doing a search on the topic at hand...note the date this thread was created.
the best thread i've found thus far is this one: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Mobo-Pentium-805-ftopict184630.html in the Overclock->Motherboard forum.

Both of you, Preacher and BobVila, need to relax, take a few deep breaths, and when you can, read this thread...it's very informative, especially for newbs like you.

Cheers!

BobVila

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
i'm completely relaxed. it just bothers me when someone feels the need to be a dick to someone who is looking for assistance. you've already wasted at least 15 minutes of your time for what? trying to prove some kind of point that you know more than someone else? congratulations. you are hard core.