SOHO PBX with Asterisk

Last response: in Networking
December 22, 2004 4:18:17 AM

Hammond,
thanks for your answer. I made some tests with Asterisk using a
softphone and it seems to work pretty good.
So you say I need x FXS modules for x analogic phones and y FXO
modules for y outbound lines...but do I need a FXO module even if I
have a digital line or it is necessary only for analogic lines?
I have other questions, please:
1) TDM400P card drivers are included in the product (they come with
the digiun card) or they must be downloaded from somewhere? I read
they must be recompiled with the kernel but I cannot recompile our
server kernel or ask our netadmin to do it (he would kill
me!!)...isn't there another way to include them inside linux?
2) ...and if I need 20 phones? Should I buy 6 TDM400P cards? Our
server hasn't got so many PCI slots...is there another solution (or
card)?

Thanks again

Giorgio

More about : soho pbx asterisk

Anonymous
December 22, 2004 6:04:15 PM

ciapalindelcu@yahoo.com (Giorgio) writes:
>thanks for your answer. I made some tests with Asterisk using a
>softphone and it seems to work pretty good.
>So you say I need x FXS modules for x analogic phones and y FXO
>modules for y outbound lines...but do I need a FXO module even if I
>have a digital line or it is necessary only for analogic lines?

What sort of digital line? ISDN? T1? PRI? You need to get a proper
interface card to match what sort of line you have. FXO is for an
analog POTS line.

>I have other questions, please:
>1) TDM400P card drivers are included in the product (they come with
>the digiun card) or they must be downloaded from somewhere? I read
>they must be recompiled with the kernel but I cannot recompile our
>server kernel or ask our netadmin to do it (he would kill
>me!!)...isn't there another way to include them inside linux?

You'd download them off the asterisk site. They can be loaded up after
the system is loaded. But I'd highly recommend that you run this as a
seperate server than any existing server you have.

>2) ...and if I need 20 phones? Should I buy 6 TDM400P cards? Our
>server hasn't got so many PCI slots...is there another solution (or
>card)?

If you need 20 analog phones and aren't going to be replacing things
with IP phones, then yes, having 6 TDM400P cards would be a problem
with most machines. You'd want to either build up seperate servers
just to get the PCI slotage you need, or take the end-stations out of
the PBX on a T1 and buy a channel bank to take the T1 out to FXS DS0s,
or replace the analog sets with IP phones which just talk IP to the
system over the Ethernet.
!