Sign in with
Your question

First OC Project

Last response: in Overclocking
May 18, 2006 1:16:15 PM

So i have set out to attempt my very first OC project. Now since this is my first time i didnt want to use my currnet pc. I pulled my old AMD Athlon XP 2400+ out and decided that would be a good start. First thing i did was went and bought an aftermarket cooler.
I went with the Thermaltake Extreme

Stock FSB(133): With this Fan/Heatsink on full blast it idels at about 45C. While playing games etc it gets up to about 50-51C. I havent seen much difference from low speed to high in temp(maybe 1-2C)

Now i read the above post about OCing an athlon XP and it suggests using 3DMark01SE.

So i went out and got that.

In following the instructions in that post(Here) i upped my FSB by 4 each test. After every increase i would run the 3DMark. im up to 150 FSB and my temps havent changed. This seems a bit odd to me. But it seems correct.

Im getting to the point where i feel its prolly not gunna boot up(prolly between 155-160 FSB) and i will need to up my voltage. Here is where my little problem comes in. My CPU Vcore is set to auto, and im not sure how to find out what its actually at. Is there a program out there that can tell me? Also is there anything else i should be doing other than 3DMark01SE to test for stability/heat issues. This PC wil be used primarily for Gaming (World of Warcraft in Particular). Any info is appreciated.

More about : project

May 18, 2006 2:36:49 PM

awesome man, thats exactly what im looking for.
Related resources
May 18, 2006 3:04:00 PM

No problem bro.
May 18, 2006 3:23:54 PM

Should i mess with the multiplier at all? Some of the other guides push the FSB from 133 to 166 and lower the multiplier from 15 to 12. Does this yeild better performance?. Is lower the multiplier the better? Or higher the better?
May 18, 2006 4:13:54 PM

Assuming stability isn't compromised, I'd say that 166 X 12 would be slightly faster than 133 X 15... if you're really serious about this, why not download a benchmark utility to see for yourself? Feel free to post your results... I'm curious to see if I'm right.
May 18, 2006 4:46:39 PM

Here is some math for you to use to figure speeds of different things you can read the whole article on ocing 754 and 939 platforms at the link below.

Its not for your specific cpu but by reading it you will get a good overview of ocing a little newer stuff and some tips that are always useful like what programs you need to get for testing and benchmarking. Hopefully it will be of some help

Also you may have newer cpus that this article covers that you could oc after your first time with your 2400+

everything after this link was taken from short-media.com and its article

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?p=1&r=300

Calculating CPU Clock Speed

CPU Clock = Reference Clock * CPU Multiplier

Memory speed and dividers

Memory Clock = CPU Clock Speed / Integer Divisor

Calculating HTT Bus Speed

Overall HTT Bus Clock = Reference Clock * LDT Multiplier * 2

As an additional example, let's assume that we increased the reference clock to 230MHz, and decreased the LDT multiplier to 4.

Overall HTT Bus Clock = Reference Clock * LDT Multiplier * 2

Overall HTT Bus Clock = 230MHz * 4 * 2

Overall HTT Bus Clock = 1840MHz.

It is important to calculate your HTT bus speed when overclocking. Failure to do so will inevitably put a cap on your system's potential.
May 18, 2006 9:18:48 PM

Quote:
You need this.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Another good program to download is Everest Home Edition. Its free.

It has a sensors section for temps, voltages, and fan speeds.It also has

some good RAM benchmarks, so you can experiment with FSB and multiplier

combo's and see what works best for bandwidth, and latency.
!