falloutman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
The hot weather is finally here. In Washington, its in the high 70s and low 80s every day after work (at a scuba shop, perfect for hot weather 8) ) so when I go home, I have my thermaltake Xaser case fans cranked to max 24/7 but still have 36-39*C temps (this is with the 3 hardcano probs, one on my cpu heatsink, one on my GC, and one on my HDD) when gaming while my hdd soars to 30*C. Ive been seriously considering dropping around 300 on a DangerDen watercooling kit, but im afraid it wont make a big difference because the outside temp is so high. What are you guys doing to beat the heat?

mdalli

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Hmmm... 36C on your CPU and your hard drive @ 30C is not "hot", not by any stretch of the imagination.

My CPU, for example, ranges from 32C at idle to 42C under full load, but so what? It's designed to run at far higher temperatures than that, and still be considered well within limits.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
One of these days as a cool project I am going to buy a small fridge and set up my computer in it.

Already thought about/tried this.. the biggest problem is condensation.. water getting near components because fridges tend to create a lot of this, especially with the heat output from the PC.

sandmannight

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
One of these days as a cool project I am going to buy a small fridge and set up my computer in it.

Already thought about/tried this.. the biggest problem is condensation.. water getting near components because fridges tend to create a lot of this, especially with the heat output from the PC.

Dang...I never thought about that.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
The hot weather is finally here. In Washington, its in the high 70s and low 80s every day after work (at a scuba shop, perfect for hot weather 8) ) so when I go home, I have my thermaltake Xaser case fans cranked to max 24/7 but still have 36-39*C temps (this is with the 3 hardcano probs, one on my cpu heatsink, one on my GC, and one on my HDD) when gaming while my hdd soars to 30*C. Ive been seriously considering dropping around 300 on a DangerDen watercooling kit, but im afraid it wont make a big difference because the outside temp is so high. What are you guys doing to beat the heat?

The H20 kit will lower CPU temps, but won't do you any good for other

components. Mobo, GPU will have less air circulation, and HDD will probably

run hotter, unless you add some well placed case fans to substitute for

CPU fan, etc. I think alot of us in here would "kill" for your temps on air.

:wink: Don't sweat it.

sandmannight

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006

The H20 kit will lower CPU temps, but won't do you any good for other

components. Mobo, GPU will have less air circulation, and HDD will probably

run hotter, unless you add some well placed case fans to substitute for

CPU fan, etc. I think alot of us in here would "kill" for your temps on air.

:wink: Don't sweat it.

He is right...those are great temps on air. Some dont get that good with water so I would be happy.

falloutman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
my specs are as follows:
Thermaltake XaserV Damier V5000 case (5 case fans, i will keep all of them going with water cooling)
AMD Athlon 3200+ CPU @ 2.0ghz (939)
ASRock Dual SATAII 939 mobo
Antec SmartPower 400w PSU
EVGA NVidia GeForce 6600LE 256mb PCIE GC
1GB Corsair ram (2x512)
1 Maxtor 40gb ATA HDD
1 Maxtor 10gb ATA HDD (media+backup)

blueangel

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
Both my opterons on the system I am trying to sell stayed around 45, it was an air cooled system, I installed a drive bay fan and it dropped the temp down 10, now they hover at 35. If you chose to go water, it will help cool your system, but I would recommend increasing the airflow through your system. Also this may seem kinda no brainer, make sure all your case fans are blowing in the right direction, all should be blowing in, accept for the rear fans which should be blowing outward.

falloutman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
i plan on keeping all 4 case fans that il have left (ill loose one thatnks to teh radiator). I hope they suffice for cooling the ram, hdd and GC. I've seen alotta people that just have cpu cooling and nothing else. How do they keep stuff cool?

blueangel

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
Try to make sure your radiator blows outward, if it is an internal radiator. If you haven’t bought anything yet, go with an external one.

I think the A64 3200+ has a TDP of 69*C or 89*C, so temps of 36-30*C is well within tolerance. A temp of 30*C for your Maxtors should also be fine. I have two WD 160GB drives that are at 44*C. They been that way for a few years.

If you are really concerned about your hard drives you can buy a Zalman HDD cooler for it.

You CPU is fine. You can drop in a big aftermarket HSF like the Scythe Ninja to cool it down.

bombasschicken

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006

HAH 70s and 80s?? come to vegas.. we have already broken the 100s.. my comp runs idle at 39-42c... water cooled.. its driving me nuts.. my room is the hottest damn plance in the house..

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
First you do not need to worry about your hard drive's temps. Unless it is constantly running like a server then you need some cooling on it. For a regular use anyhow a fan in front of the hd should do the trick.

As for the CPU and GPU a good water cooling kit should cool it down even at the hottest during summer. High performance cooling kit like the one from Swiftech and DangerDen can cool chips at 5-7c over the ambient temps on idle and 10-15c over the ambient at full loads. So at summer time you don't have to worry about your computers temps soaring high. Before I have HSF cooling last summer and I'm happy Im getting 50c idle and 55-60 on full laod. Which is a normal operating temps of most cpu by the way. As for graphics cards they heat up to 80c-115c and would still be running fine. Bottom line get a good water cooling kit and you can even mod it. You can get a 3 120mm fan radiator if you have to, if you worry to much about the temps. Right now I have 2 separate water cooling kit. One for my cpu and northbridge and the other for both of my 7800GTX 256 cards. I got for $300 and works pretty good and quite and I have no doubt it will still maintain a low temps this summer.

Looking at your setup there's less heat to deal with compare to mine. So a cooling kit with 2 120mm radiator, decent pump and reservior should keep it's temps down low.

mizlplix

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I have mine in a freezer.....

170 Opt, ASUS A8N SLI premium, 4GB, 2-ASUS EX6800GT in SLI, 4-36G Raptors in RAID0, 700W PSU.

(CD, DVD, Floppy and PSU are external, everything else is in the freezer).

This is a $140.00 Walmart/Chinese made unit. It has an 8" desk fan inside to circulate the air. Boot at 28Deg F. and it takes 2 hours to go to 100F.

The gross heat producing capability of the setup exceeded the removal capability of the freezer.

I removed the Raptors and it works like a charm. (Although the freezer thermostat is a joke.)

BTW: 3 of the 4 Raptors failed to boot at 2Deg. F. (The Opty loved it though.)

Be sure to seal all internal seams and purge with an inert gas to stop frost from forming......(I used 134A).

Cheers....

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

My 146 runs 24/7 @ 2.95Ghz and 38C under 100% load on air with a Thermalright SI-120....it and the case use Silverstone FM-121 fans.

Who needs water cooling other than the top Intel chip people?