Unused disk space

Hi,

I don't know how I did this but I have installed X Pro on an 80 gig hard
drive and have only used 40 gyg. I have no idea how to forma\t the other 40
gyg to make it usable.

When I switch on the machine the 80 gyg is seen but the missing 40 gyg is
not visable from within Windows.

I do not want to re-format and set everything up again so would be grateful
for any ideas.

Many thanks,

Peter
2 answers Last reply
More about unused disk space

    The best thing to do would be to get a third-party partition management
    program, like PartitionMagic 8.0 (by Symantec). They can be great tools to
    have, and they'll allow you to combine, delete, create, modify partitions
    without the need to reinstall anything.

    "Peter Hubbard" <rnc-tt17@btconnect.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I don't know how I did this but I have installed X Pro on an 80 gig hard
    > drive and have only used 40 gyg. I have no idea how to forma\t the other
    > 40 gyg to make it usable.
    >
    > When I switch on the machine the 80 gyg is seen but the missing 40 gyg is
    > not visable from within Windows.
    >
    > I do not want to re-format and set everything up again so would be
    > grateful for any ideas.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Peter

    Hi Peter,

    Click start/run, type diskmgmt.msc and click ok. Right-click the free space
    indicated on the drive and use the disk manager to create a volume
    (partition) and format it for use.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Peter Hubbard" <rnc-tt17@btconnect.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I don't know how I did this but I have installed X Pro on an 80 gig hard
    > drive and have only used 40 gyg. I have no idea how to forma\t the other
    > 40 gyg to make it usable.
    >
    > When I switch on the machine the 80 gyg is seen but the missing 40 gyg is
    > not visable from within Windows.
    >
    > I do not want to re-format and set everything up again so would be
    > grateful for any ideas.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Peter

Disk Space Microsoft Windows XP