KN8 SLI Won't POST

G

I just put together a system with this board and I'm really looking forward to see what it will do. However, I don't have the money right now for a PCI-E video card so...

I'm running an old 5900 PCI board I had laying around. When I apply power, all LEDs appear normal and the fans spin up for a few seconds before powering back off.

The "shadow card" is in PCI-E slot 2 and slot 1 is empty. I haven't heard a beep code, but then again, it doesn't seem to power on long enough to give one.

Any ideas?

I can name the other components if necessary, but I've already tried messing with them and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Double check to make sure you have your motherboard and case connections properly setup.

Is the CMOS jumper in the correct position? Refer to your manual.

Also check to make sure all your power supply connections are correct as well. Refer to your manual.

G

I checked all jumpers, etc. again, just to be sure.

I'm running on an Antec NeoPower HE with both the ATX 24 pin and the ATX12V connected. I also tried it with and without the SLI power connected.

One thing I did notice is that the sound optical output is partially broken. I don't use it and it's not grounding anything that I can see, but the leads are definitely snapped.

I'm in the process of thoroughly testing each component individually, but barring any problems, I am forced to conclude that either a) the board is bad or b) it wasn't designed to boot without at least one PCI-E card in it.

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
Which Antec NeoHE exactly?
We've been seeing an awful lot of dead & dying PSUs recently on the Abit-USA forum.

Have you tried an out of case install to check that there isn't something shorting the board?
& it should POST with a PCI card afaik.

G

Which Antec NeoHE exactly?

500 watts

Have you tried an out of case install to check that there isn't something shorting the board?

That's usually the first thing I do, just so I know it's good before I cram it into a case.

G

Just for the record, I got my hands on a PCI-E video card and everything is working quite well now. I guess that answers my question.

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
I just put together a system with this board and I'm really looking forward to see what it will do. However, I don't have the money right now for a PCI-E video card so...

I'm running an old 5900 PCI board I had laying around. When I apply power, all LEDs appear normal and the fans spin up for a few seconds before powering back off.

The "shadow card" is in PCI-E slot 2 and slot 1 is empty. I haven't heard a beep code, but then again, it doesn't seem to power on long enough to give one.

Any ideas?

I can name the other components if necessary, but I've already tried messing with them and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

list all the specs plz