Sign in with
Your question

Is 51 DegC for a P4 650 3.4MHz cpu normal idle temperature?

Last response: in CPUs
May 18, 2006 6:01:28 PM

I am putting my new pc together, and so far have assembled the following components on my work bench (out of the case):

Asus P5LD2 Deluxe motherboard
Intel P4 650 3.4MHz 800FSB cpu
OCZ DDR2 PC2-5400 667MHz memory (2x1024MB)
MSI NX7800GT video card
Enermax Liberty 500W psu
monitor
keyboard

The ambient temperature is 16C. When I check the cpu temperature using the BIOS, it shows 51C. The cpu is idling. Is this a normal temperature for this particular cpu under these conditions, or is it too high?

My BIOS is 4 versions out of date from the current version posted on the Asus website. Since I am in the process of putting this thing together, I have not yet updated the BIOS.

Will the updated BIOS make any difference in the idle temperature?

What about when I install Asus Probe to check temps: will that make a difference?
May 18, 2006 9:21:51 PM

First off I would recommend a new heatsink/fan for that cpu. The Intel supplied one is both too loud and inefficient. The thermal pad that is included on the bottom of the intel HS/F is way too thick and doesn't spread evenly. When I removed the HS/F to replace it I found that the thermal paste was almost gum like and had melted to one side. I replaced it with an Artic Freezer Pro 7 w/ Artic Silver 5 and my temps went down to 32C and it's much quieter with Asus Q-fan enabled in the bios. As far as temps changing with Asus Probe, the temps reported in Windows using Asus Probe(or any monitoring utility) will be few degrees lower than the temp reported by the Asus bios. If you go to the FAQ section on Asus's website, it explains that this is due to the low power states (C1, C2, C3) that the cpu enables when idle in Windows. The bios doesn't support these features so your temps will be a little higher in the bios.
May 18, 2006 9:56:43 PM

Yes, i think those temps are abnormally high, considering that the ambient

temp is 16c and it's on an open bench... not even in a case. I would pull off

the HS/F and check to make sure that there is good contact. Clean up the

H/S, and at the very least apply some AS5.
!