Canonical Releases Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have seen that they already desgined 30 webapps integrated into Ubuntu (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/07/list-of-that-websites-support-unitys-new-web-apps-feature). My favorites are Reddit and Google+. This only is already a killer feature worth the install of Ubuntu 12.10.

mmstick

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
The best OS on the planet right now, Microsoft and Apple could learn a thing or two from them. Those two companies practically need to dump their current OS and reconstruct them from scratch to even begin to compete with Linux distros.

sayantan

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
All I want is good driver support from hardware manufacturers. For instance installing proprietary AMD display drivers could be a real pain in a**. Also there is absolutely no driver for linux from ASUS and Realtek whatsoever. The open source drivers that comes with 12.04 isn't that good either. Whenever I switch from windows to ubuntu 12.04 ,I really miss the awesome DTS audio that comes inbuilt in my asus p67 mobo. With windows 8 going nowhere I think it is time for the device manufacturers to get their drivers ready for linux.

mmstick

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
[citation][nom]sayantan[/nom]All I want is good driver support from hardware manufacturers. For instance installing proprietary AMD display drivers could be a real pain in a**. Also there is absolutely no driver for linux from ASUS and Realtek whatsoever. The open source drivers that comes with 12.04 isn't that good either. Whenever I switch from windows to ubuntu 12.04 ,I really miss the awesome DTS audio that comes inbuilt in my asus p67 mobo. With windows 8 going nowhere I think it is time for the device manufacturers to get their drivers ready for linux.[/citation]

This is 12.10, not 12.04. One of the features of 12.10 is the ease at which you can install proprietary drivers. Did you know that ASUS, Realtek, and other manufacturers upload their drivers straight to the mainline Linux kernel, therefore there is no need to search for drivers (manual driver installs are for Windows noobs)? Sounds like you don't know much about Linux. Realtek isn't a great sound card, no, it isn't even a sound card, just a low end pseudo sound chipset. I think you should buy a real sound card, the Linux 3.5 kernel Ubuntu 12.10 is using just added support for the Creative Recon3D THX PCIE sound cards Creative released last year, so my surround sound awesomeness is working perfectly fine. All other sound cards from other manufacturers work fine out of the box too.

sayantan

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]mmstick[/nom]This is 12.10, not 12.04. One of the features of 12.10 is the ease at which you can install proprietary drivers. Did you know that ASUS, Realtek, and other manufacturers upload their drivers straight to the mainline Linux kernel, therefore there is no need to search for drivers (manual driver installs are for Windows noobs)? Sounds like you don't know much about Linux. Realtek isn't a great sound card, no, it isn't even a sound card, just a low end pseudo sound chipset. I think you should buy a real sound card, the Linux 3.5 kernel Ubuntu 12.10 is using just added support for the Creative Recon3D THX PCIE sound cards Creative released last year, so my surround sound awesomeness is working perfectly fine. All other sound cards from other manufacturers work fine out of the box too.[/citation]

I never said my sound doesn't work, its just not as good as windows.
I will definitely upgrade my kernel to 12.10. Let's see if that improves my sound quality. In general I like 12.04 except the sound and driver installation part.
Integrating the driver in the kernel is good but manual driver installation should be as easy as windows because you don't upgrade your kernel every time a new driver is released.

mmstick

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
[citation][nom]sayantan[/nom]I never said my sound doesn't work, its just not as good as windows. I will definitely upgrade my kernel to 12.10. Let's see if that improves my sound quality. In general I like 12.04 except the sound and driver installation part. Integrating the driver in the kernel is good but manual driver installation should be as easy as windows because you don't upgrade your kernel every time a new driver is released.[/citation]

You upgrade your kernel every time a new driver that you 'need' is released. Upgrading kernel is easy in Linux, so what's the problem?

mynith

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
I've been using Kubuntu 12.10, which uses the same underpinnings but a more traditional and customizeable desktop environment for almost half a year now, and I must say it's pretty much faultless. Shame only that the wireless drivers don't support 802.11n for some reason (Intel Centrino Wireless-n 1000, might I add, hardly uncommon hardware) and Optimus doesn't work out of the box. But other than that, very good indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS