"USB device has malfunctioned"

November 7, 2004 2:15:06 AM

Have been syncing my PPC (Ipaq) for a while, no issues. PPC itself working
fine. Today i go to sync, get message "USB device has malfunctioned". Did
soft reboot on PPC, also reboot of desktop. No change. Several repeats of
both reset/reboot. Sometimes message is "USB device not recognized" and
sometimes "malfunctioned".

What can i do now? Microsoft's help for this issue says "reconnect the
device, or replace it". Boy, is that helpful (not!). Any better ideas out
there?

Thank you.
Tom Conlon
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 1:48:44 PM

You may have installed some software recently which wrecked the USB
connection settings on your device. I know that Westtek's JetCet Print
causes the problem on my Jornada 567. The only solution I've ever found is
a hard reset. Remember to back up your device first.

"Tom Conlon" <someone@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Have been syncing my PPC (Ipaq) for a while, no issues. PPC itself
working
> fine. Today i go to sync, get message "USB device has malfunctioned".
Did
> soft reboot on PPC, also reboot of desktop. No change. Several repeats
of
> both reset/reboot. Sometimes message is "USB device not recognized" and
> sometimes "malfunctioned".
>
> What can i do now? Microsoft's help for this issue says "reconnect the
> device, or replace it". Boy, is that helpful (not!). Any better ideas
out
> there?
>
> Thank you.
> Tom Conlon

Anonymous
November 7, 2004 5:36:57 PM

Many times connecting the device to a different USB port solves the issue.
It is worth a try. If it doesn't, try to re-install the device driver.

If this still doesn't help, it is possible that you have some malfunction
either at the craddle or at the device itself.

--
Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
http://www.pocketpcfreak.com

"Tom Conlon" <someone@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Have been syncing my PPC (Ipaq) for a while, no issues. PPC itself
working
> fine. Today i go to sync, get message "USB device has malfunctioned".
Did
> soft reboot on PPC, also reboot of desktop. No change. Several repeats
of
> both reset/reboot. Sometimes message is "USB device not recognized" and
> sometimes "malfunctioned".
>
> What can i do now? Microsoft's help for this issue says "reconnect the
> device, or replace it". Boy, is that helpful (not!). Any better ideas
out
> there?
>
> Thank you.
> Tom Conlon

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 7:30:16 PM

If i am getting "USB not recongnized" is there any way to back up?
Tom

"Dennis Langton" <dlangton@wctc.net> wrote in message
> You may have installed some software recently which wrecked the USB
> connection settings on your device. I know that Westtek's JetCet Print
> causes the problem on my Jornada 567. The only solution I've ever found
is
> a hard reset. Remember to back up your device first.
>
> "Tom Conlon" <someone@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > Have been syncing my PPC (Ipaq) for a while, no issues. PPC itself
> working
> > fine. Today i go to sync, get message "USB device has malfunctioned".
> Did
> > soft reboot on PPC, also reboot of desktop. No change. Several repeats
> of
> > both reset/reboot. Sometimes message is "USB device not recognized" and
> > sometimes "malfunctioned".
> >
> > What can i do now? Microsoft's help for this issue says "reconnect the
> > device, or replace it". Boy, is that helpful (not!). Any better ideas
> out
> > there?
> >
> > Thank you.
> > Tom Conlon

Anonymous
November 10, 2004 12:18:06 PM

You could use ActiveSync via a different connection: serial, IR, Bluetooth, WiFi, network card. You could use software which let
you backup to a storage card. Just remember that restoring the backup would undoubtedly wreck your USB connection, if it is indeed
a software problem.

!