Log book

to real lifers'. (i'm still a student)
How long does a Pilot keep a personal log book for flights?
ie: does it end with commercial aviation or is it for all flight time? And
what of Military pilots?

Just curious.

Al.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Al Fraser wrote:

> to real lifers'. (i'm still a student)
> How long does a Pilot keep a personal log book for flights?
> ie: does it end with commercial aviation or is it for all flight time? And
> what of Military pilots?
>
> Just curious.
>
> Al.

I'm lazy. All my military time is neatly logged in my official records
so there's no need to enter it all in a log book. As for civilian time,
I don't remember writing each days flight hours anywhere. It was only
600 hours so it wouldn't be important one way or the other if the chance
to fly helicopters would come up some day in the future. In fact, I
can't remember Papillon asking to see any of my previous flight time
when I flew for them. They just took my word for it I guess.

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 03:07:40 GMT, "Al Fraser" <A-C.Fraser@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>to real lifers'. (i'm still a student)
>How long does a Pilot keep a personal log book for flights?
>ie: does it end with commercial aviation or is it for all flight time? And
>what of Military pilots?
>
>Just curious.
>
>Al.

You want to keep them indefinately. There is nothing in the FAR's
about having to keep one, but you need to document flight experience &
instruction for your Certificate(s). You also need to be able to
show/document recent flight experience to verify that you are current
according to FAR's. If you intend on going for advanced certificates
and ratings, you will need to show the FAA evidence of flight
experience & instruction to meet the requirements for those additional
priviledges. Plus they are fun to go back & re-read, a history of your
flying experiences. I've made sure to make copies of mine, just in
case.

dallas

"S Herman"
> but you need to document flight experience &
> instruction for your Certificate(s).

Just curious, what keeps people from fraudulently fluffing up their hours?

Dallas

dallas

"S Herman"
> You want to keep them indefinately. There is nothing in the FAR's
> about having to keep one, but you need to document flight experience &
> instruction for your Certificate(s).

Oh, and... does you insurance company want to see your log book before they
insure you?

Dallas

dallas

"Beech45Whiskey"
> > Oh, and... does you insurance company want to see your log book before
they
> > insure you?
> No, in my case they sent me a form that asked how many hours I had

Ah, I should have guessed.. standard insurance procedure:

You pay them. Everyone is happy until you file a claim. They investigate,
find fraud and refuse to pay the claim. Now they've got your premium money
and don't have to pay your claim.

win-win

Dallas

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:35:52 GMT, "Dallas"
<Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

>"S Herman"
>> but you need to document flight experience &
>> instruction for your Certificate(s).
>
>Just curious, what keeps people from fraudulently fluffing up their hours?
>

>Dallas

Nothing except the pilot's integrity except for stuff that could be
cross checked.
In the event of an investigation, like after a serious incident or
accident, it could be uncovered.
You have to list the N number of the aircraft, so they could probably
determine whether it's a real aircraft, and that you had proper &
probable access to it (FBO, flying club, etc.)
You also have to list destinations, routes, approaches, etc., & I
suppose it would be possible to check ATC tapes or records for recent
flight activity.
At checkrides, the DE's have to accept what you've written unless they
have some firsthand knowledge, and I believe it's perjury to falsify
the Certificate Application, but the DE's really go over your pilot &
the aircraft logbooks. It not uncommon for checkrides to be canceled
or delayed when it's discovered by the DE that an error has been made,
usually minor. There is a lot of confusion among CFI's & pilots about
how to log various flying activities. The FAA can most likely find
something wrong with everyone's logbook if they look long enough.
My instructors enter all dual hours in their own hand, and then sign
the logbook entry with their CFI(I) Cert. # & exp. date. But for
things like cross-country, you could go up and circle your local
practice area for 2 hours, and log cross-country (more than 50 miles)
and it would be hard to disprove.