Problem solved, thanks everyone - help with cpu hsf removal

Help.

My son removed his CPU from the mobo to insert into new mobo he purchased.
The problem is, he wasn't aware of the latch for the ZIF CPU socket. He just pulled it off...
He needs to insert it into either of the mobo's at this point, but if he lifts the lever on the socket, it hits the hsf and can't be installed.
How can he safely remove the heatsink from the CPU? AMD 64 3500 with stock cooler.
I'm stuck and work and he needs his computer functional!!!
Thanks for any help you can provide.

He got the mobo/cpu combo from monarch and opted for the $15 thermal grease upgrade which is currently listed as "Shin-Etsu G765 thermal grease" if that helps any.
8 answers Last reply
More about problem solved removal
  1. The CPU is just stuck to the heatsink with grease. Gently twist the CPU, either in a circle or back and forth until it releases. Or you can slide the CPU all the way off to one side until it comes off. Be careful not to bend any pins.

    Once its off, clean both the CPU lid and the heatsink with a dab of alcohol or paint thinner, preferably using a static-free cloth or towel. Then add new grease when re-installing.

    - 8)
  2. Im having a bit of trouble picturing what you are describing. So you said that he didnt notice the latch and just pulled the cpu out, so he just tugged on the Heatsync and the processor is stuck to the bottom of it still? If thats the case, try using a razor blade, or something of the likes, and wedge it between the HSF and Heatspreader on the CPU, once you have it in there a bit, try giving it a twist and it should pop off. Be careful while doing this because if it pops off and falls, you could bend pins...Oh yeah, is there any damage to the pins from yanking it out of the socket?
  3. Thanks for the help guys. I'll forward your suggestions and see what he can do.
  4. Quote:
    WTH, are you saying he removed the cpu without lifting the latch. is that possible!!!! thats insane man. lucky not to have broken any pins or done some damage.


    Exactly!! Noob couldn't wait for me to get home Saturday.

    sigh...
  5. Quote:
    Im having a bit of trouble picturing what you are describing. So you said that he didnt notice the latch and just pulled the cpu out, so he just tugged on the Heatsync and the processor is stuck to the bottom of it still? If thats the case, try using a razor blade, or something of the likes, and wedge it between the HSF and Heatspreader on the CPU, once you have it in there a bit, try giving it a twist and it should pop off. Be careful while doing this because if it pops off and falls, you could bend pins...Oh yeah, is there any damage to the pins from yanking it out of the socket?


    I'm trying to figure out how he did this, without destroying the socket, or as

    you said ...bending pins. He must have really had to pull on it, and without

    flexing the Mobo. I think i would tell him not to touch anything else, until he

    does some research on these type of projects. :?
  6. Quote:
    I'm trying to figure out how he did this, without destroying the socket, or as

    you said ...bending pins. He must have really had to pull on it, and without

    flexing the Mobo. I think i would tell him not to touch anything else, until he

    does some research on these type of projects.


    I just called and passed on the info. He is going to wait for me now.

    He said it came off rather easily from his Abit AN8.

    Thanks again for the quick replies.
  7. GL on the project. You should take some pics and write a tutorial on how NOT to remove the CPU from the socket, lol. Keep us posted.
  8. Quote:
    GL on the project. You should take some pics and write a tutorial on how NOT to remove the CPU from the socket, lol. Keep us posted.


    Sorry, no pix.

    Tutorial on how NOT to remove the CPU from the socket.
    Open case
    Disconnect hsf power connector.
    Grab heat sink
    Pull

    Easy as pie...
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Socket