Sign in with
Your question

Internal Card Reader - 64 Bit

Last response: in Windows 7
April 21, 2011 1:05:10 PM

I built a computer using a ASUS M2N68-AM PLUS R motherboard and Windows 7 64 bit. I had an internal card reader ( CX-ICR-005 - http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=CX-ICR-005&cpc=... ) from a previous build. Windows 7 seems to not recognize it properly: various errors and issues including telling me the card needs to be formatted! Are some card readers not compatible with Win 7 64 bit? Reading reviews on Newegg seems like some work for some people and not for others. Can anyone recommend a card reader for my Windows 7 64 bit build?
Details of my system:
WIN HOME PREM 7 64-BIT ENG 1PK DSP - OEM Item #: N82E16832116754
CPU AMD|ATH II X4 640 3.0G AM3 RT Item #: N82E16819103871
MB Asus M2N68-AM PLUS R Item #: N82E16813131613
HD 1T|SEAGATE 7K ST31000528AS OEM Item #: N82E16822148433
DVD BURNER LG | GH24NS50 % - OEM Item #: N82E16827136177
CASE ROSEWILL|R218-P-BK-450W RT Item #: N82E16811147082
4 GB DDR2 Memory from a previous build
a b $ Windows 7
April 21, 2011 1:32:56 PM

I have an inexpensive (inexpensive, not cheap) Logisys card reader working well for over a year.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I use this a couple of times a month to read the card from my digital camera. Others in the household use it for Nintendo cards. The card reader is for a 3.5" bay, so you will need an appropriate adapter tray. Make sure you have two USB 2.0 headers on your motherboard. I used two adapter cables and plugged them into the rear UBB ports on my computer.

I am happy with this card reader product.
April 21, 2011 1:40:36 PM

Ubrales said:
I have an inexpensive (inexpensive, not cheap) Logisys card reader working well for over a year.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I use this a couple of times a month to read the card from my digital camera. Others in the household use it for Nintendo cards. The card reader is for a 3.5" bay, so you will need an appropriate adapter tray. Make sure you have two USB 2.0 headers on your motherboard. I used two adapter cables and plugged them into the rear UBB ports on my computer.

I am happy with this card reader product.

So you're saying you plugged this into the rear USB port INSTEAD of plugging it into the USB headers on the motherboard?
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
April 21, 2011 1:53:33 PM

dnrsslr said:
So you're saying you plugged this into the rear USB port INSTEAD of plugging it into the USB headers on the motherboard?

Yes. I did this because my USB 2.0 motherboard headers were used up by the case front panel USB. No other available USB headers on my motherboard.
April 22, 2011 3:32:08 AM

Anyone else... any thoughts or recommendations?
April 29, 2012 9:44:25 AM

Hi all,
I have exactly the same problem, I installed a new Gigabyte motherboard, loaded Windows x64 and then found an old internal SD card reader which I installed into one of the USB2 interfaces. (I have a question about that, the front panel USB's x 2 are plugged into two of their own USB2 ports, on each port there is a bottom row of four pins which is where each one of my front panel USB are attached, above this row on the same connector is another row of 5 pins which is where I plugged in the card reader. My computer can see the drive, it is listed in the device manager & also shows up within "my computer", when I plug my SD card in though the PC doesn't prompt you to open files or format or see it all, basically does nothing.

I have been looking for a solution for some time now and haven't found the answer. I did get some info of a web search that seemed like it was on the right page but its a little too technical for me to understand how to follow it. This paragraph was taken from the start of the document...

"Installation Considerations for 64-bit Platforms 4
Driver Installation Packages for 32-bit and 64-bit Platforms 5
Driver Packages 5
DPInst Installation Packages 6
Driver Package Installers 6
MSI Installation Packages with DIFxApp 7
Examples 7
Launching the Correct Version of DPInst from an Installer 7
Launching the Correct Version of DPInst from a Command Script 11Introduction
To simplify installation of 64-bit drivers from a 32-bit installer, Microsoft is providing 64-bit versions of the Driver Install Frameworks (DIFx) tools in the Windows Server® 2003 SP1 DDK. The DIFx tools include:
• The Driver Package Installer (DPInst)
• The Driver Installation Frameworks for Applications (DIFxApp)

Instead of writing a separate 64-bit installer for 64-bit platforms, you can launch the correct version of DPInst or DIFxApp from a single 32-bit installer.
32-bit driver installation packages cannot be used to directly install 64-bit drivers, but they can be used to determine which architecture is being run and then launch the appropriate installer. On 64-bit platforms, the 32-bit installer runs under Windows® 32-bit on Windows 64-bit (WOW64), the x64 emulator that allows Win32®-based applications to run on 64-bit Windows. The installer must be able to detect the platform on which it is running so it can install the correct driver package for that platform.
This paper provides information about how to install either 32-bit or 64-bit drivers for the Windows family of operating systems from a 32-bit installation program.
For information about the DIFx tools, see Resources at the end of this paper."

I think this talks about a x64 bit driver for DPInst.exe which is apparently the driver required for older card readers. Even when you have the right driver and a x64 user runs the program, an error message pops up saying "you have to run the x64 bit version of this software" This document explains why and the method required to resolve it.

If someone can interpret it and make it a little more easier to understand I would greatly appreciate it and would be happy to send it on. I think this may help alot of other people out as well who I noticed have vented their frustrations about this same issue in blogs.

Just one last thing, I did also read someone fixed the issue by doing this and I am quoting his response below, maybe someone can help with this one as well :-)

"I fixed the problem.
The problems were because of the Upperfilters... I compared the registry items to a good installation and replaced the wrong entries.
The value for Upperfilters under the Disk drive was "PartMgr, snapman". I deleted the snapman entry and it worked now.
Hope this helps other people too"

Cheers
Dave
!