Problem USB/Charge lead

November 7, 2004 5:24:13 PM

Hi all
I've just purchased a USB/Charge lead for my IPAQ 5550 to use in place of
the standard docking station when out and about with a laptop. However it
doesn't work ? It charges OK, the orange LED blinks, and the pocketPC
switches on, but the PC comes up with an unrecognised USB device error
message.

I have traced the connections between the 22pin IPAQ plug and USB socket as
follows:
USB +ve to pin 1 (red)
USB -data to pin 21 (white)
USB +ve data to pin 19 (green)
USB 0V to pin 22 (black)
there's also a link between pins 1 (+V) and pin 17 (USB Detect)

I am fairly certain these connections are correct although it was a little
difficult to buzz out given the small size of the 22pin socket !

To my mind it looks OK, any idea what's wrong ??

thanks
Chris

PS I don't have time to return to the shop to sort it before going off on my
travels !
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 5:24:14 PM

Some PPCs have a tough time syncing and charging simultaneously using USB
power off of some USB ports. Had you partnered and sync'd with this laptop
before or was the sync&charge cable the first attempt? Try using the
powered cradle with the laptop to get the initial partnership setup if you
hadn't. If that works OK, then try to make sure the PPC is off when you are
trying to charge it from the USB port. When fully charged, you can try
turning it on to sync.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Chris" <workshop@oddys.plus.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
> I've just purchased a USB/Charge lead for my IPAQ 5550 to use in place of
> the standard docking station when out and about with a laptop. However it
> doesn't work ? It charges OK, the orange LED blinks, and the pocketPC
> switches on, but the PC comes up with an unrecognised USB device error
> message.
>
> I have traced the connections between the 22pin IPAQ plug and USB socket
as
> follows:
> USB +ve to pin 1 (red)
> USB -data to pin 21 (white)
> USB +ve data to pin 19 (green)
> USB 0V to pin 22 (black)
> there's also a link between pins 1 (+V) and pin 17 (USB Detect)
>
> I am fairly certain these connections are correct although it was a little
> difficult to buzz out given the small size of the 22pin socket !
>
> To my mind it looks OK, any idea what's wrong ??
>
> thanks
> Chris
>
> PS I don't have time to return to the shop to sort it before going off on
my
> travels !

Anonymous
November 7, 2004 9:23:02 PM

Hi Sven
The problem occurs on my desktop PC, not just the laptop, it is fine with
the standard cradle USB connection.
Chris

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Some PPCs have a tough time syncing and charging simultaneously using USB
> power off of some USB ports. Had you partnered and sync'd with this laptop
> before or was the sync&charge cable the first attempt? Try using the
> powered cradle with the laptop to get the initial partnership setup if you
> hadn't. If that works OK, then try to make sure the PPC is off when you
are
> trying to charge it from the USB port. When fully charged, you can try
> turning it on to sync.
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "Chris" <workshop@oddys.plus.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all
> > I've just purchased a USB/Charge lead for my IPAQ 5550 to use in place
of
> > the standard docking station when out and about with a laptop. However
it
> > doesn't work ? It charges OK, the orange LED blinks, and the pocketPC
> > switches on, but the PC comes up with an unrecognised USB device error
> > message.
> >
> > I have traced the connections between the 22pin IPAQ plug and USB socket
> as
> > follows:
> > USB +ve to pin 1 (red)
> > USB -data to pin 21 (white)
> > USB +ve data to pin 19 (green)
> > USB 0V to pin 22 (black)
> > there's also a link between pins 1 (+V) and pin 17 (USB Detect)
> >
> > I am fairly certain these connections are correct although it was a
little
> > difficult to buzz out given the small size of the 22pin socket !
> >
> > To my mind it looks OK, any idea what's wrong ??
> >
> > thanks
> > Chris
> >
> > PS I don't have time to return to the shop to sort it before going off
on
> my
> > travels !

November 7, 2004 9:23:03 PM

The standard cradle doesn't charge from the USB though does it? It has a
power input. I don't have a 5550 and my assorted PPCs work fairly well on
USB ports. I have had issues with some cables and when the charge on the PPC
is very low though. Is the 5550 one of the ones that has a USB charge
option in one of the control panels? I don't think your cable is built
wrong, it just may be a USB port power issue, or a current issue (cable
resistance) that you can't solve with your current setup.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Chris and Patsy >.plus.com>" <News@<<oddys> wrote in message
> Hi Sven
> The problem occurs on my desktop PC, not just the laptop, it is fine with
> the standard cradle USB connection.
> Chris
>
> "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Some PPCs have a tough time syncing and charging simultaneously using
USB
> > power off of some USB ports. Had you partnered and sync'd with this
laptop
> > before or was the sync&charge cable the first attempt? Try using the
> > powered cradle with the laptop to get the initial partnership setup if
you
> > hadn't. If that works OK, then try to make sure the PPC is off when you
> are
> > trying to charge it from the USB port. When fully charged, you can try
> > turning it on to sync.
> >
> > --
> > Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> > "Chris" <workshop@oddys.plus.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi all
> > > I've just purchased a USB/Charge lead for my IPAQ 5550 to use in place
> of
> > > the standard docking station when out and about with a laptop.
However
> it
> > > doesn't work ? It charges OK, the orange LED blinks, and the pocketPC
> > > switches on, but the PC comes up with an unrecognised USB device error
> > > message.
> > >
> > > I have traced the connections between the 22pin IPAQ plug and USB
socket
> > as
> > > follows:
> > > USB +ve to pin 1 (red)
> > > USB -data to pin 21 (white)
> > > USB +ve data to pin 19 (green)
> > > USB 0V to pin 22 (black)
> > > there's also a link between pins 1 (+V) and pin 17 (USB Detect)
> > >
> > > I am fairly certain these connections are correct although it was a
> little
> > > difficult to buzz out given the small size of the 22pin socket !
> > >
> > > To my mind it looks OK, any idea what's wrong ??
> > >
> > > thanks
> > > Chris
> > >
> > > PS I don't have time to return to the shop to sort it before going off
> on
> > my
> > > travels !

Anonymous
November 7, 2004 9:23:03 PM

P.S. I gather you are short on time too. I'm guessing you are in England.
Maybe http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=114210 can help out. Many
have had good luck with the PPCtechs cables.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Chris and Patsy >.plus.com>" <News@<<oddys> wrote in message
> Hi Sven
> The problem occurs on my desktop PC, not just the laptop, it is fine with
> the standard cradle USB connection.
> Chris
>
> "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Some PPCs have a tough time syncing and charging simultaneously using
USB
> > power off of some USB ports. Had you partnered and sync'd with this
laptop
> > before or was the sync&charge cable the first attempt? Try using the
> > powered cradle with the laptop to get the initial partnership setup if
you
> > hadn't. If that works OK, then try to make sure the PPC is off when you
> are
> > trying to charge it from the USB port. When fully charged, you can try
> > turning it on to sync.
> >
> > --
> > Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> > "Chris" <workshop@oddys.plus.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi all
> > > I've just purchased a USB/Charge lead for my IPAQ 5550 to use in place
> of
> > > the standard docking station when out and about with a laptop.
However
> it
> > > doesn't work ? It charges OK, the orange LED blinks, and the pocketPC
> > > switches on, but the PC comes up with an unrecognised USB device error
> > > message.
> > >
> > > I have traced the connections between the 22pin IPAQ plug and USB
socket
> > as
> > > follows:
> > > USB +ve to pin 1 (red)
> > > USB -data to pin 21 (white)
> > > USB +ve data to pin 19 (green)
> > > USB 0V to pin 22 (black)
> > > there's also a link between pins 1 (+V) and pin 17 (USB Detect)
> > >
> > > I am fairly certain these connections are correct although it was a
> little
> > > difficult to buzz out given the small size of the 22pin socket !
> > >
> > > To my mind it looks OK, any idea what's wrong ??
> > >
> > > thanks
> > > Chris
> > >
> > > PS I don't have time to return to the shop to sort it before going off
> on
> > my
> > > travels !

Anonymous
November 8, 2004 11:13:20 AM

Some USB ports are powered (as are hubs with separate power supplies), some
aren't and can maybe supply around 100mA- depending on what's using your USB
there may be insufficient power to charge.

> The standard cradle doesn't charge from the USB though does it? It has a
> power input. I don't have a 5550 and my assorted PPCs work fairly well on
> USB ports. I have had issues with some cables and when the charge on the
PPC
> is very low though. Is the 5550 one of the ones that has a USB charge
> option in one of the control panels? I don't think your cable is built
> wrong, it just may be a USB port power issue, or a current issue (cable
> resistance) that you can't solve with your current setup.
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "Chris and Patsy >.plus.com>" <News@<<oddys> wrote in message
> > Hi Sven
> > The problem occurs on my desktop PC, not just the laptop, it is fine
with
> > the standard cradle USB connection.
> > Chris
> >
> > "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Some PPCs have a tough time syncing and charging simultaneously using
> USB
> > > power off of some USB ports. Had you partnered and sync'd with this
> laptop
> > > before or was the sync&charge cable the first attempt? Try using the
> > > powered cradle with the laptop to get the initial partnership setup if
> you
> > > hadn't. If that works OK, then try to make sure the PPC is off when
you
> > are
> > > trying to charge it from the USB port. When fully charged, you can try
> > > turning it on to sync.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> > > "Chris" <workshop@oddys.plus.com> wrote in message
> > of
> However
> > it

> socket
> > > as

> > little

> > on
> > > my

November 8, 2004 11:26:38 AM

I think I know what your problem is, there are 2 types of USB charge cable,
the correct version for the 5550 does not have a link in the PDA plug which
connects the +V USB feed direct to the normal DC charge input pin, the
reason that they put this in is so that the cable is universal, it will work
with 2210, 4150 etc as they don't have a USB charge option in the software,
with this link in it means that the Ipaq can pull the maximum amount of
current from the USB port, because of this the voltage can dip and hence not
have sufficient drive levels for correct USB operation, you should take
apart the plug and cut this link then enable USB charging on the Ipaq, you
should then find all will be OK. I believe the reason for this problem on
the 5450 / 5550 is that they have the highest charging current out of all
the Ipaqs.

Dave

"Chris" <workshop@oddys.plus.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
> I've just purchased a USB/Charge lead for my IPAQ 5550 to use in place of
> the standard docking station when out and about with a laptop. However it
> doesn't work ? It charges OK, the orange LED blinks, and the pocketPC
> switches on, but the PC comes up with an unrecognised USB device error
> message.
>
> I have traced the connections between the 22pin IPAQ plug and USB socket
> as follows:
> USB +ve to pin 1 (red)
> USB -data to pin 21 (white)
> USB +ve data to pin 19 (green)
> USB 0V to pin 22 (black)
> there's also a link between pins 1 (+V) and pin 17 (USB Detect)
>
> I am fairly certain these connections are correct although it was a little
> difficult to buzz out given the small size of the 22pin socket !
>
> To my mind it looks OK, any idea what's wrong ??
>
> thanks
> Chris
>
> PS I don't have time to return to the shop to sort it before going off on
> my travels !

November 8, 2004 11:37:37 PM

Hi Dave
I've had a play with the USB Charging settings under Settings/Power. If I
turn off USB charge or switch to Slow charge it works OK, the problem only
occurs on Fast charge, so perhaps you are right !
The only link from the USB+V is to a pin called USB Detect, is this the link
that needs to be chopped ?

thanks
Chris

"Dave" <dave(no spam)@diw.d2g.com> wrote in message
>I think I know what your problem is, there are 2 types of USB charge cable,
>the correct version for the 5550 does not have a link in the PDA plug which
>connects the +V USB feed direct to the normal DC charge input pin, the
>reason that they put this in is so that the cable is universal, it will
>work with 2210, 4150 etc as they don't have a USB charge option in the
>software, with this link in it means that the Ipaq can pull the maximum
>amount of current from the USB port, because of this the voltage can dip
>and hence not have sufficient drive levels for correct USB operation, you
>should take apart the plug and cut this link then enable USB charging on
>the Ipaq, you should then find all will be OK. I believe the reason for
>this problem on the 5450 / 5550 is that they have the highest charging
>current out of all the Ipaqs.
>
> Dave
>

> "Chris" <workshop@oddys.plus.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all
>> I've just purchased a USB/Charge lead for my IPAQ 5550 to use in place of
>> the standard docking station when out and about with a laptop. However
>> it doesn't work ? It charges OK, the orange LED blinks, and the pocketPC
>> switches on, but the PC comes up with an unrecognised USB device error
>> message.
>>
>> I have traced the connections between the 22pin IPAQ plug and USB socket
>> as follows:
>> USB +ve to pin 1 (red)
>> USB -data to pin 21 (white)
>> USB +ve data to pin 19 (green)
>> USB 0V to pin 22 (black)
>> there's also a link between pins 1 (+V) and pin 17 (USB Detect)
>>
>> I am fairly certain these connections are correct although it was a
>> little difficult to buzz out given the small size of the 22pin socket !
>>
>> To my mind it looks OK, any idea what's wrong ??
>>
>> thanks
>> Chris
>>
>> PS I don't have time to return to the shop to sort it before going off on
>> my travels !

November 9, 2004 11:37:12 AM

Hi Chris,

It sounds to my like you do have a lead specific for the 5550 as if the link
I was talking about was in place your Ipaq would still charge even with the
USB charging option turned off as it would think it was connected to a
normal DC supply. Looks to me like your USB ports on both the machines you
have tried just can't supply enough current on the high setting, just out of
curiosity what level do you have the back light set on when you are trying
to charging at a high rate because this is also going to increase current
consumption from the USB port.

Dave.

> Hi Dave
> I've had a play with the USB Charging settings under Settings/Power. If I
> turn off USB charge or switch to Slow charge it works OK, the problem only
> occurs on Fast charge, so perhaps you are right !
> The only link from the USB+V is to a pin called USB Detect, is this the
> link that needs to be chopped ?
>
> thanks
> Chris
>

> "Dave" <dave(no spam)@diw.d2g.com> wrote in message
>>I think I know what your problem is, there are 2 types of USB charge
>>cable, the correct version for the 5550 does not have a link in the PDA
>>plug which connects the +V USB feed direct to the normal DC charge input
>>pin, the reason that they put this in is so that the cable is universal,
>>it will work with 2210, 4150 etc as they don't have a USB charge option in
>>the software, with this link in it means that the Ipaq can pull the
>>maximum amount of current from the USB port, because of this the voltage
>>can dip and hence not have sufficient drive levels for correct USB
>>operation, you should take apart the plug and cut this link then enable
>>USB charging on the Ipaq, you should then find all will be OK. I believe
>>the reason for this problem on the 5450 / 5550 is that they have the
>>highest charging current out of all the Ipaqs.
>>
>> Dave
>>

>> "Chris" <workshop@oddys.plus.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi all
>>> I've just purchased a USB/Charge lead for my IPAQ 5550 to use in place
>>> of the standard docking station when out and about with a laptop.
>>> However it doesn't work ? It charges OK, the orange LED blinks, and the
>>> pocketPC switches on, but the PC comes up with an unrecognised USB
>>> device error message.
>>>
>>> I have traced the connections between the 22pin IPAQ plug and USB socket
>>> as follows:
>>> USB +ve to pin 1 (red)
>>> USB -data to pin 21 (white)
>>> USB +ve data to pin 19 (green)
>>> USB 0V to pin 22 (black)
>>> there's also a link between pins 1 (+V) and pin 17 (USB Detect)
>>>
>>> I am fairly certain these connections are correct although it was a
>>> little difficult to buzz out given the small size of the 22pin socket !
>>>
>>> To my mind it looks OK, any idea what's wrong ??
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> Chris
>>>
>>> PS I don't have time to return to the shop to sort it before going off
>>> on my travels !

Anonymous
November 9, 2004 8:47:00 PM

Dave

It works fine with the original supplied cable/cradle both on my desktop and
Laptop PC so there's nothing wrong with the USB ports ? I guess there must
be something different with the power wiring in the lead. The answer will
be found when I can get the cradle apart but its held together with very
small Torx type screws. I hope to get hold of a Torx set later in the week
then perhaps I'll see what the difference is !

regards

!