Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need OSX on Macbook with XP

Last response: in Mac Os X
September 26, 2012 1:29:35 AM

So I have a weird question here. I have a Macbook but it only has Windows XP on it; no OS X (I didn't do that, don't blame me :) ). Obviously, it's functionality is somewhat limited so I'm trying to get a legit copy of OS X, but the Apple website only gives options for upgrading. Since every Macbook in the world is sold with their OS, why would anyone need to buy one outright? Good question. But that's what I need.

Any thoughts?

More about : osx macbook

September 27, 2012 8:00:56 AM

Check wat version of MacBook you have, to run XP it would need to be a relatively old build, it may limit the build of OS X you can install. Have you tried holding down the alt key on power-up to see if OS X is still there?
m
l
Related resources
September 27, 2012 8:30:57 PM

JustSomeJoe said:
Check wat version of MacBook you have, to run XP it would need to be a relatively old build, it may limit the build of OS X you can install. Have you tried holding down the alt key on power-up to see if OS X is still there?

We have tried to hold down the alt key. Only XP is showing. I downloaded an OS X Lion dmg file to see if it would even work. Having burned it in Windows to a dvd, it doesn't show up as an option to boot from. Though I think now that we didn't burn it as an image. Is that possible to do with a dmg file in Windows?
m
l
September 27, 2012 10:41:45 PM

buggaby said:
We have tried to hold down the alt key. Only XP is showing. I downloaded an OS X Lion dmg file to see if it would even work. Having burned it in Windows to a dvd, it doesn't show up as an option to boot from. Though I think now that we didn't burn it as an image. Is that possible to do with a dmg file in Windows?

Burning .dmg files from within Windows isn't unheard of, .dmg is just an archive format not unlike .iso or .img

The Mac OS installer is actually one part of a toolset, the rest are disk management and diagnostic tools. I actually really like the OSX installer, it's far less painful than installing Windows. Burn it, boot from it, create a partition, and install to that partition.
m
l
October 4, 2012 11:59:35 PM

I ended up just downloading a disk image of Lion and burning it with a software that allows windows machines to burn MAC disk images. Only then could I boot it from the disk, though I couldn't partition the single drive into an XP and a Lion dual boot (I guess because each has a different and mutually incompatible formatting style).

Thanks everyone
m
l

Best solution

October 6, 2012 8:19:53 AM

Lion needs a GUID/GPT partition map to boot. I don't know how to set it up from Windows, but you can set up your dual boot from the Mac side. If you've got all your data backed up, boot from your Lion disk and use the disk utility to make a GUID partition on your drive for OSX. This can be done dynamically in Lion, so if you don't have much on the computer, you MIGHT be able to do it without destroying your Windows side.

If you're trying to preserve Windows, you'll first need to confirm there is a unix compatible partition somewhere still on the drive; try holding the ⌘ and S keys during startup. I don't know any, but you can probably find a disk utility for Windows that can identify every drive partition and see every sector. There's a great free Unix utility called 'gdisk' that you can use to manually adjust your partitions at the specific drive sector level, but you'll need to already be running the Unix kernel to use it. gdisk will let you designate a discreet free space partition that the OSX Disk Utility can then partition as a GUID/Mac OS Extended Journaled volume to install to and boot from.

Another option, boot into Linux, where you can again designate a drive partition that your OSX start-up optical disk can then format and install the system onto.

There might be ways to do the above from within Windows, but I don't know them, and I doubt Windows can partition a drive OSX would be able to start-up from.

Good luck!
October 16, 2012 3:48:23 AM

Best answer selected by buggaby.
m
l
!