England's Soccer Team Faces New Rules About Tweeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

How about monitoring all those "acting performances" on the field instead?

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Censorship is never a good thing. This seems to be out of complete fear of criticism whether warranted or not. Also limiting their video game and phone time? We are talking about adult athletes here right? When you treat your athletes like children is there any wonder why they voice discontent?

[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Oh you Americas, the rest of the world calls this game football[/citation]

We Americans are slow at adapting to changes, so soccer it remains. You should be happy that we even some what play the sport here after Soccer is the first sport to come out of the closet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xLn-X8YJRg

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Oh you Americas, the rest of the world calls this game football[/citation]

Two quick observations:

1) It is UK writer Jane who wrote the article.

2) Football is used for a different sport here in the US. It would either be confusing or overly verbose (Association Football) to change our name for the sport from soccer to football.

nieur

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
why the hell FA concerns how much time players play video games? if they are regular on practice/fitness sessions it is none of FA's concern what player do in their free time

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

And? We still use the Imperial Measurement system. One of the southwestern states tried to include metric system in their highway signs back in the 70's or 80's, and I do believe most of them have been removed because they were confusing drivers.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]And? We still use the Imperial Measurement system.

Yep, we -the USA- are the only industrial nation left that has not figured out that the metric system is easier to use.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom][citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]And? We still use the Imperial Measurement system. Yep, we -the USA- are the only industrial nation left that has not figured out that the metric system is easier to use.[/citation]
i love how im looked at like a moron because i have no clue what any of the imperial measurements are
distance... volume mesurement... weight...
im 24, and i have yet to learn any of that crap,
but i know the metric system...

and in school, it was me and a drug dealer were the only ones who knew the metric system... well... he knew the conversions for imperial to metric for reasons we can all guess.

G

"Chelsea's Ashley Cole got himself into hot water after posting insulting remarks about the Football Association on his Twitter page."

I completely disagree. Players should be able to freely criticize their league and organization.

sun-devil99

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]And? We still use the Imperial Measurement system. One of the southwestern states tried to include metric system in their highway signs back in the 70's or 80's, and I do believe most of them have been removed because they were confusing drivers.[/citation]
Actually, I-19 in AZ from Tucson to the Mexican Border is still signed in Metric. All the rest of the highways are signed in Imperial.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]staradmiral[/nom]"Chelsea's Ashley Cole got himself into hot water after posting insulting remarks about the Football Association on his Twitter page."I completely disagree. Players should be able to freely criticize their league and organization.[/citation]
You don't see people freely criticizing their companies or bosses. If they did, they'd probably get fired.

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
LOL, if you use your phone on the field... YOU AGE GROUNDED! no video games for you at all!!!

So, professional sports players need to be treated like 12 year olds?

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Censorship is never a good thing. This seems to be out of complete fear of criticism whether warranted or not. Also limiting their video game and phone time? We are talking about adult athletes here right? When you treat your athletes like children is there any wonder why they voice discontent?We Americans are slow at adapting to changes, so soccer it remains. You should be happy that we even some what play the sport here after Soccer is the first sport to come out of the closet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xLn-X8YJRg[/citation]

Many places they're referred to as soccer fags, implying it is a gay man's sport.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]nieur[/nom]why the hell FA concerns how much time players play video games? if they are regular on practice/fitness sessions it is none of FA's concern what player do in their free time[/citation]

Hell, even then it shouldn't be the association's concern. If they don't show up to games or practice the team should deal with them. I could maybe see them restricting commenting on the game during the game, especially if it relates to how they're playing, but outside of that, no.

buckcm

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Censorship is never a good thing. This seems to be out of complete fear of criticism whether warranted or not. Also limiting their video game and phone time? We are talking about adult athletes here right? When you treat your athletes like children is there any wonder why they voice discontent?We Americans are slow at adapting to changes, so soccer it remains. You should be happy that we even some what play the sport here after Soccer is the first sport to come out of the closet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xLn-X8YJRg[/citation]

Because athletes act like children. There are a number of cases in US sports where athletes have sent obnoxious tweets. Look up Rashard Mendenhall of the Pittsburgh Steelers since you probably have not heard of him before. You'll be amused if you do.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Oh you whoever you are, you should know that the British came up with the word soccer for the game so don't get upset when someone uses it. Oh yeah, one other thing the USA is not the only place that calls soccer, soccer and football is not the only word for the game, it tends to vary from one country to another, have a nice day.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008

oh your Non americans, when we see some one say something this snooty , we call it sticking your head up your own a--

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]Oh you whoever you are, you should know that the British came up with the word soccer for the game so don't get upset when someone uses it. Oh yeah, one other thing the USA is not the only place that calls soccer, soccer and football is not the only word for the game, it tends to vary from one country to another, have a nice day.[/citation]

Nah ah. It doesnt.
Im pretty sure that the US is the only country that uses that name in a colloquial, everyday way. The very world association calls it football, I mean come on, its not like it 'varies from country to country' since all teams subscribed (pretty much every team in the world) are supposed to notice the word FOOTBALL in the name. Still, pretty sure that only the US calls it soccer. All spanish-portuguese speaking countries call it football. Africa as well. Not sure about Europe, but im pretty sure they use football as well.

Anyway, kind of a stubborn decision there, to call it football, IMHO. As well as the use of the Imperial system, considering that the VERY FOUNDATIONS of freakin science are written in metric.

@Article: I dont like football :troll:, but anyway most of these sportsman are actually quite eccentric and often childish for their public behavior. High ranking teams cannot leave their image (what they actually sell) in the hands of, IMO, such immature people. I suppose to be transfered/valued in millions of dollars spoils those guys' egos

PS: american football, wtf they run with the ball in their hands, sometimes kick it but thats it. Fuck logic.

Soccer is perhaps the most boring ass sport in the history of mankind. Hours of running around kicking a ball back and forth where MAYBE a high scoring and exciting game is 2-1. So forgive we ignorant Americans if we aren't quite up to a dullard game like you non-Americans are.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]azraa[/nom]PS: american football, wtf they run with the ball in their hands, sometimes kick it but thats it. Fuck logic.[/citation]
THIS is the bit that blows my mind. Should've been called handball :D haha

Never mind the soccer-football name argument. At least football (...'soccer') involves FEET.

Seriously, what's up with that?

adriann

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012
[citation][nom]10tacle[/nom]Soccer is perhaps the most boring ass sport in the history of mankind. Hours of running around kicking a ball back and forth where MAYBE a high scoring and exciting game is 2-1. So forgive we ignorant Americans if we aren't quite up to a dullard game like you non-Americans are.[/citation]

haha, that is funny!!!
american football is so excitig!
they run for 10 seconds, then break! after few minutes of talking and moving here and there they play for another 15 seconds. Oops, break again.
why is like that? so all people can understand it? or they get so tired so fast?
even rugby is 3 times faster then your "handball" or "brakeball" , and you won't see there helmets, because they are afraid of hits.

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
[citation][nom]staradmiral[/nom]"Chelsea's Ashley Cole got himself into hot water after posting insulting remarks about the Football Association on his Twitter page."I completely disagree. Players should be able to freely criticize their league and organization.[/citation]

If this were anything other than professional sports his ass would be fired on the spot if the company found out about comments like that. This is completely reasonable and is trying to clean up the double standard there is for all of those over-privileged athletes out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.