Can I use my PSU - Enermax EG651P-VE (FMA) in China?

palmtree

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
Looks like I need help from an electrician who is also computer expert:D

My system uses Enermax EG651P-VE (FMA) PSU bought in the US. I want to take the PSU and my system to work in mainland China.

EG651P-VE (FMA) Spec Excerpt - INPUT
Voltage rating: 90V~135V AC or 180V~265V AC
(selected by slide switch)
Iin=115/230Vac: 13A / 8A
Frequency: 47Hz~63Hz
Inrush current: 60A max./230V (at cold start)

Where I bought it + Specs: http://www.xpcgear.com/eg651pvefm24p.html
Official specs: http://www.coolergiant.com/products/power_supplies/EG465P-VE.html
Official installation guide with images: http://www.enermax.com.tw/english/service_quick.asp

China uses 220V voltage and 50Hz frequency in contrast to 120V and 60Hz in the US. I really want to double-check that Enermax PSU Model: EG651P-VE (FMA) SUPPORTS FULLY the Chinese voltage and frequency.

Please also kindly confirm the below are absolutely correct.
1. Before using the PSU in mainland China, slide the AC voltage switch to 230V.
Does the 230V switch cover the voltage range 180V-265V including the Chinese 220V?

2. The PSU automatically adjusts to the Chinese 50Hz without my doing anything.

3. IMPORTANT: PSU powers every component inside a computer. As my PSU - EG651P-VE (FMA) supports the Chinese voltage and frequency, I should not be concerned that other parts of my computer might malfunction and/or be damaged due to the different voltage and frequency in China.

4. Is this PSU 530W or 550W?
I see online retailers advertise differently.

5. Anything else other than different voltage and frequency I have overlooked?

Thanks for your time and help!!!

### MY SYSTEM SPECS###
@@@Main Features@@@
- CPU Intel Pentium 4 2.2 GHz with 845 Chipset, Socket 478
- Enermax 530W Power [Model: EG651P-VE (FMA)]
- Gigabyte GA-8IRXP motherboard
- Lian Li PC-70 USB ATX Full-Tower (Silver)

@@@HDD Drives (5 IDE drives)@@@
Western Digital 120/100GB, 7200RPM
Not RAIDed, set up as 5 HDDs of which 1 for WinXP-Pro

@@@Optical Drives@@@
1. NEC DVDRW ND4550A
2. PlexWriter CDRW 40x12x40
3. LiteOn DVDR LCD-163

@@@Floppy drive (Panasonic)@@@

@@@Graphic card@@@
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128mb

@@@Sound card@@@
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
### MY SYSTEM SPECS###

palmtree

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
As for the Enermax PSU's support of Chinese voltage and frequency, I got replies just as what I expected. Thanks:)

But still want to follow upon point 3 and get worries off my chest.

3. IMPORTANT: PSU powers every component inside a computer. As my PSU - EG651P-VE (FMA) supports the Chinese voltage and frequency, I should not be concerned that other parts of my computer might malfunction and/or be damaged due to the different voltage and frequency in China.

What I want to ensure is that to use the system in China PSU is my ONLY worry. No any other component within my system, or in case of a general PC, either generates or receives any type of electricity. Components such as motherboard, hard disks, optical drives, video/sound cards etc.

Btw in a hypothetical scenario, if a PSU has only US 110V input voltage rating and is plugged into a 220 wall outlet, will only PSU be burned/damaged or every component attached to that PSU?

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I agree worrying about the electrical issue is definitely important... but I'd also be concerned with getting something like a PC into China. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like getting something as complex (and potentially subversive) as a PC through their customs. I just have this mental image of them wanting to take an image of your drive (yes, I know this is fictitious) to make sure you're not there to make trouble.

Call me crazy!

palmtree

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
I agree worrying about the electrical issue is definitely important... but I'd also be concerned with getting something like a PC into China. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like getting something as complex (and potentially subversive) as a PC through their customs. I just have this mental image of them wanting to take an image of your drive (yes, I know this is fictitious) to make sure you're not there to make trouble.

Call me crazy!

Those Chinese custom officials are not that serious about what their boss tells them to do. :D

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Tagan 550w PSU from malaysia works on malaysian PC

take to PSU to aus olny have to change the plug so it will fit into the socket..... still works today (2 years now)

There are heaps of comps around the world including china.... just plug it in and switch on!

palmtree

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
Apology for being away from this thread. Was on a company trip.

US Enermax support confirmed that it is OK to use Enermax EG651P-VE (FMA) in China.

Anyway as my company finally shipped to my China office, the system with the PSU (Enermax EG651P-VE (FMA). I want to have last confirmation prior to the setup.

Two things:
1. Input voltage jumper

1-a: Is the turning the red voltage switch ALL I NEED TO DO to make the PSU
compliant to the Chinese 220v AC input?
As far I've read the PSU's manual, I couldn't not find any mentioning of input voltage jumper. The manual suggests only turning the red voltage switch.

1-b: Is there anything else I need to do such as inside manual input voltage jumper?

1-c: Does such a jumper exist for Enermax EG651P-VE (FMA)?

2. The PSU was shipped to me with the PSU's original Power Cord
Don't want to sound stupid about this, but does Power Cord have country-specific electric differences - voltage and/or current? Or all power cords are the same eletrically? Guess what I want to know is whether I can just use in China the original Power Cord supplied with the PSU - Enermax EG651P-VE (FMA)?

BTW by electric differences I do NOT mean physical differences such as plug shapes? US power cord's plug shape isn't a problem as I will use a power strip with universal sockets.

Working overseas in pain in the butt...Again thanks for your great help!!!

1-a: Is the turning the red voltage switch ALL I NEED TO DO to make the PSU
compliant to the Chinese 220v AC input?
As far I've read the PSU's manual, I couldn't not find any mentioning of input voltage jumper. The manual suggests only turning the red voltage switch.
Yes the voltage selector should be all you need to make it compliant

1-b: Is there anything else I need to do such as inside manual input voltage jumper?
Nope you are good to go. All a PSU does (very simplified) is perform DC voltage conversion by taking AC waveforms and forcing them to above zero-crossing using full-wave recification then using caps to hold the voltage. The 50 hz will only increase the ripple voltage slightly (since the caps will take slightly longer on the recharge) but not enough to be of concern.

1-c: Does such a jumper exist for Enermax EG651P-VE (FMA)?
I have not seen jumpers in PSUs... but I can't say I have actually looked for one.

Don't want to sound stupid about this, but does Power Cord have country-specific electric differences - voltage and/or current? Or all power cords are the same eletrically? Guess what I want to know is whether I can just use in China the original Power Cord supplied with the PSU - Enermax EG651P-VE (FMA)?
Well the important thing is the AWG rating of the cable for current capacity. 220v is usually more efficient (uses less current) since P=V*I - a 300w draw on 120v is 2.5A but on 220v it is only 1.36A so the 120v cable is "better" since it has a higher current rating (read safer)

BTW by electric differences I do NOT mean physical differences such as plug shapes? US power cord's plug shape isn't a problem as I will use a power strip with universal sockets.

Working overseas in pain in the butt...Again thanks for your great help!!!
Well if you didn't have a universal adaptor, it is nothing a wire cutter / stripper and an aftermarket power plug can't fix. :wink:

palmtree

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
Well the important thing is the AWG rating of the cable for current capacity. 220v is usually more efficient (uses less current) since P=V*I - a 300w draw on 120v is 2.5A but on 220v it is only 1.36A so the 120v cable is "better" since it has a higher current rating (read safer)

You wow'd me! :D

Thanks for the educational reply and clear analysis. Since you are indicating that the Enermax PSU original power cord is eletrically more robust, I will use that.
Your reply addressed other my concerns fully. You dried up my questions!

Thank you all replied. Now I feel ready to go ahead :)

anytime my friend

next time you see above-ground power lines, think of the power/current/voltage thing - they are around 50kv and have little current so heat is not an issue over long distances. The trade-off is voltage drop and capacitance build-up.

Enjoy your relocation!

palmtree

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
anytime my friend

next time you see above-ground power lines, think of the power/current/voltage thing - they are around 50kv and have little current so heat is not an issue over long distances. The trade-off is voltage drop and capacitance build-up.

Enjoy your relocation!

Again thanks a lot doolittle! I will keep that in my mind while working overseas.
BTW did you get my 2nd PM?
Very nice to have friend like you around :D