HP LJ4000N tray problem

Hi,

I have a HP Laserjet 4000N (connected via TCP/IP) and when I want to print
with Windows XP I always got the the message in the printerdispay "Load in
Tray 1 Normal A4" but Tray 1 is manual paper feed and Tray 2 is the catridge
and I want to print via Tray 2. Regardless what I choose in the printer
driver, it always want to print in Tray 1 and I have to press "Start" to
force the printer to print from the catridge in Tray 2.

I checked the printer setiings from the printer but cant find anything
wrong. :(

Anyone has a glue?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards Stefan

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 19:38:36 +0100, in comp.periphs.printers "Stefan
Hemeier" <s_hemeier@t-online.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a HP Laserjet 4000N (connected via TCP/IP) and when I want to print
>with Windows XP I always got the the message in the printerdispay "Load in
>Tray 1 Normal A4" but Tray 1 is manual paper feed and Tray 2 is the catridge
>and I want to print via Tray 2. Regardless what I choose in the printer
>driver, it always want to print in Tray 1 and I have to press "Start" to
>force the printer to print from the catridge in Tray 2.
>
>I checked the printer setiings from the printer but cant find anything
>wrong. :(
>
>Anyone has a glue?

This ia an A4 tray, correct? If so doesn't sound like the printer is
recognizing it. I forget what physical means is used so the printer
recognizes the type tray installed.
----------
http://EdwardGRuf.com

I forgot to say, I tried both drivers, the original Windows XP driver and
the original HP driver.

Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 19:38:36 +0100, in comp.periphs.printers "Stefan
> Hemeier" <s_hemeier@t-online.de> wrote:
>>
>>I have a HP Laserjet 4000N (connected via TCP/IP) and when I want to print
>>with Windows XP I always got the the message in the printerdispay "Load in
>>Tray 1 Normal A4" but Tray 1 is manual paper feed and Tray 2 is the catridge
>>and I want to print via Tray 2. Regardless what I choose in the printer
>>driver, it always want to print in Tray 1 and I have to press "Start" to
>>force the printer to print from the catridge in Tray 2.
>>
>>I checked the printer setiings from the printer but cant find anything
>>wrong. :(
>>
>>Anyone has a glue?
>
> This ia an A4 tray, correct? If so doesn't sound like the printer is
> recognizing it. I forget what physical means is used so the printer
> recognizes the type tray installed.

When you set the sliders in the tray to hold the paper, it moves plastic
fingers on the right outside edge of the tray. These fingers activate
switches inside the printer.

Maybe one of the fingers is broken, or one of the switches. More common
is a mismatch between what paper the driver wants and what paper
the printer thinks it has. For example:

In the driver, you select A4 Normal paper (not just A4?). But the
printer has been configured through its control panel to know that tray
2 has, let's say, A4 Recycled paper.

Check the Paper Handling menu at the printer for "Tray 2 Type".

Hi Ed,

thanks for your answer. Yes its an A4 tray. Do you have an idea where I can
find information about it? Or does someone else know where the printer
recognize its? Or how I can fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards Stefan

"Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 19:38:36 +0100, in comp.periphs.printers "Stefan
> Hemeier" <s_hemeier@t-online.de> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have a HP Laserjet 4000N (connected via TCP/IP) and when I want to print
>>with Windows XP I always got the the message in the printerdispay "Load in
>>Tray 1 Normal A4" but Tray 1 is manual paper feed and Tray 2 is the
>>catridge
>>and I want to print via Tray 2. Regardless what I choose in the printer
>>driver, it always want to print in Tray 1 and I have to press "Start" to
>>force the printer to print from the catridge in Tray 2.
>>
>>I checked the printer setiings from the printer but cant find anything
>>wrong. :(
>>
>>Anyone has a glue?
>
> This ia an A4 tray, correct? If so doesn't sound like the printer is
> recognizing it. I forget what physical means is used so the printer
> recognizes the type tray installed.
> http://EdwardGRuf.com

Hi Warren,

thank you for your answer. I solved the Problem, it was the sensors for the
papersize. I had to bridge these sensors on the circuit board. No it is
fixed to A4 but thats no problem for me.

Thanks again for your answers.

Best Regards Stefan