Hope this is the right place for this question.

I have two computers sitting side-by-side, running XP Home and plugged into
the same ADSL router.

One has a 900mhz AMD Duron with 256 megs of ram and an undistinguished
NVIDIA video card.

The other machine as a 2,000 mhz AMD Athlon with 1,000 megs of ram and a
Radeon 9000 Pro video card.

The puzzler is that I get far better performance in viewing videos in Media
Player on the weaker machine. On the 900 mhz Duron, Media Player plays news
clips etc off the Internet just fine. On the faster machine with more RAM
and a hot video card, Media Player performs so poorly that what you get is a
series of stills, each remaining motionless on the screen for 4-7 seconds
before it jerks to the next one.

It has to be particular to Media Player, because I use that computer for
viewing and recording DVDs using other software, with no problems.

Anybody got any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Same version(s) of WMP on both machines? Both machines protected by a
firewall, anti-virus application and spyware/malware scanners? All updates
to operating systems installed with no errors on either machine?

"Kevin" <kevincf@excite.com> wrote in message
> Same version(s) of WMP on both machines? Both machines protected by a
> firewall, anti-virus application and spyware/malware scanners? All
> updates
> to operating systems installed with no errors on either machine?

Yes to all those questions. Zone Alarm, Panda, and I scan with Adaware and
Xblock.

Maybe a codec problem? But if you have the same version of WMP on both
machines, they should have the same codecs. Are any other players installed
on the systems like Real Player or DivX? Do those work, if they are
installed?