Sign in with
Your question

Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester OC. Some questions.

Last response: in Overclocking
May 19, 2006 1:27:19 PM

Hello all. I have a Winchester core A64 3000+ CPU. Stock speed is 1.8Ghz. Well I have an EPoX EP-9nda3j MB that lets me set the FSB speed via BIOS and it also has a setting for the HT multiplier which is set to AUTO but you can set it from 1x to 5x manually. Ok so via the FSB modifier I have it up to 234Mhz, which with the 9x CPU multiplier gives me 2106Mhz with the stock cooler and I'm getting idle temps of 36-37 with load temps of 46-47. I've ran it for about 17 hours on the Prime 95 torture test and no errors in memory or anything and gaming seems fine so I think it's stable at this speed. Benching it on Doom3 at 1024x768 I went from 66 fps to 75 fps, so I'm getting more punch out of the system now which is excellent, but I know I can take this baby further.

Now here is my main question(s). At what point do I have to manually start moving the HT modifier to 4x or do I? How do I tell what the Bios is setting the HT value to?

At what Temps do I have to worry about heat problems as well? I know I've read about people OC'ing thier stuff to the point where they are getting 75-80 degree load temps, but I don't want to push that far and screw up the CPU. What is the max safe load temp for this CPU?

I'm using generic PC3200 DDR and the timings are 2.5-3-3-7 right now. I guessing this will start screwing up before the CPU starts having issues.
May 19, 2006 2:01:26 PM

Check out the following http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/Downloadab....

This gives the max case temp for your cpu as 70C.

Thermal design limit of this chip is 95C. Pretty hot. Will be running like crap way before this.

The recommended load value is 55C max. Anything hotter and you need better cooling for both case and cpu.

As for the memory, what is the divider set at?

Try timings 0f 2,3,3,7. Most 2.5 CAS sticks i have tried run fine
with CAS set at 2. You could also bump the voltage a bit.

Crank that HT till she crashes.
May 20, 2006 4:44:10 AM

You won't get much (if any) performance increase from higher HT speeds, nor are you likely to take a performance hit from lower speeds, as the capacity of the HT link is nowhere near maxed out by current hardware. I'd aim for an 800-1000 MHz HT link, any less and you risk throttling your hardware by maxing out the link, any more and you risk instability (or even burning out your board).

As far as your memory goes, you should be able to adjust the memory divider (or the Core/Ram ratio, or whatever your MB calls it), to keep your ram at around DDR 400 MHz.

I wouldn't worry about getting any excessive heat problems with this CPU, as it stops being stable long before it could generate those high temps. I found with my 3000+ (on a poor overclocking Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9), I could get it to run up to 2.62 GHz for short periods of time before it became unstable; I could probably have pushed it further, but past 2.4 GHz, you have to add so much voltage to keep it stable for even short periods of time that I decided it wasn't worth it. I'm still fine tuning my system, and I'm at a core frequency of 260 MHz.
Related resources
May 25, 2006 4:11:03 AM

Well I've got it up to 2.25Ghz and it appears stable, but I'm going to run Prime95 all night and see how it goes under load and how high the temps get. Still using the stock cooler, it got up to 52C while playing WoW for a while. I set the HTT multiplier to 4x and the FSB to 250. Its a bit hot though and I don't have the AC on yet so that isn't helping I'm sure.
June 25, 2006 9:52:37 AM

are you serious you k8nf-9 being crap!!! piffle!

my old one was great to overclock.. i could get my 3000+venice to bench at 2.8(well 2790mhz).. well its dead and burried now!(had a little accident while flashing bios! :?

anyway.. venice cores are fantastic value for overlocking... on my current system i can get about 2.753ghz(modified stock cooling)

im very pleased with it..

current specs are as follows(just did some spring cleaning and alterrations...

AMD Athlon64 Venice E2(i think) @ 2.643.5ghz(311*8.5, keeps my memory nicer than the previous 289*9)
2gb Dualchannel generic
2 x WD SATAII 250GB(raid 0)
1 x crap 10gb System Disk
2 x xfx 6800gs xxxstock 485/1100 @ 530/1280
Asus A8N-SLI

im just waiting for some better cooling(some form of water) so i can do the voltmod.. my hopefull OC was to be 1ghz but im still pretty pleased with it
June 25, 2006 1:45:46 PM

If you are working with a Venice core, thats probably why you had such good results. My Winchester is nice, but it needs more volts to crank up the hertz than the Venice cores. The GA-K8NF-9 just isn't up to the task of providing the stable voltage levels needed to go higher.
June 28, 2006 8:05:48 PM

A couple of things...

max temp you want your cpu is about 65c...I wouldn't push it past 55c if i were you.

Secondly...
FSB x HTT Multiplier = 1000.
200 x 5 = 1000 max
250 x 4 = 1000 max
333 x 3 = 999 max

So to answer your question about HTT, it depends on your fsb. If your fsb is 200 or less, use 5. If it's 201-250 use 4x...251-333, 3x, and 2x above that.

Also you said you have "generic" ram. There is no such thing as generic ram. ;-) What you need to do is find out what kind of ram it 'really' is. Companies have been known to sell generic ram, that turned out to be bh-5, tccd, tcc5, etc. Or it could just be some ch-5, or ch-6. 2.5 3 3 7 doesn't sound like the bh or ch variety, alot of bh and ch stuff won't even boot at those latencies.

Here's a memory guide:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=372050

And here's a list of specific memory...Ie you should be able to look it up...
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=415294

PS...my 3000+ winchester would do 250fsb 9x on about 1.55v 1:1 (paired with the right ram...). But i could (and have) push it further on a divider.
June 28, 2006 8:37:14 PM

The venice's are very cheap for their performance and 90nm is much better for reduced heat than 130nm was. I'd grab a 3800 venice before they all disappear. You Ram could also use a boost. Cheap DDR500 2GB kits are all over and DDR600 kits are coming out soon. My venice runs perfect at 2.5ghz, it's only a 10 multi chip, most the 3800's can hit 3.0ghz.
June 29, 2006 1:08:15 PM

Quote:
A couple of things...

max temp you want your cpu is about 65c...I wouldn't push it past 55c if i were you.

Secondly...
FSB x HTT Multiplier = 1000.
200 x 5 = 1000 max
250 x 4 = 1000 max
333 x 3 = 999 max

So to answer your question about HTT, it depends on your fsb. If your fsb is 200 or less, use 5. If it's 201-250 use 4x...251-333, 3x, and 2x above that.

Also you said you have "generic" ram. There is no such thing as generic ram. ;-) What you need to do is find out what kind of ram it 'really' is. Companies have been known to sell generic ram, that turned out to be bh-5, tccd, tcc5, etc. Or it could just be some ch-5, or ch-6. 2.5 3 3 7 doesn't sound like the bh or ch variety, alot of bh and ch stuff won't even boot at those latencies.

Here's a memory guide:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=372050

And here's a list of specific memory...Ie you should be able to look it up...
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=415294

PS...my 3000+ winchester would do 250fsb 9x on about 1.55v 1:1 (paired with the right ram...). But i could (and have) push it further on a divider.

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to check the RAM type usnig CPU-Z later, as I think it will report the maker. I'm not familiar with your terms for the RAM. What is bh-5 for example?

So far its rock solid stable @ 250 x 9.

I was thinking of upgrading to a X2 3800+ when the price drop hits when Conroe comes out but finances took a nose dive and money is tight so I may have to hold out on upgrades until I can afford to redo the whole system next year. As it is the main game I'm playing is World of Warcraft and that flies at 1600x1200 so I'm good. DVD encoding and ripping is fast enough so I'm probably good for now.

I just can't believe I ever ran that chip at 1.8Ghz!
June 29, 2006 2:17:17 PM

BH-5 is defined under that first link i gave you...however...

Basically bh-5 is 1 of 3 favorites in the ddr category, which happens to be discontinued. There are people that like bh-5 (and other versions of the same...bh-6 etc), and people that like the TCCD stuff. BH-5 is good up to about 250 memory bus at 2 2 2 5 timings, with a few people able to push 1.5 2 2 0 timings fairly high as well. TCCD and other similar samsung chips can push 300+ memory bus, but need to have relaxed timings in order to work: 2.5 4 4 10 at 300 (give or take a couple of timings); at 250 some people have gotten 2 3 3 8 to work, but many are stuck at 2.5 3 3 8-9. The timings generally matter to the guys trying to break or get in on the higher lvl benches. So if someone is trying to break the 20min mark in a 32m instance of superpi, they want to be running on a high multiplier, a divider, and very low timings (@ 250-265 or so mem bus).

I'd say TCCD is better for gaming, and bh-5 everything else. Of course, if you're not going above 250 bh-5 is the winner regardless.
July 1, 2006 4:32:20 AM

Quote:
Hello all. I have a Winchester core A64 3000+ CPU. Stock speed is 1.8Ghz. Well I have an EPoX EP-9nda3j MB that lets me set the FSB speed via BIOS and it also has a setting for the HT multiplier which is set to AUTO but you can set it from 1x to 5x manually. Ok so via the FSB modifier I have it up to 234Mhz, which with the 9x CPU multiplier gives me 2106Mhz with the stock cooler and I'm getting idle temps of 36-37 with load temps of 46-47. I've ran it for about 17 hours on the Prime 95 torture test and no errors in memory or anything and gaming seems fine so I think it's stable at this speed. Benching it on Doom3 at 1024x768 I went from 66 fps to 75 fps, so I'm getting more punch out of the system now which is excellent, but I know I can take this baby further.

Now here is my main question(s). At what point do I have to manually start moving the HT modifier to 4x or do I? How do I tell what the Bios is setting the HT value to?

At what Temps do I have to worry about heat problems as well? I know I've read about people OC'ing thier stuff to the point where they are getting 75-80 degree load temps, but I don't want to push that far and screw up the CPU. What is the max safe load temp for this CPU?

I'm using generic PC3200 DDR and the timings are 2.5-3-3-7 right now. I guessing this will start screwing up before the CPU starts having issues.

just to let you know, the winchester core isn't physically suppossed to be able to get past 2.2 GHz AT ALL. that is why AMD designed the Venice and San Diego cores, so that they could get up to 2.8 and such.
!