Sign in with
Your question

Ok I'm really f'd now

Last response: in Components
May 19, 2006 1:54:23 PM

Here the deal I just put together a kick ass new PC........only one minor hitch the forking case I bought wasn't quite big enough. Well it was big enough to put everything in technically it has been a wireing nightmare which inturn leads to cooling issues'.

I have a Lian-li PC65B and I love this case don't get me wrong.

But with 4 HD's and 2 CD/DVD Roms it a wiring mess.

Any recommendation for a case that it a bit larger both taller and deeper.

I was lookin at the lian li pc75b????

More about : question

May 19, 2006 2:18:33 PM

I have a thermaltake Armor, I love it, good airflow and its huge!
May 19, 2006 2:41:55 PM

Just putting in my experience here.

I have a full-tower dragon-like or old-school antec-like (early alienware) case. The thing fits all of my stuff (which is copious) but not without some issues, like having to modify the case internals to move the drive cages to fit the mobo/HSF and requiring extra-long PATA cables to reach from the mobo to the optical drives in the top of the case. It just comes down to the fact that the case is more than tall enough but could be a little deeper. However, it's not all bad since with the segmented areas (drives & ps separated from the rest) the airflow is more than sufficient.

In other words, it may work for you, but I know there are better cases out there (like the large thermaltakes (like Gavman42 says, as well as some of the larger coolermasters)
Related resources
May 20, 2006 7:38:00 AM

How about this Antec P180. Should solve the cooling problems as it's designed around that sort of thing. Only problem is that it's on the heavy side... the case alone weighs about 35lbs i believe.
May 20, 2006 10:12:02 AM

Chieftec LCX series (01, 03, 04) are excellent cases -- spacey, easy for assembly and they have HDD cage rotated 90 degrees.
The only problem may be that they are not that pretty but you can get one without PSU for less than 100$ and still have a good quality case.
May 20, 2006 11:01:36 AM

Could you not invest in some rounded IDE cables and a couple of cable ties? Even electrical tape does a great job of tidying up a case.
May 21, 2006 5:26:25 AM

this wire mess couldn't be fixed with duct tape and a ton of wire ties....Plus you can't get a rounded cable to hook up a creative labs live drive or whatever they are calling the x-fi equivalant.
May 21, 2006 5:50:11 AM

Quote:
this wire mess couldn't be fixed with duct tape and a ton of wire ties....

That bad is it? :D 
May 21, 2006 6:58:31 AM

Get a Kandalf or Armor from Thermaltake. Then get some spiral wrap/sleeving from http://www.bestbyteinc.com/. Wire management does help, you know?
May 21, 2006 7:27:51 AM

Can't be fixed even with duct tape!!! Bah, if Tom Green were here, he'd kick your ass. Duct Tape is Canadian superglue, it'll fix ANYTHING!
May 21, 2006 1:11:07 PM

Quote:
Can't be fixed even with duct tape!!! Bah, if Tom Green were here, he'd kick your ass. Duct Tape is Canadian superglue, it'll fix ANYTHING!

Just Canada? I believe it is the Universal fix-all. It can and someday will be employed to patch the hole in the Ozone layer.
May 21, 2006 1:27:59 PM

Quote:
..Plus you can't get a rounded cable to hook up a creative labs live drive or whatever they are calling the x-fi equivalant.

Why not? The rounded wire has the same connections as the "flat" wire.
May 21, 2006 4:37:29 PM

no a round IDE cable as one pin blocked in the center and the creative labs cable needs that center pin.
May 21, 2006 4:59:12 PM

in my opinion, Thermaltake Armor is big enough for your needs. When I'll have some money, I'll buy one of these because I have a problem too with cable mess... damn speghetti computer :D 
a c 87 ) Power supply
May 21, 2006 5:14:00 PM

First, a REAL man only needs two items to fix anything, WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it does move and it shouldn't, use duct tape. See?
Ok, reality check time. Have you tried re-routing wires, rounded cables, ties, etc? It might help some. Second, is the wire mess harming your computer in anyway? Or does it just look bad and you don't like your windowed case? My thought is to live with it. I forgot to read your specs, but if your going to drop another $100+ for a case, it probably would have been better spent in more ram, or a faster GPU. Unless you have a huge budget, I wouldn't spend the $$$ on the case. Just move the computer to under your desk, and try not to think about it...
May 21, 2006 5:20:03 PM

a spaghetti computer is joking subject for friends ;) 
May 22, 2006 3:43:01 PM

I have used rounded cables whenever possible, only have to pata drives and they are on one rounded cable. Have a modular cable power supply so I don't have any extra power wires. I think the wiring messing inside my case right now is effecting my cooling. The case is already under my desk so I don't care about the window. Its still a really tight squeeze getting everything into it.
May 22, 2006 3:54:54 PM

I would go to a full tower.
May 22, 2006 6:16:35 PM

Quote:
I would go to a full tower.

Not a bad idea.... quite a bit taller, but much more air in the case.
May 22, 2006 7:12:10 PM

This is kinda drastic and chancy, but you can mod your own rounded cables. Take out the creative drive cable lay it flat, and use a razer blade to cut the plastic between the wires. once that is done iether zip tie the dundle or wrap it with tape or the cable wraps. like I said its chancy, you may cut/nic a wire, so before you attempt this try to find a replacement cable on ebay.
May 22, 2006 7:15:55 PM

lol. I had to reply to this one. Yes, duct tape will fix just about anything, except duct work. Consumer reports testing has shown that it is not good for fixing things that heat up and cool down repeatedly (like ductwork). It loses its stickyness. Seriously! I found that report extremely funny.
May 22, 2006 7:30:28 PM

I found that report quite funny as well..... this is the only product whose name describes what it should NOT be used for.... anyone else know of another product like that?
May 22, 2006 7:45:34 PM

Quote:
Here the deal I just put together a kick ass new PC........only one minor hitch the forking case I bought wasn't quite big enough. Well it was big enough to put everything in technically it has been a wireing nightmare which inturn leads to cooling issues'.

I have a Lian-li PC65B and I love this case don't get me wrong.

But with 4 HD's and 2 CD/DVD Roms it a wiring mess.

Any recommendation for a case that it a bit larger both taller and deeper.

I was lookin at the lian li pc75b????

Check out the Silverstone Temjin TJ06. I got mine cheap off Ebay and have 2 ROMS, 6 harddrives, and Tyan S2885 dual opteron board in it. It's got a nice amount of room and offers excellent airflow for cooling. Silverstone makes a nice case with good workmanship, tool-less installs, and a fair price.

Good luck!
May 23, 2006 5:54:20 PM

I have the Lian Li PC-60plus...

It has an Opteron 175, Asus A8R32-MVP board, 2gigs memory, water cooling with pump and reservoir internal, a 120mm blower fan, another 2x 120mm fans, a 92mm fan, and a 80mm fan, 4x sata hard drives, DVD burner, His X1800XT, ATI TV Tuner card, a 5" LCD fan controller/display, a 3.5" LCD temp monitor, and still have room to add another HD and two more PCI cards...
May 24, 2006 3:35:54 AM

like other suggestions.

Thermaltake Armor

Gigabyte 3d Aurora.

I just got a NZXT Lexa, i know what u mean. but my air flow is fine.

take a look at the larger Lian Li's the ones with 2 chambers

Cpu + mobo + Gfx on the top chamber.

HDD's and PSU at bottom. that may help you out.

Lian LI PC-101A or Lian Li PC-101B
May 24, 2006 2:49:09 PM

I was lookin at those dual chamber lian-li's do anyone have any experience with them????

I think they might be big enough for my needs, without going full tower.
May 27, 2006 8:25:16 PM

I would recommend the all aluminum full tower Thermaltake Shark. I personally own one. You can stack up to 5 hard drive disks and 5 disc drives. It has a rear 120 mm fan and a front fan for hard drive cooling. It comes in black and silver. It costs from about $150-155. It creates excellent cooling for my pc creating superior stability.
May 27, 2006 8:52:25 PM

lian li's are better
May 28, 2006 6:04:45 AM

I have the Lian Li PC-60plus...

It has an
Opteron 175
Asus A8R32-MVP board
2gigs memory
Internal Water Cooling with pump and reservoir (internal)
One 120mm blower fan
another two x 120mm fans
One 92mm fan
One 80mm fan
4x sata hard drives (room for 5)
DVD burner
His X1800XT dual slot video card
ATI TV Tuner card
a 5" bay LCD fan controller/display
and a seperate 3.5" bay LCD temp monitor
the radiator on top has two additional 120mm fans...

and I still have room to add another HD plus two more PCI cards...

May 29, 2006 1:26:53 AM

you must be a wiring genuis cause I don't know how you got it too look so clean....
May 29, 2006 1:46:42 AM

I doubt the P180 would do the job for this...

Getting a thermaltake FULL TOWER would do it... the armor would be perfect... or even armor junior (heard its a bit cramped)

its better if its aluminium, or else get a full tower, so you have enough airflow
May 29, 2006 5:58:42 AM

Currently I am considering the following case's

Lian-li
PC-201B
or
PC-7077B with an additional Drive Cage for extra HD's

Gotta be able to get it at newegg
May 29, 2006 6:27:31 AM

PC 201 or PC201B, Good choices.
!