Help - i think mobo/PSU is dead! :(

acidbottle

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
hi folks ok ..

i have an aspire qpack case and had no problems whatsoever for the last 3 months .. inside the thing is an ASrock P4VM800 matx and a 2.8 P4.

yesterday i switch it on .. its been running for about 10 mins and i walk away to fetch a drink, i hear a bit of a crackle and return to find the machine has switched off!

after checking a few things and swapping the kettle plug with a different one i foolishly conclude that the PSU has died and set about finding a replacement (since aspire are not renownded for their great PSUs on this case).

installed the new 500W beast and .... nothing .. still dead, no lights or anything come on.

in someones humble opinion would you say the mobo is now dead, along maybe with the stuff attched to it :(

any help appreciated as always.

smedlin

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Wow, that's a tough one.

I doubt "the stuff attched to it " is dead. It could be the motherboard. It could even be the cpu. But probably not the memory, vid card, hard drive, etc.

Probably the mb though.

passing-thru

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
A friend of mine had a similar experience once.
His PSU shorted out and the resulting power surge kills most of his system.
Only the CPU and RAM escaped unharmed.

So, get a friend who have a compatible setup to test out all your components to find out which is toasted and which is still good.

Rebuilt your system from there.

Good Luck !

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
My PSU shorted out heated up and died.

(Later I took apart the PSU and found a fat hairy spider had crawled into my PSU stuffing up the fan that cools it down and I presume the the PSU got hot and died). I managed to salvage all my stuff except the MB and the PSU ofcourse. (I hope that spider suffered a slow and painful death)

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
My PSU shorted out heated up and died.

(Later I took apart the PSU and found a fat hairy spider had crawled into my PSU stuffing up the fan that cools it down and I presume the the PSU got hot and died). I managed to salvage all my stuff except the MB and the PSU ofcourse. (I hope that spider suffered a slow and painful death)

And some people think the "WEB" isn't dangerous. It can even get into

your PSU, and wreck havoc. 8O

acidbottle

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
:lol:

i blame buggy software :roll:

anyways, thanks for the advice folks. it turns out the psu hadnt fried out on me but was definately the mobo thats died. however, the voltages on the psu may have been to blame so its replacement will stay .. im praying when the new board arrives next week (an Asus P4V8X-MX) that no hardware inside was damged.

are there any precautions i can take to prevent such a random event haopening again. i dont have surge protection on the plugs for instance, would that have helped?