NEED HELP NEED "NTLDR" for asus P5WD2 Delux

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Im building new syestm and I come across an NTLDR error msg. Thus BIOS cant find a HD drive to boot from. How do i fix this problem?

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Are you installing a new OS? Or just upgrading your system componants and keeping the same drive? Raid? How many other drives do you have? Sata? Which OS?

kuff_kuff

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
that NTLDR message refers to the boot loader in windows,

the boot.ini file is directing the bios to a drive or partition that does not have an OS installed.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
that NTLDR message refers to the boot loader in windows,

the boot.ini file is directing the bios to a drive or partition that does not have an OS installed.
I think he knows that, I would assume he knows to set the driveraidsata to be the boot device.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
right, either the os is not on there or it has a corrupted ini. If this is a new install then it could just be the boot order is wrong in bios. If it is not a new install, or you have made some software changes recently then it could be the corrupted .ini

if corrupted the repair consol may be able to fix it. I have had luck with it in the past. Otherwise it is a reinstall for windows. (last resort for that though)

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
well i dont mind install new copy of windwos xp home (original)

its an old HD from my old systme that has been formatted

its a SATA and its my maxtor

first boot device is flopy
send is cd rom
third is HD
should this change?

im still having probs do you think its fixable through bios?

or do i have to put some kind of ini files etc onto the hd?

i thought this prob only exist with win 2000???

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
(barring there is no floppy in your drive right now) the NTDRL file is a universal boot file native to all window$ file systems. Change your first boot device to your SATA HDD. If your Bios does not see a SATA drive, then it may need bios update. If that does not slove your issue, make your CDrom device your first boot and your HDD drive your second, then do the repair option on the install disk. Even if you can not get the repair option to work, you should be able to do a clean install easily.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
boot off the xp cd and go into restore mode, run fixboot then run bootcfg /rebuild to find the copy of xp on the drive, then it will let you reset the boot.ini and it might work. If not just do a reinstall over the top.