Disappearing SATA's on COLD boot?

Fedorov

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Hi all, I 'd rather my 1st posting was to help someone instead of me asking for help ;)

Really appreciate some urgent advice here, I'm struggling to find the cause of this one...

Got a nasty hardware problem with my rig (spec. is below), seems to have trouble *seeing* my 2 SATA Raptor drives when I first power on from cold, if I'm lucky it sees them, boots up then BSOD's on me with a nasty "MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION" which I believe is just cos of the main sata drive disappearing which doesn't help

Once it's been on for a few minutes it appears to be fine and stable, very annoying, not sure what the answer is yet, ordered some WesternDigital "Secure Connect" SATA cables yesterday:
http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/wdsc50rcw.asp
They'll arrive today, that should at least improve the connections from the mboard to the drives cos those damn sata cables feel so flaky.

I'm not running RAID, just got both Raptor's hooked up to the SATA1 and SATA2 on the mboard - this system gave me a BSOD "machine check exception" a few days after building it near the end of March 2006 but has ran pretty stable ever since until Saturday/Sunday just gone where it gave me that BSOD during bootup both days.
Lastnight I couldn't get it to see the drives at all, couldn't get into Windows to even post this, I think leaving it sat on the bios setup screen for a while "warmed" things up so eventually it just started detecting the drives on the bios screen EVERYTIME, once I noticed it could see them again, I continually powered off, rebooted, entered bios setup and it could see them everytime so of course I could get back into Windows...

Tonight on cold boot, bios screen showed me both drives, got all the way to the Windows Login screen before the BSOD, no doubt caused by the drives disappearing during bootup... left it sitting in the bios powered on for a few minutes, tried a couple of reboots to prove they were visible and I've been running Windows and posting this for the last 3 hours now nice and stable again....

This is very annoying as you can imagine!

Really appreciate any suggestions here

Thanks

Fedorov.

Specification:
Thermaltake VA3000BNA Tsunami Dream SuperMidi Aluminium Tower - Black
Asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi X16 (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
Enermax Liberty 620W ELT620AWT ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU
Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3500LL Pro TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA4800CDBOX)
2 x Western Digital Raptor 150GB WD1500ADFD 10,000RPM SATA 16MB Cache - OEM
2 x BFG GeForce 7900 GT OC 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS Edition - Retail
2 x NEC ND4571 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter LabelFlash (Black) - OEM
Mitsumi FA 404M 7in1 USB 2.0 Floppy & Media Drive - Black

Fedorov

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Yes I know it was a tricky one, I've spent the last few days trying everything I could find. Today the machine wouldn't boot at all no more.

Been out and got new identical motherboard, all working again so far!!! :)