Overclock Intel 530 (3 ghz) with water cooling

PorkyTheClown

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Im trying to over clock an Intel 530 (3 ghz) using water cooling? How high should it go? What temperatures are safe for a Prescott 530? Should I increase voltage? By how much?

the prescott core can handle up to about 69C. With water cooling, you probably won't reach this. I'm not exactly sure how high one can take a 530, but i've gotten my 630 up to 3.4 for now... so my guess is that at least 300 extra mhz wouldn't be out of the question for you (probably more), provided the rest of the components (especially the ram) can handle the faster frequencies.

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Well remember that the 530 has a TDP of 130 watts, one of the hottest processors in the bunch so you'll need to get a good aftermarket cooler, if not watercooling if you want to really overclock it. Also you want to have a good PSU to handle all this, 500 watts is probably boatloads.

Since the prescotts have a locked multiplier, you're gonna have to bring the frequency up solely by the fsb. I'm sure you could get to 3.4 or even 3.6 or more on air cooling if you had a really good HS/F, and a good proc/mobo/ram. If I was overclocking, I'd expect to get around 3.4 and be happy with it. Sadly my comp is a dell so I cant overclock at all, and yes, I know that I suck, If I could go back, I'd build my computer instead of buying it, but back then I didn't know how to build or that dell had started to suck so much. Hell I didn't even really know what AMD was back then.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
You should be able to get 3.6 out of it, with water. You can increase the voltage

by maybe .1v-.15v. Just remember, once you start upping the voltage, that

puppy will start pouring out the heat. GL :)

This is assuming that you have overclocking friendly Motherboard, and RAM.

Well remember that the 530 has a TDP of 130 watts, one of the hottest processors in the bunch so you'll need to get a good aftermarket cooler, if not watercooling if you want to really overclock it. Also you want to have a good PSU to handle all this, 500 watts is probably boatloads.

uhhh... the TDP of the 530 is 84W according to Intel... not 130... you're probably thinking of the socket 478 P4 Prescott's

Avat

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Non-watercooled, I was able to get a 530J to about 3.3-3.4 with a very minimal OC, core temps at idle are around 41-43C and under load around 52 C. I think, I pushed the voltage to 1.44 and FSB to roughly +220(880mhz), it started acting up a little when I went past that but that coulda been my Value Select Memory. ;)

RichPLS

Champion

Since the prescotts have a locked multiplier, you're gonna have to bring the frequency up solely by the fsb. I'm sure you could get to 3.4 or even 3.6 or more on air cooling if you had a really good HS/F, and a good proc/mobo/ram. If I was overclocking, I'd expect to get around 3.4 and be happy with it. Sadly my comp is a dell so I cant overclock at all, and yes, I know that I suck, If I could go back, I'd build my computer instead of buying it, but back then I didn't know how to build or that dell had started to suck so much. Hell I didn't even really know what AMD was back then.

He asked how high he could get it on a water cooled system... :?

I would think easily 3.6GHz for 24/7 operation... provided you have decent memory and an overclock friendly mobo...

Raviolissimo

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
i'm using the 560 with a Zalman 7700, OC'ed 11.1% to 4.0, running 3D Max.

if you OC the 530 & install water cooling, how will you cool off the chips around the CPU ? (a few case fans ?)

at stock speeds, you wouldn't need that, but if you're cranking up the frequencies and maybe the voltages, the cooling needs of those peripheral chips will increase.