prints <60% as bright white...

I got this problem with my HP 3820,

when I print a greyscale image it prints no grey that is brighter than 60%.

Looks very ugly on images, since I only used to print texts I havn't noticed
this bug before.

The 3-Color cartridge is empty so I can't try a color print...

I'm using Win XP, is there some kind of setting somewhere to adjust the
printing?

So far I've tried printing vom Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop with the same
poor results :(

Please help!

thanks

Stefan
1 answer Last reply
More about prints bright white

    "Stefan B. König" <steve_bb@aol.com> wrote in message
    >I got this problem with my HP 3820,
    > when I print a greyscale image it prints no grey that is brighter than 60%.
    > Looks very ugly on images, since I only used to print texts I havn't noticed
    > this bug before.
    >
    > The 3-Color cartridge is empty so I can't try a color print...

    If you mean that any gray lighter than 60% does not print then the problem is
    probably that your color cartridge is empty. The black cartridge has a rather
    large drop (about 6x as large) compared to the color drops. When printing in
    grayscale the color cartridge is used for the lighter areas as the smaller
    color drops can be mixed better to make the lighter areas.

    You might check the driver and see if there is a "use black cartridge only"
    option, which would print with only the black cartridge. The graphics quality
    will not be as good as when using the color cartridge. Putting a fresh color
    cartridge would probably improve your results considerably.

    If you want to print B&W photo's you would probably be better off with one of
    the HP printers that uses a grayscale photo cartridge such as the #59 or #100
    or #102.

    Regards,

Printers Hewlett Packard Peripherals