New build - how to ship it?

jj14

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Hi,
Thanks to all the people who had helped me identify the parts for a low-end budget system (for a relative of mine) a few weeks earlier. I ended up buying the celeronD with the Intel board from newegg. I am planning to salvage the rest of the parts (case, DVD drive, HD, Floppy memory etc) from his old computer.

The problem is this - I would like to assemble this pc at my place to make sure that the mobo/CPU are fine (else, I need to exchange it right away) - I have spare power supplies, memory, CD etc at home, so I can put it together, but that means that I would have to mount the CPU/Heatsink+fan onto the mobo. I am not sure about how to ship it to my relative (in MD) after I have mounted the CPU/HS onto the mobo.

Would it be advisable to remove at least the HS from the CPU (leave the CPU on the mobo) and buy some additional thermal grease to use when I mount the HS back on (in MD)? Or should I risk shipping the HS mounted on the CPU (on the mobo) - just worried about shipping it where it might get damaged...

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!
Thanks

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Hi,
Thanks to all the people who had helped me identify the parts for a low-end budget system (for a relative of mine) a few weeks earlier. I ended up buying the celeronD with the Intel board from newegg. I am planning to salvage the rest of the parts (case, DVD drive, HD, Floppy memory etc) from his old computer.

The problem is this - I would like to assemble this pc at my place to make sure that the mobo/CPU are fine (else, I need to exchange it right away) - I have spare power supplies, memory, CD etc at home, so I can put it together, but that means that I would have to mount the CPU/Heatsink+fan onto the mobo. I am not sure about how to ship it to my relative (in MD) after I have mounted the CPU/HS onto the mobo.

Would it be advisable to remove at least the HS from the CPU (leave the CPU on the mobo) and buy some additional thermal grease to use when I mount the HS back on (in MD)? Or should I risk shipping the HS mounted on the CPU (on the mobo) - just worried about shipping it where it might get damaged...

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!
Thanks

It should not be a problem to leave the CPU mounted.. make sure its packed well and get insurance. Some vendors ship a mobo with CPU mounted, and I have never had one damanaged.

gambit6259

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I would ship it fully assembled. Just make sure you pack it good. Also, make sure you insure it with what ever carrier you are going to ship with.

jj14

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Thank you for your quick response. Since the only parts that I will be shipping are the mobo/cpu/heatsink+fan, I will have to pack it by itself - the case and other accessories are in MD (from his old pc) - I was worried about using packing material to pack up the mobo/cpu/HS once it is assembled, but I guess I could first pack it in the anti static packet that the mobo came in and after sealing it, put packing material around it.

So leaving the heatsink/fan (stock HS+fan that came with the retail CPU) mounted on the mobo should be ok?
I will get insurance on this package and will write "Fragile" all over it in bright red color :)

Thanks again!

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I will get insurance on this package and will write "Fragile" all over it in bright red color :)

Thanks again!

Thats the WORST thing you can do. Carrier workers are overworked and underpaid that Fragile to them means TRASH IT. Just pack it well, and insure it and you are fine.

jj14

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Now that's a scary thought! :)
I'll take your advice and skip the "Fragile" as long as it is insured, I can get the money back if it is damaged - though I wonder (thinking aloud) - how does fedex determine whether the item was damaged before it shipped - I mean, they are not gonna be able to inspect each component on the mobo before it ships - if one of the capacitors were to get damaged during shipping, how do they know when it was damaged?
I will check with fedex about this (just in case)

Thanks for your help!

TRENDING THREADS