Additional User Folders

Why is it when I log on to a network via a workstation running Microsoft
Windows XP, I get additional folders under my name? The server is running
Windows 2000 and the domain name is HTCMS.
For example, I logon with "javampato" to the domain HTCMS as a user.
Hence, I get a folder called javampato. I logon the next day and get
javampato.HTCMS and then javampato.HTCMS.000 and so on.

Meanwhile, I have documents stored at previous folders, but I can only open
the last one as a user.

What is going on?

Thanks in advance,
5 answers Last reply
More about additional user folders

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:43:04 -0700, Joe1732 wrote:

    > Why is it when I log on to a network via a workstation running Microsoft
    > Windows XP, I get additional folders under my name? The server is running
    > Windows 2000 and the domain name is HTCMS.
    > For example, I logon with "javampato" to the domain HTCMS as a user.
    > Hence, I get a folder called javampato. I logon the next day and get
    > javampato.HTCMS and then javampato.HTCMS.000 and so on.
    >
    > Meanwhile, I have documents stored at previous folders, but I can only open
    > the last one as a user.
    >
    > What is going on?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

    I don't know what's going on with your server but we see this naming
    convention when XP is install "over XP" vs a repair install. Instead of
    tossing the old user folders out, they are retained and new ones are
    created with *.XXX added at the end to differentiate them from the previous
    folders of a user with the same name.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    "Sharon F" wrote:

    > On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:43:04 -0700, Joe1732 wrote:
    >
    > > Why is it when I log on to a network via a workstation running Microsoft
    > > Windows XP, I get additional folders under my name? The server is running
    > > Windows 2000 and the domain name is HTCMS.
    > > For example, I logon with "javampato" to the domain HTCMS as a user.
    > > Hence, I get a folder called javampato. I logon the next day and get
    > > javampato.HTCMS and then javampato.HTCMS.000 and so on.
    > >
    > > Meanwhile, I have documents stored at previous folders, but I can only open
    > > the last one as a user.
    > >
    > > What is going on?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > I don't know what's going on with your server but we see this naming
    > convention when XP is install "over XP" vs a repair install. Instead of
    > tossing the old user folders out, they are retained and new ones are
    > created with *.XXX added at the end to differentiate them from the previous
    > folders of a user with the same name.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Sharon,

    Thanks for your quick reply. I think you are on to something.

    My office computer now has a folder javampato.HTCMS.003 and it still has the
    original Microsoft XP OS. However, I am required to turn off my computer at
    the end of the day, but the OS should know that javampato is an "old user" so
    it should not give me another folder.

    Unfortunately, this problem also shows up on my students' computers.
    They log on as studenta (for the first class, studentb for the second class
    and so on) with their own individual passwords to the local computer (I am
    not permitted to use the server). The computers are also running Microsoft
    XP and now they have folders, for example "studenta, studenta.Lab304-12" and
    so on. Hence, they can not get to the stuff stored in previous folders. I
    have to log on as administrator to the local network in order to move their
    stuff from a previous folder to the latest one. I have two labs with 30
    computers and 6 classes of 30 middle school students each.

    My computer savvy students are now replacing the old excuse "The dog ate my
    homework" with "Microsoft won't let me get to my stuff".

    I have to solve this problem before the next term.
    Thanks for all of your help,
    Joe Avampato

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:55:03 -0700, Joe1732 wrote:

    > My computer savvy students are now replacing the old excuse "The dog ate my
    > homework" with "Microsoft won't let me get to my stuff".
    >
    > I have to solve this problem before the next term.
    > Thanks for all of your help,
    > Joe Avampato

    Joe, I suspect that there is something amiss in the network's
    configuration. Whether it is on the server or with the local accounts or a
    combination of the two, I don't know but the offshoot is the multiple
    accounts that you are seeing.

    You may want to run this question by the folks that hang out in the
    windowsxp.network_web newsgroup or try one that is for the server operating
    system that you are using.

    A link to a page that has links for other MS newsgroups:
    http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx

    Good luck with this,
    --
    Sharon F