Sign in with
Your question

How do i boot into dos so i can flash my bios????

Last response: in Systems
May 19, 2006 5:36:55 PM

Is there a key i must press to boot into dos so i can fllash my bios?

I need to flash my bios so my mb P5wd2 delux will suport the 9xx chips.

(curenlty using a p4 6xx chip to get the comp going need to return this chip to owner soon)

windows has not been installed into comp yet...... do i need to do this first?

More about : boot dos flash bios

May 19, 2006 5:51:41 PM

no... you don't need to have windows installed to flash the bios, however this means you will have to get the new bios from another computer, put it on to a floppy and then flash the bios.

The other way you could do it, is install windows and get the system up and running, then download the new BIOS file and the Asus Update utility from the Asus website. Asus update allows you to flash the bios while in windows.
May 20, 2006 6:19:24 AM

Quote:
no... you don't need to have windows installed to flash the bios, however this means you will have to get the new bios from another computer, put it on to a floppy and then flash the bios.

The other way you could do it, is install windows and get the system up and running, then download the new BIOS file and the Asus Update utility from the Asus website. Asus update allows you to flash the bios while in windows.

I wouldn't suggest updating in Windows. All you need is for windows to crash,

midway through, then.....OH OH. Stick with "Boot from floppy".

GL :) 
Related resources
May 20, 2006 7:22:55 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't suggest updating in Windows. All you need is for windows to crash, midway through, then.....OH OH. Stick with "Boot from floppy". GL :) 

If he's using Windows ME or earlier, that would be a problem.... I've flashed plenty of BIOS'es from within XP and not once has it ever crashed during the flashing process.

Your point is still valid though....
May 20, 2006 8:10:22 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't suggest updating in Windows. All you need is for windows to crash, midway through, then.....OH OH. Stick with "Boot from floppy". GL :) 

If he's using Windows ME or earlier, that would be a problem.... I've flashed plenty of BIOS'es from within XP and not once has it ever crashed during the flashing process.

I fried a nice ASUS Mobo using that tool but I admit XP wasnt out at the time (733Mhz P3) But I have used it recently :)  with perfect success ! Also you can download WinFlash wich works with any mobo. I think Asus's tool only works with Asus mobo's. Check to see if your machines BIOS has whats called a Boot Block. Its a small section of the BIOS that is never over written so even in a bad flash you can still access your drives and boot from a Floppy/CD drive and try again. If you dont have a floppy drive you can download a bootable CD image of Dos and use that then burn a copy of the flash.exe and BIOS on another CD (yes you can put them both on one CD but its easyer just to use 2 lol)
May 20, 2006 8:24:29 AM

Quote:

I fried a nice ASUS Mobo using that tool but I admit XP wasnt out at the time (733Mhz P3) But I have used it recently :)  with perfect success ! Also you can download WinFlash wich works with any mobo. I think Asus's tool only works with Asus mobo's. Check to see if your machines BIOS has whats called a Boot Block. Its a small section of the BIOS that is never over written so even in a bad flash you can still access your drives and boot from a Floppy/CD drive and try again. If you dont have a floppy drive you can download a bootable CD image of Dos and use that then burn a copy of the flash.exe and BIOS on another CD (yes you can put them both on one CD but its easyer just to use 2 lol)

I guess i'm old fashioned, but i prefer to flash my BIOS's off floppy. Yes,

WinXP is the most stable version of windows, but that doesn't mean that

it can't or won't crash...especially if you're overclocking or playing around

with RAM timings. I love to push things to the limits, and sometimes

windows doesn't like me to. :wink: LOL
May 20, 2006 8:47:00 AM

I agree Dos is best for flashing a BIOS :)  The newer tools seem to work well though for about 2 years after my ASUS bad trip I swore I would always always boot into Dos first... in fact I only tried that WinFlash about 2 weeks ago, and only then becouse I just bought the mobo and WinFlash was on there page with the BIOS (I figured if it dies I can get a new one lol)
May 20, 2006 8:59:08 AM

ya DOS is the best for BIOS flashing, but since i've started doing it from Windows, I haven't stopped... unless it's an old board and i can't do it from Windows, or if that manufacturer doesn't provide a utility to flash from windows...
!