Straw poll- who flies at night?

Last response: in Video Games
August 15, 2005 11:13:58 PM

Simulated night, not realtime night, that is. Right now my MS747 is
plowing through the pitch black night somewhere over the pacific- I was
kinda wondering how many other simmers like flying nights- the glow of
city lights on the horizon, the tingling uncertainty whether the terrain
is safe or not, getting lost on the taxiways <g>.

T.

More about : straw poll flies night

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 11:13:59 PM

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 11:23:03 PM

"Tom Peel" <notreallytandp@freenet.de> wrote in message
>- I was kinda wondering how many other simmers like flying nights

I usually like to start flights at pre-dawn. This gives a taste of night
before a beautiful sunrise and then full daylight (which is nice for "low
and slow" scenery viewing.)
August 16, 2005 2:41:01 AM

Lawn Dart wrote:

> I have really enjoyed the occasional night flight; especially when
> getting to know the navigation systems in planes like the Piper
> Meridian and Cessna 421. In general though, I love flying at either
> dawn or dusk even more (though dusk certainly turns to night on
> longer flights). I've had some lovely long flights over the
> Himalayas that ended in the late night, and locating/landing at some
> of the small airports tucked away here and there were challenging and
> fun experiences.

I have located some heretofore unknown mountains at night. Usually very
unexpectedly.

John

August 16, 2005 2:41:02 AM

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:41:01 GMT, The Man Behind The Curtain
<johngrabowski@earthblink.net> brought the following to our attention:

>Lawn Dart wrote:
>
>> I have really enjoyed the occasional night flight; especially when
>> getting to know the navigation systems in planes like the Piper
>> Meridian and Cessna 421. In general though, I love flying at either
>> dawn or dusk even more (though dusk certainly turns to night on
>> longer flights). I've had some lovely long flights over the
>> Himalayas that ended in the late night, and locating/landing at some
>> of the small airports tucked away here and there were challenging and
>> fun experiences.
>
>I have located some heretofore unknown mountains at night. Usually very
>unexpectedly.
>
>John

-John- that doesn't happen anymore.. since using STARs (Std
Arrival Rts) to plan approach into a metropolitan areas usually sets
the ALTs over the mountains.. doesn't it? Please comment (all you
pros) if this is true. Haven't crashed into terrain when using STAR
approach plan.

-Melissa- just last night came in from Tucson to Van Nuys and the
night textures were just starting to `blend in'. Will not post a
screenie however due to last thread. :)

When simming at night with clouds below, and moon above.. it can make
for a FABULOUS sight. That.. with the city and town lights below.. and
even when you have the celestial stars installed.. you can see the big
dipper and constellations like Orion!! have a screen cap on that!!

-Gregory
August 16, 2005 2:41:03 AM

Gregory wrote:

> -John- that doesn't happen anymore..

Since getting theWAC charts for the USA, in sim book form (highly
recommended!), I have gotten 10X the pleasure of flying in less than
favorable conditions (for the pilot & anyone else on board) now that I have
a pretty good idea exactly where the rock filled clouds are, and thereby
cutting unexpected sudden stops to nil........ d:->))
August 16, 2005 3:02:31 AM

Tom Peel wrote:
> Simulated night, not realtime night, that is. Right now my MS747 is
> plowing through the pitch black night somewhere over the pacific- I
> was kinda wondering how many other simmers like flying nights- the
> glow of city lights on the horizon, the tingling uncertainty whether
> the terrain is safe or not, getting lost on the taxiways <g>.
>

> T.

I often fly at night, as I generally stick to "real time" and of course do
most of my simming in the evening. I've also done several round the world
trips and so end up flying across time zones. Early morning arrival into
Salt Lake City was very pretty and it's always quite an impressive sight
taxiing across a major airport with all the taxiway lights etc illuminated.
The Northern Lights also make good viewing...

Combine night with bad weather and you're in for a real challenge!

Tim
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 4:15:31 AM

I fly at night but only when it's dark.
August 16, 2005 4:15:32 AM

Arthur Dent wrote:
> I fly at night but only when it's dark.

Yeah, know what'ca mean.. I only have a Manhattan (stirred, not shaken, two
cherries) when I'm alone or with somebody...
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 6:32:01 AM

I taxi a lot at night :)
Mike
"Tom Peel" <notreallytandp@freenet.de> wrote in message
> Simulated night, not realtime night, that is. Right now my MS747 is
> plowing through the pitch black night somewhere over the pacific- I was
> kinda wondering how many other simmers like flying nights- the glow of
> city lights on the horizon, the tingling uncertainty whether the terrain
> is safe or not, getting lost on the taxiways <g>.
>

> T.
August 16, 2005 2:33:13 PM

Are the Northern Lights a standard thing on a default install, or are they
part of an add-on package?
Chris

--
I'm not always right,
But I'm never wrong!
"Tim" <void@invalidemail.com> wrote in message
> Tom Peel wrote:
>> Simulated night, not realtime night, that is. Right now my MS747 is
>> plowing through the pitch black night somewhere over the pacific- I
>> was kinda wondering how many other simmers like flying nights- the
>> glow of city lights on the horizon, the tingling uncertainty whether
>> the terrain is safe or not, getting lost on the taxiways <g>.
>>

>> T.
>
> I often fly at night, as I generally stick to "real time" and of course do
> most of my simming in the evening. I've also done several round the world
> trips and so end up flying across time zones. Early morning arrival into
> Salt Lake City was very pretty and it's always quite an impressive sight
> taxiing across a major airport with all the taxiway lights etc
> illuminated. The Northern Lights also make good viewing...
>
> Combine night with bad weather and you're in for a real challenge!
>
> Tim

August 16, 2005 2:33:14 PM

> Are the Northern Lights a standard thing on a default install, or are they
> part of an add-on package?
> Chris

The Aurora Borealis is included in FS2004 (and FS2002) Not sure what sliders
trigger the effect? most of mine are to the right. Its quite a nice effect
but happens a bit too frequently IMHO, you nearly always get them flying
around my area in North Scotland in the sim at night, whereas in real life
it only happens a few times a year.

The real Northern Lights are much more dynamic and beautiful in effect and
colours than in FS2004, would like to see a more realistic add-on for the
lights.

From a dedicated website on the real Northern Lights ....

http://www.iww.is/art/shs/photos/NLred.jpg

http://www.iww.is/art/shs/photos/NL15.jpg

And alongside a volcanic eruption at Mount Hekla

http://www.iww.is/art/shs/photos/NL03.jpg

Anyone in the group interested in astronomy BTW? I'm looking to buy my first
telescope soon and need some advise.

Cheers.

Colin.
August 16, 2005 2:33:15 PM

Haven't seen any northern lights is FS8.. what conditions are required
for their appearance? In case you'd like to see the `stars' above..
this package may work ok in FS2004.. how about another Stars Pak?

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2002scen&D...

Somewhere on the HD there are better screen caps of the stars.. but
this one (although not tuned well at the time) gives the general idea

http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/Orion.jpg

the bright area to the right is upper Manhattan.. and the nearly
transparent `trace lines' were added in with PSP7 afterwards.
It's Orion rising (or setting) over the Atlantic!! Apologies for
lousy views from old-junk hardware.

-Gregory

-----------------------
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 07:45:08 +0100, "Colin"
<Colin@NONEOFTHATSPAMSTUFFkatana1000.plus.com> brought the following
to our attention:

>> Are the Northern Lights a standard thing on a default install, or are they
>> part of an add-on package?
>> Chris
>
>The Aurora Borealis is included in FS2004 (and FS2002) Not sure what sliders
>trigger the effect? most of mine are to the right. Its quite a nice effect
>but happens a bit too frequently IMHO, you nearly always get them flying
>around my area in North Scotland in the sim at night, whereas in real life
>it only happens a few times a year.
>
>The real Northern Lights are much more dynamic and beautiful in effect and
>colours than in FS2004, would like to see a more realistic add-on for the
>lights.
>
>From a dedicated website on the real Northern Lights ....
>
>http://www.iww.is/art/shs/photos/NLred.jpg
>
>http://www.iww.is/art/shs/photos/NL15.jpg
>
>And alongside a volcanic eruption at Mount Hekla
>
>http://www.iww.is/art/shs/photos/NL03.jpg
>
>Anyone in the group interested in astronomy BTW? I'm looking to buy my first
>telescope soon and need some advise.
>
>Cheers.
>
>Colin.

August 16, 2005 7:03:23 PM

> Haven't seen any northern lights is FS8.. what conditions are required
> for their appearance? In case you'd like to see the `stars' above..
> this package may work ok in FS2004.. how about another Stars Pak?
>
> http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2002scen&D...

Yup, I have that stars add-on, makes a big difference to night flying.

Colin
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 7:05:14 PM

Gregory wrote:

> Haven't seen any northern lights is FS8.. what conditions are required
> for their appearance? In case you'd like to see the `stars' above..
> this package may work ok in FS2004.. how about another Stars Pak?
>
> http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2002scen&D...
>

> Somewhere on the HD there are better screen caps of the stars.. but
> this one (although not tuned well at the time) gives the general idea
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/Orion.jpg
>
> the bright area to the right is upper Manhattan.. and the nearly
> transparent `trace lines' were added in with PSP7 afterwards.
> It's Orion rising (or setting) over the Atlantic!! Apologies for
> lousy views from old-junk hardware.
>

> -Gregory

I saw Northern Lights once on a flight over Northern Canada into
Anchorage (FS2002). Impressive, because it was such a surprise.
I have no idea what triggers them.
T.

> -----------------------
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 07:45:08 +0100, "Colin"
> <Colin@NONEOFTHATSPAMSTUFFkatana1000.plus.com> brought the following
> to our attention:
>

>>>Are the Northern Lights a standard thing on a default install, or are they
>>>part of an add-on package?
>>>Chris
>>
>>The Aurora Borealis is included in FS2004 (and FS2002) Not sure what sliders
>>trigger the effect? most of mine are to the right. Its quite a nice effect
>>but happens a bit too frequently IMHO, you nearly always get them flying
>>around my area in North Scotland in the sim at night, whereas in real life
>>it only happens a few times a year.
>>
>>The real Northern Lights are much more dynamic and beautiful in effect and
>>colours than in FS2004, would like to see a more realistic add-on for the
>>lights.
>>

>>From a dedicated website on the real Northern Lights ....
>
>>http://www.iww.is/art/shs/photos/NLred.jpg
>>
>>http://www.iww.is/art/shs/photos/NL15.jpg
>>
>>And alongside a volcanic eruption at Mount Hekla
>>
>>http://www.iww.is/art/shs/photos/NL03.jpg
>>
>>Anyone in the group interested in astronomy BTW? I'm looking to buy my first
>>telescope soon and need some advise.
>>
>>Cheers.
>>
>>Colin.

August 17, 2005 2:46:07 PM

Gregory wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:41:01 GMT, The Man Behind The Curtain
> <johngrabowski@earthblink.net> brought the following to our attention:
>
>> Lawn Dart wrote:
>>
>>> I have really enjoyed the occasional night flight; especially when
>>> getting to know the navigation systems in planes like the Piper
>>> Meridian and Cessna 421. In general though, I love flying at either
>>> dawn or dusk even more (though dusk certainly turns to night on
>>> longer flights). I've had some lovely long flights over the
>>> Himalayas that ended in the late night, and locating/landing at some
>>> of the small airports tucked away here and there were challenging
>>> and fun experiences.
>>
>> I have located some heretofore unknown mountains at night. Usually
>> very unexpectedly.
>>
>> John
>

> -John- that doesn't happen anymore.. since using STARs (Std
> Arrival Rts) to plan approach into a metropolitan areas usually sets
> the ALTs over the mountains.. doesn't it? Please comment (all you
> pros) if this is true. Haven't crashed into terrain when using STAR
> approach plan.

<snip>

Using FSNav and STARS, I have nearly been caught out several times going
into KONT...tries to fly me through the hills, which is distinctly
unhealthy! Perhaps the mesh I have is wrong, I don't know (I'm using the
freeware FSGenesis 38.2m mesh from AVSIM, or was it Flightsim, I can't
remember).

Tim
August 17, 2005 2:46:08 PM

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:46:07 GMT, "Tim" <void@invalidemail.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Gregory wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:41:01 GMT, The Man Behind The Curtain
>> <johngrabowski@earthblink.net> brought the following to our attention:

>>> I have located some heretofore unknown mountains at night. Usually
>>> very unexpectedly.
>>>
>>> John
>>

>> -John- that doesn't happen anymore.. since using STARs (Std
>> Arrival Rts) to plan approach into a metropolitan areas usually sets
>> the ALTs over the mountains.. doesn't it? Please comment (all you
>> pros) if this is true. Haven't crashed into terrain when using STAR
>> approach plan.
>>
><snip>
>
>Using FSNav and STARS, I have nearly been caught out several times going
>into KONT...tries to fly me through the hills, which is distinctly
>unhealthy! Perhaps the mesh I have is wrong, I don't know (I'm using the
>freeware FSGenesis 38.2m mesh from AVSIM, or was it Flightsim, I can't
>remember).
>
>Tim

QUICK reply: you appear to be right.. FSNav produces the route
and finds the Altitudes based on descent rate and speeds.. etc. It
knows the field EL's but no other terrain info appears to be used.
Never mind statements above. Long-winded reply follows.

-g

- - -

LONG reply: KONT is one of the airfields that I Sim in and out of a
lot.. kind a' like `been the default' for a while. Not being an
aviator at all.. was asking the group if STARs would inherently
prevent CFIT `crash into terrain'.

So then FSNav only looks at heading and field EL data?

Here's a KONT closed traffic plan.. and now that you mention it.. the
altitudes over San Gabriel Mts near KSBD had to be edited. There are
three BODs (beginning of Descent) in the FP and several nodes were
Manual Waypoint Setting (Altitude Crossing - Descent) were raised due
to Terrain. It's a good exercise.

http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/KONT_closed_loop.gif

Another fun FSNav route to `set manually' is the approach into
Medford, Oregon USA over terrain from the south!!

-g
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 1:39:00 PM

#One fine day in the middle of the night I like to fly out of sight#

Ibby

!