Ramming speed :-))

dh_orac

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Hi guys ,

I`m planning on buying (rather than building) a custom built system , and although I think i`ve got most of my priorities sorted , i`m a bit stumped with the best ram for my needs.
I need it for fast gaming , but i`m not planning to overclock it. Although i`d like it to be really fast , I would probably favour stability and longevity at the expense of losing a point or two on the timings if need be. Keeping the sticks nice and cool with thier own heatsinks or honeycomb heatspreaders is also something i`m considering.

The setup i`m looking at so far includes:

Mobo - DFI Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert skt 939
PCU - AMD Athlon 64 FX57 SKT 939 , with a Zalman CNPS9500-LED Aero Flower Cooler Copper
VGA - 2 x 512mb XTX Nvidia cards in SLI
PSU - FSP Epsilon 700W

I thought i`d have it all in a Thermaltake Armor case , and maybe add a fan controller , with a hard drive , soundcard and a DVD writer and a floppy.

Ok , so here are the ram choices i`ve got in front of me:

Mushkin 2x1024Mb DDR500 Redline XP Non ECC
Corsair Twinx 2x1024Mb LLPRO DDR433 Non ECC
G.Skill 2x1024Mb DDR500 HV Series Non ECC
OCZ 2x1024Mb DDR500 Gold GX XTC Non ECC

I think someone mentioned that the G.skill ones are favoured by DFI , and i`m familiar with Corsair , but not Mushkin or OCZ.

Many thanks for any advice or suggestions you may have guys

Dave

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
Hi guys ,

I`m planning on buying (rather than building) a custom built system , and although I think i`ve got most of my priorities sorted , i`m a bit stumped with the best ram for my needs.
I need it for fast gaming , but i`m not planning to overclock it. Although i`d like it to be really fast , I would probably favour stability and longevity at the expense of losing a point or two on the timings if need be. Keeping the sticks nice and cool with thier own heatsinks or honeycomb heatspreaders is also something i`m considering.

The setup i`m looking at so far includes:

Mobo - DFI Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert skt 939
PCU - AMD Athlon 64 FX57 SKT 939 , with a Zalman CNPS9500-LED Aero Flower Cooler Copper
VGA - 2 x 512mb XTX Nvidia cards in SLI
PSU - FSP Epsilon 700W

I thought i`d have it all in a Thermaltake Armor case , and maybe add a fan controller , with a hard drive , soundcard and a DVD writer and a floppy.

I think someone mentioned that the G.skill ones are favoured by DFI , and i`m familiar with Corsair , but not Mushkin or OCZ.

Many thanks for any advice or suggestions you may have guys

Dave
Well i would get either one but since you said dfi get ocz or mushkin either ones fine just dont get corsair cause they have some issues i heard. And dude what kind of a title is ramming speed i thought that this thread was started by <looking left and right> <whispering> Forlorn. <Half the forum shreeks in terror>

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
The OCZ would be a good candidate for your rig. The Corsairs a good ram as I have them with all my rigs and some few OCZ on the side. I see your not planning on overclocking your system, so a ram with higher frequency should be use to achieve better performance, so the DDR500 would be better than the DDR433 at no overclocking.

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
...i`m not planning to overclock it.

:?
My question is if you aren't going to overclock why are you going to get memory that is meant for overclocking? If you are going to run it stock get some good, low-latency DDR400. It will be cheaper that way.

As far as brands go...
OCZ and Mushkin are both highly respected.

I bought OCZ for my desktop a little over two years ago. The first set that I got had a defect in it but I was able to get it replaced through newegg with no hastle. It seems as if there was a bad batch. The replacment ram looked slightly different and I think was from a newer batch.

My ram is a 2x512MB dual channel kit. OCZ EL PC3200/DDR400 with 2-3-2-6 timings.

dh_orac

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Thanks for that guys. That`s made things a lot clearer.

Scougs wrote:
My question is if you aren't going to overclock why are you going to get memory that is meant for overclocking? If you are going to run it stock get some good, low-latency DDR400. It will be cheaper that way.

It`s just dawned on me about the extra mhz. It`s so you can use the difference in speed when you`re overclocking. Duh :oops:
And that`s why the latency goes up at the same time.
I guess it`s a bit like getting an FX60 with a 2.6 rating , when you don`t envision using dual core. You`d be better off getting an FX57 at 2.8 , which is faster.

dvdpiddy wrote:
Well i would get either one but since you said dfi get ocz or mushkin either ones fine just dont get corsair cause they have some issues i heard. And dude what kind of a title is ramming speed i thought that this thread was started by <looking left and right> <whispering> Forlorn. <Half the forum shreeks in terror>

I`ve just taken a closer look at that 433mhz Corsair ram , and it says it`s DDR2. The 400mhz rated Corsair is normal DDR. I seemed to remember someone mentioning recently on the motherboard forum here , about the fact that DFI isn`t DDR2 compatible. So I had a closer look at DFI`s site and in the blurb it gave a long list of the DDR speeds up to DDR400 SDRAM DIMMS , but nothing was mentioned about DDR2.
So maybe that explains why there have been problems with some of the Corsair memory sticks :idea:

Oh , and sorry about the title of the thread. Well , it was late and I thought it was catchy , too much fragging is bad for you they say , especially if you keep forgetting to duck :D

I`m just pondering some more at the moment , but OCZ looks tempting.