vannguyen0

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
I had a RAID 0 set on an old computer that had a built in RAID controller (Promise RAID I think). I just got a new computer with an nForce RAID controller. Can I move those two hard drives onto my new computer and will the RAID set be in tact?

Or will doing so destroy that RAID set?

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Unfortunately, this is not always true. Some manufacturers have their own specific applications , so the best course of action should be to search for other's experiences with the specific hardware. That being said, since 0 is simple, there is a better chance of it working so long as the stripe size is kept the same.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I've had issues going from manufacturer to manufacturer. Never had good luck going from something other than nvidia to nvidia. And no it's not a standard, at least about how the controller handles the raid levels. The controller manufacturer can build their chipsets however they want as long as the raid level functions to the specs of that level. The biggest difference is how the controller writes the raid layout to the drives, different controlers can write drive and array data differently and use different identifying info, even if the user data is stored the same. JBOD would probably be the easiest to move since there is no parity, array, or stripe information involved.

Edit: And if the implimentation is software, you're probably screwed, as each manufacturer designes their own drivers. The safest bet for portability is to use windows built in software raid, that will work on anything that supports your drive types, even spanned controllers.

TRENDING THREADS