Need Default BIOS Password for Gateway g6-233

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I just repaired someone's Gateway g6-233. (Yes I know its not worth fixing, but the owner insisted on it)

When I was working on it I could enter the CMOS setup, no problem and I noted that the system and user passwords were cleared.

Everything was working fine until the owner took the PC home and the SLOT CPU came lose. There are four holes to hold the HS/CPU unit in place, but Gateway used this weird plastic bar instead and it came lose.

I reseated the CPU, figured out how the plastic bar attached, but on starting I get a CMOS error.

I can press ESC and boot windows and everything work.

However if I try to press F1 it now asks for a password.

So I take out the battery, short the connection with a 10 ohm resister. And try F1 again. Still wants a password!

The BIOS is Phoenix 4.0 Rev 6. I tried CMOSPWD with no luck.

I tried BIOS CMOS PHOENIX phoenix. No joy.

---
I am guessing that the Gateway G6-233 has a default BIOS password that is restored whenever the CMOS is reset.

I could just ingnore the problem, except that the default boot order is Floppy, Hard Drive, CD-ROM.

Anyone have any clue how to resolve this?

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
try some of the following:

admin
administrator
owner
gateway
cmos
password

if none of them work, find the serial number on the back of the tower and enter it here:

http://support.gateway.com/support/default.asp

if the owner has the manual for the system on hand... it will be in there.

Yes when the processor came loose it probably wiped the CMOS out and set it to the factory defult (I guess Gateway at the time used something instead of blank ?)

Last thing to do is maybe find the newest BIOS and try to flash it.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, but chances are the BIOS would have the same default password as the previous one.

I emailed Gateway to see if they used to use a default password, but I am guessing that when they see the S/N and see how old the system is they won't bother answering me.

What annoys me is that the it says system disabled, but goes to windows no problem on restart. So it doesn't really deter theft or force someone to take out the hard drive to steal your data.

Either they shouldn't use a default password or the default setting should prevent booting if you do not have the right password.

----
I wonder is there a bootable floopy that will trigger booting from a CD?

If not I guess when Windows ME breaks on the guy and he needs a quick restore from the backup I made, I will just boot from a floopy and monkey with the partitions until its unbootable so that the boot order will continue to the CD rom.

Keezza

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Do not download the preceding link it is a trojan. I scanned it with a not very good virus scanner. Glad I didn't run it!
Actually it might think that it messes with the system cuz it duz!!!!? Would somebody test it on a dying machine?

Kit Pistol

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I am having the same exact problem with same exact system. Its a BIOS password. And the first guy has it right. Gateway wont help. They say call a local tech. I know its old but it has worked fine up until 2 days ago. I am the original owner and just use it so my 4 yr old can play games. There has to be a default or a way to bypass it. any ifno would be great.

cmak3

Honorable
May 18, 2012
This worked for me:

Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I clear the BIOS password?
A: The following steps guide you through the process of clearing the BIOS password.
Turn off the computer.
Open the computer case.
Swing up the drive assembly and on the motherboard, locate the light green JCMOS1 jumper block. The jumper block is located on the bottom left corner of the dual inline memory modules (DIMM) slots.
Place the jumper on pins 2 and 3 for clearing the passwords.
Turn on the computer. Wait for an audible beep from the computer. A message appears stating that the NVRAM and password have been cleared.
Turn off the computer.
Place the jumper back on pins 1 and 2 for normal operation.
Return the drive assembly back to its operating position and slide the case into the sleeve.
Turn on the computer.

AnthonySK

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012

I have the exact same pc and by doing this i cleared the password. Not sure how safe it was but it worked.
while computer was still plugged in and the power supply was still hooked to the motherboard I moved the cmos jumper to pins 1 and 2. Then i pushed the power button once. then i removed the jumper and replaced it on pins 2 and 3. I then hit the power button and my computer and it did nothing. I then unplugged the power supply and moved the jumper back to pins 1 and 2 for about 20 seconds, then i put the jumper back on 2 and 3. then i plugged the powersupply back in, turned it on and the bios password was gone. I was trying originally to follow the gateway instructions that i found and are also listed below but i suspect they apply to a different motherboard. To clear most cmos you should unplug the power supply before you switch the jumpers. This worked for me but like i said, i am not sure how safe it really was. I am running the gateway dx4300-15e.