Sign in with
Your question

Video Camara Capture - IEEE vs Tuner Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 19, 2006 10:03:14 PM

I currently have a AMD 4200+ with 2G ram and GForce 7900 GT. One of the main purposes of this pc is to transfer all my High8 Digital tapes from my sony camara to DVD.

I do not have a tuner card, however my Sound Card (SoundBlaster Audigy) has a firewire connection. I recently captured video/sound thorugh that connection and it came out a bit washed out (to bright). I'm not sure if its the hardwar or software.

As a side-note I have a Firewire connection on the front of my PC that does not seem to work. The wire seems to be properly connected to the mother board.

Anyway, for video capture would I be better off purchasing a tuner card? Or is there a better capture program out there that will fix my problem. I dont mind spending another $130 or so on a card if it will make a differece.

Thank you,
May 21, 2006 9:45:07 AM

Quote:
I do not have a tuner card, however my Sound Card (SoundBlaster Audigy) has a firewire connection. I recently captured video/sound thorugh that connection and it came out a bit washed out (to bright). I'm not sure if its the hardwar or software.

You didn't capture it - you transferred it. The iLink/Fireware connection is a straight transfer of the digital signal straight off the tape. What you saw on your PC was exactly what was on the tape. If it looked bright or washed out, it probably means that the cameras colour space or gamma level is different to what you PC's native settings are. You didn't mention what software you used for the transfer, but it should be trivial to adjust the picture to the correct values.

Quote:

Anyway, for video capture would I be better off purchasing a tuner card? Or is there a better capture program out there that will fix my problem. I dont mind spending another $130 or so on a card if it will make a differece.

In short, no. The Firewire connection is the right way to do it.
May 23, 2006 1:10:21 PM

If it is digital...just get a pci firewire port, and use that.
!