Smoking motherboard...Please Help!!!

mobbin01

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I have ASrock 939Dual-SATA2 (M1695) MOtherboard, well I was setting it up and I did somethings that may have led me to Killing it...Ill explaing.

1) The power supply that came with the case was 24 pin, the board is 20, but it seemed that you could tear off 4 pins, so I did, I had to get some scissors to cut the plastic edges but after that it fit in the board, the remaing 4 pin piece I stuck in the 12V 4 pin connector in the board.

2) I put the MB pannel power switch on hot to ground, and not hot to hot

Once I had the power switch connected to the board I decided to fire it up and see if it would run then turn it off and continue hooking everything up, ( I had the CPU and Memory in FYI)

I flip the switch on the PS and hit the case power button, nothing happens, So I take out the extra 4 pin, try again and this time when I hit the PS switch in back the CPU and case fans move for a second! Now I hit the Case power button and things start up then about two seconds later the board starts smoking.

Of corse I instatly switch everything off, I flip the MB pannel power switch meaning. I flipped hot to hot, ground to ground (?) I never new which was which anyway but I repeated the process. THis time everything worked and turned on with no smoke...I was satisfied, I switch everything off again.

Now when I tried again with everything set-up nothing works at all, everything is entriely dead. I've backtracked through all the steps and absolutly nothing, What happened??? And is there anything I can do to Save my computer???

Thank you!

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
It booted after smoking??? Sweet :)

It's best to plug a 24 pin into a 24 to 20 adapter, and then use the SEPERATE 4 pin off the PS for the cpu. You can't fry a MB with the front power switch. I've tried :) You can't hook the power switch up backwards, it's just a momentary switch to complete the mb circuit, unlike the LED pins + and - don't matter.

Best thing to do if you want to test the board first is don't plug in the front panel and just use a small flat head screwdriver to short the two power switch contacts on the board, I've had cases with bad power switches, and this is a lot easier to spot a problem then if you hook it up and assume it will work.

Make sure you don't have any standoffs touching the bottom of the board also, MSI had a barebone that came with installed standoffs where there shouldn't have been any, prevented boot until you took them out then it all worked good, didn't fry anything though.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I have ASrock 939Dual-SATA2 (M1695) MOtherboard, well I was setting it up and I did somethings that may have led me to Killing it...Ill explaing.

1) The power supply that came with the case was 24 pin, the board is 20, but it seemed that you could tear off 4 pins, so I did, I had to get some scissors to cut the plastic edges but after that it fit in the board, the remaing 4 pin piece I stuck in the 12V 4 pin connector in the board.

2) I put the MB pannel power switch on hot to ground, and not hot to hot

Once I had the power switch connected to the board I decided to fire it up and see if it would run then turn it off and continue hooking everything up, ( I had the CPU and Memory in FYI)

I flip the switch on the PS and hit the case power button, nothing happens, So I take out the extra 4 pin, try again and this time when I hit the PS switch in back the CPU and case fans move for a second! Now I hit the Case power button and things start up then about two seconds later the board starts smoking.

Of corse I instatly switch everything off, I flip the MB pannel power switch meaning. I flipped hot to hot, ground to ground (?) I never new which was which anyway but I repeated the process. THis time everything worked and turned on with no smoke...I was satisfied, I switch everything off again.

Now when I tried again with everything set-up nothing works at all, everything is entriely dead. I've backtracked through all the steps and absolutly nothing, What happened??? And is there anything I can do to Save my computer???

Thank you!

Did you even bother to read up on the pinout for those conectors?

Next MB you get use a proper PSU with it.

Try to RMA the MB...it is owned by Asus and they will just send you another in about 10 days if you are in the USA.
Hope you did not also kill the GFX card,ram and CPU.

I feel for you.

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
No man you missed what he was saying. He removed the 4 pin plug making the 24 a 20, he then put that 4 pin into the motherboard NOT the one you're supposed to, he trimmed the 4 pin to fit with scissors.
At the very least the motherboard is gone I bet, smoke is never a good thing in a case like his.