7900 gtx in sli question : cooling

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I am getting a second 7900gtx and looking at my board , i was wondering how the gpu on top gets cooled because the fan is almost ontop of the second card? I dont have it yet but just eyeing it with another card in the pice slot. will it be ok temp wise
I have seen that alot of the nforce sli boards have two pci spaces in the middle of the pcie slot. My board (p5wd2-e)has only 1 pcix1 slot in the middle.

thanks

PS. i know my board is a crossfire board no need to point that out.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I am getting a second 7900gtx and looking at my board , i was wondering how the gpu on top gets cooled because the fan is almost ontop of the second card? I dont have it yet but just eyeing it with another card in the pice slot. will it be ok temp wise
I have seen that alot of the nforce sli boards have two pci spaces in the middle of the pcie slot. My board (p5wd2-e)has only 1 pcix1 slot in the middle.

thanks

PS. i know my board is a crossfire board no need to point that out.

What case are you useing?
I have found that Coolermasters run the coolest.

That PSU you have is what troubles me the most tho. I build alot and just sent back 10 only two weeks ago (thats right...TEN) after one failed within 24 hours and will never use them ever again.
So much for 10 for $490 plus shipping....won't take them for free now.

As far as a crossfire MB...np running Nvidia SLI cards on it unlike the NF4 chipset. I have never had a customer want one so I am not sure how well you can adjust (OC) them.
Drop me a line when your done playing around with it if you would please.

Z

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Well I don't think that heat is going to be the issue here since (as you stated) you have a crossfire board. Good Luck with that :lol:

Mark my words sli will work or my motherboard will die frying. :)

i am not a fan of the psu either because of its cooling but as far as problems i like its performance. I have this psu also but i was having alot of issues when overclocking. But the psu will be my next upgrade soon as i do some research on performance.

my case is a Thermaltake WinGO V7000C XaserV < not to happy despite all the fans i dont think it has good airflow and i cant mount a radiator in it

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I have the Gigabyte GA-8N SLI Royal and it has the same PCI-e layout with only one slot space in between. So with it's very limited option to cooling, either stay with the stock or go for water cooling, in which what I did and got both my cards (7800GTX) water cooled.

Them good aftermarket vga coolers from Zalman and Artic Cooling are huge and takes up two more slots below the card. I have tried this already and find out for myself.

So the good thing would be to water cool it which also makes the noise lower significantly.

mat347

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Are those the "superclocked" Evga's @690?? If so, you may run into issues with heat buildup, some people even have problems with that clock setting with just one card, they get artifacts after an hour or so of playing and end up underclocking them.

If you do run into heat buildup issues, you can do a few things.
1. Go watercooled, it's $$ but it would be the best solution.
2. Get some arctic coolers as they push all of the heat out the back of the case. Don't expect much more performance though.
3. Get some more case fans and add some holes in the panel just above the video cards, fans should be right over the GPUs intakes blowing in.

I suggest 3 over 2, it's cheaper and will probably work better.