Need some help with AS5

monkeyman679

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Howdy with AS5 I know I need to remove the thermal interface material already on my proc and heatsink but my q is do I need to remove the proc to get the thermal material off or should I just leave it in the socket and use arctic clean to get it off.

weilin

Distinguished
clean off hte old crap with a moist towel first... (moist.. not dripping).. Next get a alochol wipe (preferably with 90% alcohol.. if not 70% is nice) and go over everything again. apply AS5 (thin coating) and your good to go. AS5 website has directions on how to apply their product. the Artic clearner would also work. No, u dont have to remove the processor but it would make the job easier. Remember to clean the old crap from both the cpu and the heatsink.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
You can use a lightly damp cloth or by using alcohol. If you can clean the cpu while it's on the mobo then do so, for removing the cpu to clean it might have a risk of damaging it during removal and installation. I used the thermalpaste remover/cleaner but the ones I mentioned above is good as well. Use enough AS5 just to cover the surface with a thin uniform layer using a credit card or whatever you can use to evenly spread the thermal paste.