Gaming problem

SiPex

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
I just recently installed my X1800XL about 2 hours ago and whenever i play any game, about a minute into the game my screen freezes for about 5 seconds and then the monitor turns off like on standby or something like if when theres no signal. The game will still be running though bcuz i can shoot and stuff and it makes noises. What is going on? any suggestions?

G

i don't know if the power supply is to blame as moitors aren't connected to the PSU. if his game froze perhaps but as he can still play it i would check other places.

to the OP, can you try different monitors and also check what your power options are set at.

It's the GC stopping; this has nothing to do with the monitor...

DrozD

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Your 1800 is shutting down output to the monitor. If it's overclocked, set back to stock, and try it. This sounds like a typical overheat problem. Remove the case covers and try it with a big house fan blowing in. Might give you a clue. If the 1800 is new, may be bad. good luck.

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
My vote is the psu. Not getting enough juice, probably. Overheating would produce artifacts or screen distortion before shutting off.
Also, could be that your card is just bad. Maybe there's a tricky connection that loses contact once it heats up.

DrozD

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
His monitor is not receiving any graphic info, but the game is still running.
Now what part of the PSU would that be ? Hmmmm ?

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
The card is not giving information to the monitor anymore. This is probably happening because the card itself is shutting off the data flow. The question is: why is the card stopping the flow? The monitor is working fine; it's going into standby once there isn't anything to display.
My theory, and the theory of most of the posters here is that the card is shutting down due to insufficient power flow. The voltage to the card must drop below the needed levels and it then shuts down. Not rocket science, just logic. The overheating component theory is still valid, too, but much more rare.
We need to know the wattage of the power supply to see if that's the problem. Many psu's say 500W or something, but that's only their peak performance, not intended for more than a couple of minutes. I think his psu can't support the card running.
The game continues to run because only the graphics card has shut down, not the computer. Everything else is running fine, it's just the gc that isn't getting the power it needs to output all that info to the monitor.

SiPex

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
its not heat issues beacuse the most ive seen it run is like 70C when gaming for like a minute. Ive been asking this question on other forums too and ive figured out that i need a new psu. This graphics card requires on a 12V rail to have at least 28 amps. Mines 450 watt but its a single 12V rail with 20 amps.

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Oh, look. We were all right, and you were wrong. Not only that, but you make yourself look like an idiot by being such a prick about it. Next time be polite, especially when you don't have much experience on the current topic.

DrozD

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Opps, Very Sorry. :( Smacks hand.
Didn't make sense to me at first.
Soon SiPex will let us know that the new ps cured it. Hope so.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Well ive finally gotten a new psu and still i have the same problem....... :cry:

Well this might sound stupid but its something to check :)

Right click your desktop select properties then select the screen saver tab then click the power button and the option to turn monitor off make sure it says "Never Off" see if that fixes you :)

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Hmmm you updated your drivers when you installed the new card ? Maybe you should download the newest versions (you probably already have) another thing to try is Driver Cleaner you should clean out the old drivers and the new ones and reinstall the newest ones. This is the page for that end. As you can probably tell I think you have a software issue :) it could be a bad card but I would try the software route first then return it lol

http://www.drivercleaner.net/

sp6yd6er6

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
I still wouldn't put it past being some kind of heat issue... Try doing anything you can to keep the temp lower. Unfortunately either way, I guess you might still need a replacement, seeing as though you've tried just about everything else.

Best of Luck!

teeko

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
I had the exact same problem with my ATI 850xt. After a week of me and the computer shop trying everything I finnaly e-mailed ATI. and i was told to go into my bios and bump up my AGP voltage from 1.5 volts to 1.6 and TADA!!! everything worked fine after that. Now I know you do not have AGP but maybe look into this area with your PCI setup. Most people agree on this post that it sounds like a power issue and since you replaced your power supply and nothing changed you might want to check with ATI on wither your PCI voltage is correct. Good Luck.

SiPex

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
well my vid card runs around 65C just like while going on the internet and stuff not gaming. Is there anyway i could check my temp while im gaming?

Also my 12v rails are running around 11.92 through 11.85 just while roaming the internet. COuld this be a problem too?

SiPex

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
In my bios i could only adjust the pci-e socket voltage not the card. I also tried rasing it in ATi tool but still didnt work.

teeko

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
I don't know if you read my post correctly. "It was the socket voltage" that i had to turn up not any card voltage to correct the same problem you are having.

teeko

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
I don't know if you read my post correctly. "It was the socket voltage"that i had to turn up not any card voltage to correct the same problem you are having.

TRENDING THREADS