Posting this Question for my brother... West of Indianapolis

Last response: in Network Providers
October 7, 2004 2:43:24 AM

Dear Folks,

I am posting this question for my brother who lives west of Indianapolis.

He is temporarily having trouble posting to UsenNet groups... but he can
read them fine. If you can help w/ the following questions... it would
be most helpful! Thank you...

Jalin

The situation:

We live west of Indianapolis in a rural area.

No cellular provider has a very strong signal here.

Difficult to make calls from inside our brick house.

Cingular seems to be as good as any and we do like like their selection
of calling plans.

The SE T637 is the phone we are leaning toward.

Q1. Can an external antenna be added to the 637 when we are in the
house and would it make a substantial difference in the amoun of signal
gathered.

Note: Cingular phones can make calls from inside our house.... only if
they are near a window on the Indianapolis side of our house.

Q2. If I buy an "unlocked" 637 from another supplier, will Cingular
"lock" it during their authorization process.

Thanks for any and all input you might provide.

-=- terry -=-

Thanks again... Jalin
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 11:11:42 AM

In <pISdnTSv6dfTMPncRVn-hg@comcast.com> on Wed, 06 Oct 2004 22:43:24 -0400,
ArcWeld-jalin <-@-.comcast.net> wrote:

>We live west of Indianapolis in a rural area.
>
>No cellular provider has a very strong signal here.
>
>Difficult to make calls from inside our brick house.
>
>Cingular seems to be as good as any and we do like like their selection
>of calling plans.
>
>The SE T637 is the phone we are leaning toward.
>
>Q1. Can an external antenna be added to the 637 when we are in the
>house

Yes.

>and would it make a substantial difference in the amoun of signal
>gathered.

Not unless the actual antenna is outside, or at least behind a window with a
better view of the tower.

>Q2. If I buy an "unlocked" 637 from another supplier, will Cingular
>"lock" it during their authorization process.

No.

October 7, 2004 12:15:29 PM

wrote:

>Cingular seems to be as good as any and we do like like their selection
>of calling plans.
>
>The SE T637 is the phone we are leaning toward.
>
>Q1. Can an external antenna be added to the 637 when we are in the
>house and would it make a substantial difference in the amoun of signal
>gathered.

I'm not familiar with the SE T637 so I can't say authoritatively. If
there's no jack on the phone for using an external antenna the only
other alternative is an "induction" type antenna. An external high
mounted antenna may improve things but to get really good reception
you'd probably need an indoor repeater which can cost as much as $700.

>Q2. If I buy an "unlocked" 637 from another supplier, will Cingular
>"lock" it during their authorization process.

No! Once a handset is unlocked it's unlocked permanently. cingular
will not relock it.