What software can i use on XP

September 19, 2004 8:51:30 PM

maybe a silly question...

but what, if any, previous windows 98/NT/2000 software can i use on XP
Professional?

More about : software

Anonymous
September 19, 2004 8:51:31 PM

Most any and all will still run, though you will likely get a pop-up asking
if you want to update files you've opened to the newer version that is
currently on your PC. It is a pretty good idea to do so, unless you will
have to bring that file back to a computer that only has the older version of
a given program.

In general, the newer can open and work with older, but older can not always
work with newer.

BPL

"zoids" wrote:

> maybe a silly question...
>
> but what, if any, previous windows 98/NT/2000 software can i use on XP
> Professional?

Anonymous
September 19, 2004 8:51:31 PM

Hi,

Most of it, though some older DOS-based 9x programs won't run if they
require direct hardware access (not allowed in XP). Some may require a patch
or upgrade, some you may run in compatibility mode
(start/programs/accessories/program compatibility wizard).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"zoids" <zoids@zoids.com.au> wrote in message
> maybe a silly question...
>
> but what, if any, previous windows 98/NT/2000 software can i use on XP
> Professional?

September 19, 2004 11:19:56 PM

check here to see if your program is listed and if there have been problems
with it http://www.xpsc.net/

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"zoids" <zoids@zoids.com.au> wrote in message
> maybe a silly question...
>
> but what, if any, previous windows 98/NT/2000 software can i use on XP
> Professional?

February 6, 2005 1:05:01 AM

I have windows xp...can i run software for windows 95 or 98 on my system?

Laurie

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Most of it, though some older DOS-based 9x programs won't run if they
> require direct hardware access (not allowed in XP). Some may require a patch
> or upgrade, some you may run in compatibility mode
> (start/programs/accessories/program compatibility wizard).
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "zoids" <zoids@zoids.com.au> wrote in message
> > maybe a silly question...
> >
> > but what, if any, previous windows 98/NT/2000 software can i use on XP
> > Professional?

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 2:41:26 AM

Some software will run without change. Some, especially DOS based programs,
will not. In many cases, the program's manufacturer has updated the program
to run on XP.

XP includes a Program Compatibility Wizard (Start>All
Programs>Accessories>PCW) that can tell the OS how to configure an
environment in which to run the program. This does not always yield the
desired result, but often does. See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q301911/.

In addition, by using Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 (on XP Pro), you can run the
older versions of Windows for even easier compatibility without the need for
special partitoning or rebooting to run the legacy OS. See:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx

If you have specific programs you need to run, ask more specific questions
here.

"Laurie" <Laurie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have windows xp...can i run software for windows 95 or 98 on my system?
>
> Laurie
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Most of it, though some older DOS-based 9x programs won't run if they
>> require direct hardware access (not allowed in XP). Some may require a
>> patch
>> or upgrade, some you may run in compatibility mode
>> (start/programs/accessories/program compatibility wizard).
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "zoids" <zoids@zoids.com.au> wrote in message
>> > maybe a silly question...
>> >
>> > but what, if any, previous windows 98/NT/2000 software can i use on XP
>> > Professional?

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 11:51:30 AM

In news:ADBDAF3D-ECF7-4A6D-A144-1D390D902A30@microsoft.com,
Laurie <Laurie@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I have windows xp...can i run software for windows 95 or 98 on
> my
> system?

Certainly. Most such programs will run without doing anythings
special. Some may require that you run them in compatibility
mode. A few may not run at all.

What do you want to run? Try it and see.

Please reply to the newsgroup
!