Sign in with
Your question

hard drive imaging

Last response: in Storage
May 20, 2006 1:56:15 AM

i am trying to figure out why my new hard drive setup is not working to great for me. i started off with a 160 gig ata-100 drive that i filled up completely, so for my next drive, i bought a 250 gig sata-300 drive. i used a ghost boot cd to image over all the contents of the old 160 to the new 250 so i could boot off it, but after i finished, i had all kinds of problems. the performance was very low (much slower on a half filled 250 gig sata-300 drive w/ ncq than a completely full 160 gig ata-100 drive? :evil:  ) and some programs and files refused to load. any idea why this got screwed up? should i retry my proceedure or try something else? am i going to have to reinstall windows and ALL OF MY 1.21 JAGILLION PROGRAMS to be able to boot off my 250 gig hard drive?

More about : hard drive imaging

May 20, 2006 9:45:47 PM

Quote:
i am trying to figure out why my new hard drive setup is not working to great for me. i started off with a 160 gig ata-100 drive that i filled up completely, so for my next drive, i bought a 250 gig sata-300 drive. i used a ghost boot cd to image over all the contents of the old 160 to the new 250 so i could boot off it, but after i finished, i had all kinds of problems. the performance was very low (much slower on a half filled 250 gig sata-300 drive w/ ncq than a completely full 160 gig ata-100 drive? :evil:  ) and some programs and files refused to load. any idea why this got screwed up? should i retry my proceedure or try something else? am i going to have to reinstall windows and ALL OF MY 1.21 JAGILLION PROGRAMS to be able to boot off my 250 gig hard drive?

Under windoze you are almost always better off re-installing from scratch.

Under Linux you can upgrade the hardware and go without re-installing.
!