Sign in with
Your question

Unlike drives in raid 0

Last response: in Storage
May 20, 2006 3:16:11 AM

Hi, I dont really know much about raid and want to try it. I have 2 ata 100 hard drives in my computer both seagate. But one is 120 gig and the other is 160 gig. In a raid 0 config would these work together? And if not can i format the 160 gig to 120 gig to make it work?

More about : unlike drives raid

May 20, 2006 4:38:39 AM

Oh ya if it matters I have a pci promise ata 100 controller non pro version. I think its limited to 127gb max so ill have to partition the the 160 gig down to 120 gig.
May 20, 2006 5:19:47 PM

The non-RAID version of that controller has a BIOS update that fixes that problem. But the new driver that goes with the BIOS update is unsigned so you have to watch because XP will try to use its built in driver instead with doesn't work once the BIOS is upgraded. (Actually it works, but everything past 127 GB is seen as a bad sector).

Anyway I doubt they would issue a BIOS update for just the NON-RAID version so update your BIOS to detect larger drives, instructions are on their website.

---
When you create and initialize the array all the contents of the drives is erased so any partitionig you do is meaningless.

Once the array is created it will appear as one unpartition drive with double the capacity of the smaller drive.

Then you can do your partititioning, install windows (pressing F6 to lose the right drivers) ...

---
When using RAID 0 you will lose all your data is either drive or the controller fails or if the controller simply screws up and you are unable to reconstruct the array.

Write down the exact settings you use when creating the array in case you have to attempt to recreate it later (without initilizing) to recover from a problem.

Having a sound backup strategy is a must if there is anything on the array you cannot afford to lose.
Related resources
May 20, 2006 8:39:10 PM

Quote:
Hi, I dont really know much about raid and want to try it. I have 2 ata 100 hard drives in my computer both seagate. But one is 120 gig and the other is 160 gig. In a raid 0 config would these work together? And if not can i format the 160 gig to 120 gig to make it work?

I don't think you understand how RAID0 work.

First, the array will be treated like 1 big disk that will be 2 times the size of the smallest drive. In your case, you'll loose 40 gigs out of the 160 gigs.

Second, the speed of the array will work will be as fast as the slowest drive. so, if one drive is slower that the other, the slower drive will set the speed for the fastest one.

Third, formatting your drive will do nothing for the same reason of my first comment.

Fourth, there is a RAID faq at the top of this forum.. read it.
May 20, 2006 9:42:59 PM

Quote:

I don't think you understand how RAID0 work.

First, the array will be treated like 1 big disk that will be 2 times the size of the smallest drive. In your case, you'll loose 40 gigs out of the 160 gigs.

Second, the speed of the array will work will be as fast as the slowest drive. so, if one drive is slower that the other, the slower drive will set the speed for the fastest one.

Third, formatting your drive will do nothing for the same reason of my first comment.

Fourth, there is a RAID faq at the top of this forum.. read it.

Yes, indeed :-D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/RAID-FAQ-V1-fto...
May 23, 2006 1:05:16 AM

Oh, ya uh raid FAQ didnt quite see that. :oops:  sorry guys.
May 23, 2006 1:11:33 AM

Quote:
Oh, ya uh raid FAQ didnt quite see that. :oops:  sorry guys.

No problem :-D

That's what we are here for.

Search first, ask questions later ;-)
!