topgunw

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Hello everyone,
I am looking to build a new computer. I have an asus A8n32-deluxe mobo right now. (Socket 939) and I was wondering what the pros and cons are for the FX series, X2, and Opteron. I am going into university to be a programmer/computer engineer and am an avid gamer, playing the most graphic intensive games. I know that whichever of these I end up chosing it will be the highest dual core out of that category. By the way... price is not that big of a deal, but if there is something that is a lot more money for not that much more bang then obviously money is a factor. Thanks for your time.

topgunw

ThunderGodThor

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
No real cons in any of them. The Fx cost a lot but u get an unlocked multiplyer. The x2 and opty are largely the same but the optys usuall clocked a little lower take the 165. its clocked at 1.8 but optys oc very well as good as fx or better some times. the 165 its not unheard to hit 2.8 on air. Some of the best have been over 3.0. the x2 3800 is clocked at 2.0 but they dont oc as well and might only get 2.4 or a little higher.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
FX CPUs are a waste of money, the unlocked multiplier and higher stock frequency are'nt worth the huge premium.

Manchester cores, especially the '06xx ones are leaps and bound ahead of earlier ones (like my 0543), beyond that, it all boils down to your how far you are willing to push your hardware.

As far as gaming is concerned, the GPU is much more important that the CPU is, no matter how hard you try, a 3000+ paired up with a bleeding edge GPU will easely outperform an FX60 with a GeForce4 MX...

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
You might want to wait untill the release of intels new Conroe CPU in July before you pruchase anything, even if you dont go for a conroe its release and the release of AM2 in a few days will push down spcket939 prices.

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
From what I can tell from benchmarks:
The FX-60 is about 30% more powerful in games but 200% more expensive than a 3800 X2.
Overclocking the 3800 X2 you can usually get to 2.4Ghz but the FX-60 will be much harder to raise from 2.7GHz.

The opeterons are clocked lower than their X2 counterparts but run at a lower voltage - it just so happens that on average you can get them to a better clock than an X2.

However, my X2 is running at 2.7gHz on 1.3375V (the lower end of stock), so it's not a cut and dry thing between the opterons. It's all down to the luck of the draw.

By the way, here's a great double dual opteron system that looks awesome!
http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?cat=systems&id=443&pagenumber=2

Overall, I'd probably say wait for conroe. I'm an AMD fanboy and a bit dubious of the results of an unreleased chip but if it is as good as all that, I'd switch to core. Besides, you could still save a tonne of money on other chips when it comes out.

topgunw

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Like I said, dont look at the prices please. I work for a computer store at the moment, and all of these processors will cost me about the same price as one another so price really doesnt matter. Thanks again for your time and I know that the vid card is the main thing. In fact I am planning to get 2 7900GTX running in SLi as well as a PPU (new technology Physics Processing Unit just in case anyone hasnt heard about it).

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
unless your getting that PPU for free i wouldn't even bother, right now it has very limited support from games, and of those games you might not even like them or play them, you should just wait later until it is used in more games and such and there is more than one on the market so prices won't be so damn high, wait and they will be cheaper AND better and actually be used in more than handful of games