How high is too high?! :-/

Kwijibo

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I applied new thermal paste too my heatspreader, im afraid my temps are too high now, between 68-75+ 85 tops, thats in celcius. is this normal after applying new paste? my proc is p4 prescott at 3.0ghz.

Kwijibo

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
ok, i thought something was up. i thought the thermal paste i put in would have spread with the preasure of the hsf, but it didnt. so it was thick, and didnt fill the whole heatspreader, so i used a card, and spread it around. it worked. HEHE my temps are even lower than when i started.
**WARNING** thermal paste advice: dont depend on the HSF to spread the paste.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
You need to get a Artic Silver 5 thermal paste and apply just enough to cover with a thin uniform layer.

Too thick would just makes it harder for the heat to transfer. Also what kind of cooling do you use on that cpu? If it's stock then you might want to upgrade to an aftermarket HSF for better cooling.

Kwijibo

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I got the Zalman cnps7700 but it didnt fit, im planning on keeping it though for a different comp. i used the zalman paste on the old HSF cause i needed to remove the old HSF to make sure the new one didnt fit(lol).

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Get the Thermaltake Big Typhoon HSF and Artic Silver 5 thermal paste and that should get your temps low. I have that setup before my water cooling with my Pentium D 840 and the Big Typhoon gives me 48-50c idle and 58-60c full load with my cpu overclocked from 3.2 to 3.8Ghz at 1.4v at normal room temp of 30-32c. I replaced the 120mm with the Silverstone FM121 120mm fan that comes with a fan controller.

I got it from Newegg along with the thermal paste.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
ok, i thought something was up. i thought the thermal paste i put in would have spread with the preasure of the hsf, but it didnt. so it was thick, and didnt fill the whole heatspreader, so i used a card, and spread it around. it worked. HEHE my temps are even lower than when i started.
**WARNING** thermal paste advice: dont depend on the HSF to spread the paste.

It sounds like you didn't install the HS correctly if that is what happened.

The dot method will work fine, especially stock HSF that lock down, and doesn't move around when installing the stock HSF.

I found the dot method great with my stock intel HSF.

But it wasn't so great with my 7700 Zalman, since it moved around abit when trying to get the screw holes to line up.

So, I used a razor to spread it evenly on the heatspreader.