Is this really a motherboard-related problem?

mhdhallak

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Hi

I wanna consult your expert opinions on this problem I recently started having in my PC.

Here are some quick facts:

Type/Manufacturer: Fujitsu Siemens SCALEO T
Date of Purchase: About 1 year ago
System Specs [PDF]

My problem is the following:

I own a USB portable harddisk drive (60 GB). If I try to hook up this device to the computer before or after starting the computer, the computer will shut down or wont start. It's as if the harddrive is sucking up all the power or something. If i remove the USB drive, the computer will start normally.

Anohter USB-based device, my ADSL modem, presents similar problem. If I start the computer with this device hooked up, the computer will keep restarting infintely before logging on to the OS.

Note that other USB-based perepherial devices (such mouse, keyboard, bluetooth, web camera) work just fine.

I have tried the two devices that are causing problem (my USB harddrive and ADSL modem) on another machine and another laptop. They work just fine.

I started suspecting that the reason why they're causing problem is that they might consume relatively more power than the other simpler devices (e.g., mouse and keyboard). And so this problem is either a power supply problem or fearfully a motherboard problem. But I just can't figure out which.

Have you guys experienced anything like this awkward problem or do you have any suggestions ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Some BIOS have a setting for power level on the USB ports. Also some MB have jumpers to cotrol the USB power. You will just have to look and see how yours is setup.

mhdhallak

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Have you tried other USB ports on that same computer?

Yes indeed.

Some BIOS have a setting for power level on the USB ports. Also some MB have jumpers to cotrol the USB power. You will just have to look and see how yours is setup.

Well that's possible. I have an ASUS motherboard. Don't know which kind. Will have to wait and see when I get my PC back from a local PC hardware store. They're giving it a shot at fixing although I doubt they will coz this is one of the freakiest problems you could ever get ! :)

danmel

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
The same thing happened to me, but in my case the computer was trying to boot from the unit (i.e a harddrive) and with no boot info on the unit, i guess anything could happen.

Entered the BIOS Setup and removed USB disc from the Boot Order...

yquo

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
USB uses 5V check 5V line with MbMonitor or SpeedFan, I believe there is a way within XP to change the power requirements of the usb ports but I don't know if it is true or how to do it

mhdhallak

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Just to follow up on this issue for those who might get such a problem in the future:

Totally a power supply problem!

The technicians at my local Fujitsu Siemens service center overlooked (or probably lied) about testing with a different power supply and went ahead and ordered a new motherboard for the machine. It took 2 weeks to arrive and when they installed and declared the system working, I took it home and the same problem happened!

Furiously, I took it back to them the next morning. It took them another week to let me know that it turns out it's a power supply problem and they changed the power supply and it worked.

It was such an obvious call from the beginning. But i'm guessing they wanted to make more money with a new motherboard order. I'm not sure. But whatever it was, I'm totally unsatisifed with their level of service and would probably not purchase a Fujitsu Siemens device in the future unless it came with more than 1 year of warranty.

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Just to follow up on this issue for those who might get such a problem in the future:

Totally a power supply problem!

The technicians at my local Fujitsu Siemens service center overlooked (or probably lied) about testing with a different power supply and went ahead and ordered a new motherboard for the machine. It took 2 weeks to arrive and when they installed and declared the system working, I took it home and the same problem happened!

Furiously, I took it back to them the next morning. It took them another week to let me know that it turns out it's a power supply problem and they changed the power supply and it worked.

It was such an obvious call from the beginning. But i'm guessing they wanted to make more money with a new motherboard order. I'm not sure. But whatever it was, I'm totally unsatisifed with their level of service and would probably not purchase a Fujitsu Siemens device in the future unless it came with more than 1 year of warranty.

Sounds like Dell. Lol. Anyway, build your own system as I am now. There are PLENTY of nice people on the net and especially this forum that can help you and have helped me. DON'T BUY DELL.