Sign in with
Your question

Will a 400 watt PS (Antec SP-400) be enough for mid range?

Last response: in Components
May 20, 2006 4:26:03 PM

I'm looking at the following setup

AMD X2 3800
Asus A8N-E (1 gig of ram, maybe 2)
7600GT
Western Digital 2500ks (maybe a smaller/cheaper sata II drive)
1 DVD Rom or writer (havn't decided yet, maybe the NEC 3550A?)

And I'm looking at the Antec TX640B which comes with a 400 watt power "antec smart power" supply (I don't like certain things about the sonata II, the finish and the hinged dealy). Will 400 watts be enough for this machine?

I don't plan to overclock at all. Or even better, can someone tell me if the 12 V is decent on this power supply since I've heard that's more important for the video card anyways (instead of the wattage of the power supply).

***Edit***
Ok, looking at antec's website, the SP-400 is only listed as having 10a/15a on the two 12v rails. Should I really look for a PS that has an 18 amp 12 volt rail?
May 20, 2006 6:23:23 PM

i'd say to be absolutely certain.. think about a 450W supply, although some other people may not agree with this. If the majority say that 400 is ok... then go with that.
May 20, 2006 7:41:13 PM

I would suggest atleast a 450w PSU to be safe though your system shouldn't really need for then 300w. These are good one for around $100 on newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
(No PFC on the above 2)

If you're willing to go a little higher then this one from OCZ retails for $129-$10 MIR + $7shipping = $126. Its a 600w PSU and should last you for a long long time and is a good investment. Though it might be an overkill but seeing its better then most and not overpriced....you might wanna have a go at it.
May 21, 2006 7:57:01 AM

I would look for stronger 12v rails. Minimum 18A, don't worry so much about

the TOTAL power.
May 21, 2006 8:09:15 AM

The total power of that PSU will be enough for you system specs, but as 1Tanker said, some 18A rails will be a bless :D 
May 21, 2006 8:45:21 AM

As the last two said.... that psu has enough wattage.... I would not go with anything below 18-20amp rails if I were you. That system is probably less than 200W with a cpu and gpu load. And that is 200W draw from the wall, not actual.
a b ) Power supply
May 22, 2006 2:28:07 AM

The 400w PSU should be fine.

The X2 3800+ draws 65w at full load.

I'm guessing the 7600GT should draw at most 42w, the 7900GT draws 49w.

Add in 20w for the mobo, 20w for the HDD, 15w for the DVD drive, 10w for two stick of RAM, 10w for a sound card, and 10w for two case fans.

That's a total of and estimate 192w at full load. Actually, power consumption during game play will be a little lower at around 175w and that is assuming the CPU and GPU are both stressed to their limits by the game at the same time.
May 22, 2006 2:54:19 AM

i know this is a minor detail... but generally, case fans (of the non-LED variety) only use about 3-4W. It does depend on their RPM though...
May 22, 2006 3:09:02 AM

I'm running an ANTEC SL-400... and my system drains way more power than yours should.
I wouldn't spend an extra 100 bucks on a PSU, Antec makes good power supplies.
May 22, 2006 3:50:12 AM

Quote:

1 DVD Rom or writer (havn't decided yet, maybe the NEC 3550A?)

good choice
May 22, 2006 4:54:47 AM

Quote:
I would suggest atleast a 450w PSU to be safe though your system shouldn't really need for then 300w. These are good one for around $100 on newegg

This puppy is running an X1900XT with no probs on my son's Opty rig:

Very nice build quality, nice modular cables, plenty of PS for your needs. $60 after MIR.
a b ) Power supply
May 22, 2006 4:58:05 AM

Quote:
i know this is a minor detail... but generally, case fans (of the non-LED variety) only use about 3-4W. It does depend on their RPM though...

As far as I can tell 120mm fans uses around 0.5 to 0.6 amps at full speed. More if they are LED fans. My estimate of 10w for 2 fans takes into consideration less than max RPMs.

Here is a review of a 120mm LED fan using 0.6 amps. The reviewer was actually shocked that at full speed, this LED fan only is 0.6 amps. That works out to 7.2 watts.
May 22, 2006 5:04:53 AM

Quote:

As far as I can tell 120mm fans uses around 0.5 to 0.6 amps at full speed. More if they are LED fans. My estimate of 10w for 2 fans takes into consideration less than max RPMs.

Here is a review of a 120mm LED fan using 0.6 amps. The reviewer was actually shocked that at full speed, this LED fan only is 0.6 amps. That works out to 7.2 watts.

You said case fans.... you didn't say what size though, so i assumed you meant 80mm fans...

Since you meant 120mm fans... your estimate was correct.
May 22, 2006 5:38:16 AM

Quote:

Very nice build quality, nice modular cables, plenty of PS for your needs. $60 after MIR.

Now that's a gr8 deal....i wonder how i missed that :?
May 22, 2006 6:34:51 AM

Quote:

Now that's a gr8 deal....i wonder how i missed that :?

:-D

Hmm... that OCZ looks really good... almost too good.

Some of the reviews do not bode well.

Good Luck :-D
May 22, 2006 1:50:28 PM

Quote:

I'll tell you a couple of things that helped with the decision. First, talking to the engineer that spec'ed that PS. He gave me some failure stats and they looked fine to me. He also told me about the kinds of in-house testing they do now with well-used copies of that PS. Basically they use them on test benches with a variety of graphics cards to test memory modules. So they run long and hard in a warm room. Second, I talked to other engineers that design power supplies. A couple of them mentioned that specific OCZ power supply (the Modstream 520) as a standard in the gaming PC industry. All of these discussions were within the context of how many supposedly high performance power supplies are having trouble running the new high-current graphics cards. So, yes, I saw some negative reviews out there too. But when other PS designers are basically jealous of a specific device, that tells you something. One more thing - I get the drift that it will not be available much longer. OCZ recently changed their PS lineup, adding the GamExtreme 600 and 700 models and if I understand correctly, the 520 is on the way out.
May 22, 2006 6:13:39 PM

Quote:

I'll tell you a couple of things that helped with the decision. First, talking to the engineer that spec'ed that PS. He gave me some failure stats and they looked fine to me. He also told me about the kinds of in-house testing they do now with well-used copies of that PS. Basically they use them on test benches with a variety of graphics cards to test memory modules. So they run long and hard in a warm room. Second, I talked to other engineers that design power supplies. A couple of them mentioned that specific OCZ power supply (the Modstream 520) as a standard in the gaming PC industry. All of these discussions were within the context of how many supposedly high performance power supplies are having trouble running the new high-current graphics cards. So, yes, I saw some negative reviews out there too. But when other PS designers are basically jealous of a specific device, that tells you something. One more thing - I get the drift that it will not be available much longer. OCZ recently changed their PS lineup, adding the GamExtreme 600 and 700 models and if I understand correctly, the 520 is on the way out.

:-D

I'm not sure what to make of that PSU. It seems like a very nice PSU but there are some disturbing failure reports. Of course that happens to everyone.
May 22, 2006 7:43:29 PM

Any idea on the question of the amperage that it requires though?
May 22, 2006 7:59:31 PM

Quote:
Any idea on the question of the amperage that it requires though?

Min RPM = 5 VDC * 0.6 A = 3.0 W

Max RPM = 12 VDC * 0.6 A = 7.2 W

Absolute max with LEDs = 12 VDC * 1A = 12 W max / fan
a c 121 ) Power supply
May 22, 2006 8:49:50 PM

This looks very similar to my setup (with a different mobo). My APC software says I'm only pulling 184-187 watts, but that's also with my printer on (but idle).

I've been happy with my Aspire 500W PSUs (backup PC has one too), but my next one might be that OCZ; I'm sure it is a step up in quality, and has more juice like if I want to add drives or RAM. The Aspire has two fans, which keep it cool, but I'm not sure how quiet they are.
Here it is:
!