Xeon (Woodcrest) – Any DP motherboards announced yet?

The Woodcrest Xeon pricing has been announced and they seem pretty cheap ($209 - $851); any news of supporting DP motherboards yet and what type of RAM they will use? If they use FB-DIMMs then that’s going to cost a lot I figure.
8 answers Last reply
More about xeon woodcrest motherboards announced
  1. Well I'm not completely sure about the compatibility but Gigabyte has announced a couple DP motherboards that use the Blackford chipset which is supossed to be compatible with the woodcrest xeons. As for the FB-DIMMs, those aren't too expensive. Kingston has 1 and 2 GB FB-DIMMS at about $186.52 and $426.xx from monarchcomputer.com again I'm not fully sure about the compatibility but I'll give you the links to the mb's

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Networking/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2262&ProductName=GA-7BESH-RH

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Networking/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2261&ProductName=GA-7VCSV-RH

I hope this helps.
  2. Thanks, those will support Woodcrest no doubt.
  3. No problem.

Hey do you know if any companies are going to be using NVidia chipsets for woodcrest boards?
  4. Quote:
    Hey do you know if any companies are going to be using NVidia chipsets for woodcrest boards?

I’m not aware of nVidia having plans to produce a chipset for Intel server CPUs.
  5. Hm... well I'm looking more towards the workstation market but I guess that works. I was just wondering since I read an article somewhere about the new NVidia 590 chipset being available for the new Core 2 Duo processors (conroe, woodcrest, etc...).
  6. nVidia 590 is only socket 775 (have only 1 fsb)
    HP it's going to use Intel chipset in 6400 and 8400 Woodcrest workstations.
  7. Oh ok, cool. Although it would be nice to have an NVidia chipset on a workstaion platform other than a P4 or an Opertron
  8. Quote:
    Oh ok, cool. Although it would be nice to have an NVidia chipset on a workstaion platform other than a P4 or an Opertron

It would be good to see a Woodcrest chipset for workstations that didn’t have all the bells and whistles of the Server version so the cost could be kept down. A chipset that supported RAM other than FB-DIMMs would be nice to. I guess there’s no market for that unless nVidia think otherwise!

If Woodcrest performs well, then it may force Opteron 2xx pricing lower, which is a good thing. I don’t remember such a turbulent time in the CPU market; from mobile all the way through to 2P Servers. Interesting times.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Xeon