Xeon (Woodcrest) – Any DP motherboards announced yet?

crow_smiling

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
The Woodcrest Xeon pricing has been announced and they seem pretty cheap ($209 - $851); any news of supporting DP motherboards yet and what type of RAM they will use? If they use FB-DIMMs then that’s going to cost a lot I figure.

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Well I'm not completely sure about the compatibility but Gigabyte has announced a couple DP motherboards that use the Blackford chipset which is supossed to be compatible with the woodcrest xeons. As for the FB-DIMMs, those aren't too expensive. Kingston has 1 and 2 GB FB-DIMMS at about $186.52 and $426.xx from monarchcomputer.com again I'm not fully sure about the compatibility but I'll give you the links to the mb's

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Networking/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2262&ProductName=GA-7BESH-RH

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Networking/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2261&ProductName=GA-7VCSV-RH

I hope this helps.

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Hm... well I'm looking more towards the workstation market but I guess that works. I was just wondering since I read an article somewhere about the new NVidia 590 chipset being available for the new Core 2 Duo processors (conroe, woodcrest, etc...).

crow_smiling

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
Oh ok, cool. Although it would be nice to have an NVidia chipset on a workstaion platform other than a P4 or an Opertron
It would be good to see a Woodcrest chipset for workstations that didn’t have all the bells and whistles of the Server version so the cost could be kept down. A chipset that supported RAM other than FB-DIMMs would be nice to. I guess there’s no market for that unless nVidia think otherwise!

If Woodcrest performs well, then it may force Opteron 2xx pricing lower, which is a good thing. I don’t remember such a turbulent time in the CPU market; from mobile all the way through to 2P Servers. Interesting times.