Home Premium x64 OEM upgrade to Ultimate x64 Full?

makua

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
I made the mistake of getting an OEM copy of windows 7, meaning I can only install it to one motherboard, however I plan on building a new system and I was wondering whether or not I should get the full version, just so I can transfer the license to another computer in the future. Also, is it possible to upgrade an OEM version to a full version? like windows 7 x64 home premium OEM --> windows 7 x64 Ultimate full version.

thanks

I experienced similar frustration when I upgraded my motherboard. I had to call Microsoft to get Win 7 (OEM) activated.

As a result, I wanted to upgrage to the full retail version. I call Microsoft regarding this. Yes, it can be done, but the cost is quite high. Besides, I don't have faith in such upgrades. In the event of problems, I will have to deal with Microsoft's call center people which is a challenge by itself.

Your best bet is to leave the present OEM version alone, and get the retail version for your next build.

makua

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008

Sounds like a pain, are you sure?

I am not just sure; I am positive! Technically, the upgrade will work, but when you run into problems, try explaining all this to some tech guy sitting in a call center in a foreign land.

Leave the present OEM alone - get retail for the next new build. Much cleaner practical approach.

Yes! Fortunately, in my case, I had upgraded my motherboard under EVGA's 'Step-Up' program. That is why I had to call MS and get Win 7 activated. And they told me that I would have to call them for activation for any future OS re-installs on this computer.