paul_baker

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
every so often after i changed my mobo and reinstalled windows i get teh BSOD and it gives me a reference # but how do i find out what is causing the problem. It is not a every boot problem and it happens when the os is loading the system tray icons.
my system dont run hot it stays about 44 C
my setup is
ASUS a8n-e
AMD 3700+ stock fan
2 Corsair VS512400 mem sticks in A1 and B1
BFG 7300 Video Card
XP home with sp2 and all latest updates.

the next time it blue screens, find a set of error codes in the form of 0x000000XX, where the last 2 X's are variables... note the characters where the X's are and check that code here

If there is more than one code in the form above, there will be one outside a set of brackets, and (most likely) 4 inside a set of brackets. The code you need to check at the site I listed for the code reference, is the one that's outside the brackets.

paul_baker

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
thanks here is what i got and min is the one that is at the bottom the memory access violation. now i run memtest and my memory tests fine. how can i test to see if it my board or something else?

Bug Check 0x7E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
The SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED bug check has a value of 0x0000007E. This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

Parameters
The following parameters are displayed on the blue screen.

Parameter Description
1 The exception code that was not handled
2 The address at which the exception occurred
3 The address of the exception record
4 The address of the context record

Cause
This is a very common bug check. To interpret it, you must identify which exception was generated.

Common exception codes include:

0x80000002: STATUS_DATATYPE_MISALIGNMENT
An unaligned data reference was encountered.

0x80000003: STATUS_BREAKPOINT
A breakpoint or ASSERT was encountered when no kernel debugger was attached to the system.

0xC0000005: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
A memory access violation occurred.

get idle and 100% load temps for all of these components (do it from safe mode if you have to): CPU, Motherboard, Video - if it has temp sensors, power supply, and hard drives. You may not be able to get the video, hard drives or power supply, but do get the cpu, board and any of the other 3 that you can.

If you have overclock's applied to ANY components, set them back to stock speeds and see if the BSOD still appears. Also listen for any odd noises from the hard drive(s) just before the BSOD occurs. Reinstall the major drivers (Video, Audio and Network) from the driver CD that came with the system.

Another thing to try would be booting into safe mode a few times and see if the BSOD appears. If it doesn't it's probably a driver that's causing this issue. If it does, then it's either hardware related or Windows itself with a problem.

paul_baker

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
i think i solved it i went into safemode and removed all my nvidia drivers then reinstalled the latest ones from the nvidia site and so far so good.